"Immersion": Yu Suzuki's Keyword for 2018

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

"Immersion": Yu Suzuki's Keyword for 2018

Postby Switch » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:03 am

Japanese website Famitsu.com has carried out their annual survey, interviewing 107 game creators to ask their resolution for the year ahead and personal direction for 2018.

I've posted up an English translation of Yu Suzuki's responses on the Phantom River Stone blog. His keyword for the coming year is "immersion" as he will be devoting all his energy to the Shenmue III project.
http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/1 ... rsion.html

Switch has received 3 thanks from: Abraham_1, O Rei do Frango Assado, Rikitatsu
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Re: "Immersion": Yu Suzuki's Keyword for 2018

Postby Rikitatsu » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:47 am

While Suzuki continues to says he got Shenhua's face right this time, I still think it will be a departure from our Shenhua (the one in Shenmue 2).

He seems to be intentionally drifting away from her old design based on what we've seen in the trailer, not only she is more "Anime", but her outfit is vastly different.

I expect her final look will barely resemble the old Shenhua. Guess we'll see in MAGIC.

2003:

2015:

2017:

2018:

???? Hopefully closer to 2001 than anything above.

Rikitatsu has received a thanks from: Switch
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hazuki00 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:04 am

Thanks switch!

Hazuki00 has received a thanks from: Switch
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:08 am

Rikitatsu wrote: While Suzuki continues to says he got Shenhua's face right this time, I still think it will be a departure from our Shenhua (the one in Shenmue 2).

He seems to be intentionally drifting away from her old design based on what we've seen in the trailer, not only she is more "Anime", but her outfit is vastly different.

I expect her final look will barely resemble the old Shenhua. Guess we'll see in MAGIC.

2003:

2015:

2017:

2018:

This is how she should look Image hopefully at Magic Monaco, the finished Shenhua looks exactly like this (or at least similar).
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby gillian_seed » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:37 am

It is not coherent to show Shenhua wearing a diferent outfit inmediatly after Shenmue 2's ending, as was shown in Gamescom trailer. I hope they have redesigned Shenhua from the scratch, because last model shown was miles away from 2001's Shenhua. It's not about making her look diferent, but to not make her look far worse that the one modelled 16 years ago.
gillian_seed
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami

Postby darksniper » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:31 pm

While Shenhua's model clearly needs work. I'm not going to pass any judgment on the character models until I see Lan Di and Ren's model. Those are the two I really want to see.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:54 pm

darksniper wrote: While Shenhua's model clearly needs work. I'm not going to pass any judgment on the character models until I see Lan Di and Ren's model. Those are the two I really want to see.

There's pretty much no way they can mess up the models of Lan Di and Ren. It's so easy. Unlike Ryo and Shenhua, they don't have tons of CG promo models and DC models and stuff to the point where you have to do a lot of research in order to find the best one. Here, they just need to copy the Dreamcast models of Ren and Lan Di but create a HD version of them for modern consoles. Don't alter the facial features or anything like that at all just give them a graphical upgrade and you've got your perfect Lan Di and Ren!
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby adom11800 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:41 pm

Cheers for this Switch. I wonder what Shenhua looks like now? :-k I expect her to look different to her old 2003 model of course but hopefully she will look more like herself. To me the 2015 one is better then the 2017 one so it's interesting to see what her final model is gonna look like in 2018.
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby shredingskin » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:19 pm

I'm gonna be a little cynic here and I'm gonna say the comment about Shenhua seems like an excuse to say "we are gonna keep working on it".
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Suzuki Yu » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:04 pm

Rikitatsu wrote: While Suzuki continues to says he got Shenhua's face right this time, I still think it will be a departure from our Shenhua (the one in Shenmue 2).

2003:

2015:

2017:

2018:

this is just reminds me how much i hated the SII model (it wasn't bad but i never felt of any satisfactions towards it)
to me the Shenmue 1 ver (which is a less detailed model) was much better and on-point with what the character should look like.
Suzuki Yu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:18 pm

Suzuki Yu wrote:

2003:

2015:

2017:

2018:

this is just reminds me how much i hated the SII model (it wasn't bad but i never felt of any satisfactions towards it)
to me the Shenmue 1 ver (which is a less detailed model) was much better and on-point with what the character should look like.

As always, one of the CG models should be the aim (in this case, it's the one I posted above). It's time to go above and beyond even the DC models. Shenmue III is the chance to get them!
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Centrale » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:37 pm

Shenmue_Legend wrote:
As always, one of the CG models should be the aim (in this case, it's the one I posted above). It's time to go above and beyond even the DC models. Shenmue III is the chance to get them!

Okay, we're all pretty clear about how you feel about this so there's no need to keep repeating it.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:44 pm

Centrale wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote:

Okay, we're all pretty clear about how you feel about this so there's no need to keep repeating it.

I know but ever since the Ryo character model poll where Dreamcast Ryo got the most votes, I have to make sure to tell everyone that it's not the best path to take since there are people here that want them in Shenmue III instead of the promo models. So, yeah I must spread the message. Now I only have to hope that Yu Suzuki is also aiming for them.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby shmoozip » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:06 pm

There is no immersion if it is a puzzle fighter. I really regret buying this game last 2 weeks. No fighting in shenmue is not shenmue at all. And qte or puzzle does not count for me
shmoozip
Banned
Banned

Postby Rikitatsu » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:20 pm

Suzuki Yu wrote:

2003:

2015:

2017:

2018:

I like it. But the main reason why I want her to resemble her S2 self is because that's the model that we are familiar with from all the hours we spent with S2. To me, that's Shenhua. Not the renders, or the passport models, but the in-game one.

Same goes for Ryo.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Next

Return to Shenmue III