Magic Monaco 2018 details and new Shenmue III screenshots

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Magic Monaco 2018 details and new Shenmue III screenshot

Postby The_Intruder » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:51 pm

Where can I watch the extended Shenmue III teaser?
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Valascaziel » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:51 pm

What is the inherent fear in showing anything more current to the backers and press? That they'll get nitpicked or criticised? It's all for the best to show it and allow fans to input.

As it stands, theyy are going to get lambasted if these four screens and old video are all they post in the(assumed) Kickstarter update coming in the next few days, by both backers and the press... and rightfully so at this point. We've seen a smattering of screens and one teaser at a couple of events in almost 3 years. No current gameplay, no current gameplay details. Nothing current in motion.

And this goes back to me saying several months ago that the questioning by the media would come.

They slapped a disclaimer on footage we already saw and had it confirmed, back then, it was WIP 6 months ago...I don't get it.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby WildManofBorneo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:59 pm

Valascaziel wrote: There's a time to be optimistic and there is a time to face reality.

I've calmed down a bit and realize asking for a donation back isn't very logical, but please understand why I and many others probably feel this way. Hell, I was so passionate about it that I donated plasma for the money to cover the substantial pledge and not delve into family funds. So you could say, in essence, that I paid in blood for this game to become a reality.

We invested out of our love for a series that died long before it should have and our return investment has been almost nil for going on 3 years.

There is absolutely no way this game makes 2018 and the fact they've been hyping it up as "The Year of Shennue"? and Cedric "playing the latest build"? What the Hell is he playing because I wouldn't be smiling if it's just like that Gamescom footage 3.5 years in the making and thaf build was BEFORE Deep Silver opened their wallet.

It's time for them to come clean. Is funding not enough for their realization? Do they need more time? Did the scale get out of hand? TALK TO US. No one got mad at Yu's heartfelt delay message last year. Talk again..thats all we want.

Let's assume that Shenmue had 1-2 months of pre development prior to the Kickstarter (basic concepts, storyboards, early game art) in July of 2015. Following the successful funding in mid August, Suzuki and team then visited China for a month to document and photograph the game's location settings.

Sept 2015, Suzuki is back in Japan and tasked with setting up the development team and engaged in the hiring process. This would have taken an additional 2-3 months to be fully staffed while basic game components were being solidified. So let us assume that the game did not enter full development until Dec 2015. From there we can estimate an 'incubation period' of 38-42 months based on analogous game development times.

Dec 2015 + (38 to 42 months) = February to April 2019 release date.
WildManofBorneo
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Birty » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:05 pm

https://twitter.com/shenmue_3/status/967458650540466176

The original and best logo is being used in this part of the conference, I personally hate how inconsistent this whole experience is! ](*,)
Birty
Old School
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: TWH Birty2k
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Sailor-San » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:05 pm

The Shenmue Forever Twitter Account will upload an hi-res version of the extended gc2017 trailer .... sigh ... please for the love of god, dont do that...
Sailor-San
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Shenmue I+II

Postby Valascaziel » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:08 pm

WildManofBorneo wrote:
Valascaziel wrote: There's a time to be optimistic and there is a time to face reality.

I've calmed down a bit and realize asking for a donation back isn't very logical, but please understand why I and many others probably feel this way. Hell, I was so passionate about it that I donated plasma for the money to cover the substantial pledge and not delve into family funds. So you could say, in essence, that I paid in blood for this game to become a reality.

We invested out of our love for a series that died long before it should have and our return investment has been almost nil for going on 3 years.

There is absolutely no way this game makes 2018 and the fact they've been hyping it up as "The Year of Shennue"? and Cedric "playing the latest build"? What the Hell is he playing because I wouldn't be smiling if it's just like that Gamescom footage 3.5 years in the making and thaf build was BEFORE Deep Silver opened their wallet.

It's time for them to come clean. Is funding not enough for their realization? Do they need more time? Did the scale get out of hand? TALK TO US. No one got mad at Yu's heartfelt delay message last year. Talk again..thats all we want.

Let's assume that Shenmue had 1-2 months of pre development prior to the Kickstarter (basic concepts, storyboards, early game art) in July of 2015. Following the successful funding in mid August, Suzuki and team then visited China for a month to document and photograph the game's location settings.

Sept 2015, Suzuki is back in Japan and tasked with setting up the development team and engaged in the hiring process. This would have taken an additional 2-3 months to be fully staffed while basic game components were being solidified. So let us assume that the game did not enter full development until Dec 2015. From there we can estimate an 'incubation period' of 38-42 months based on analogous game development times.

Dec 2015 + (38 to 42 months) = February to April 2019 release date.

A fair assessment. This still doesn't address the detachment of what is currently being shown or detailed in updates, events, etc.

I'm okay with a delay into 2019, but I think it is time to address the situation with a look into the true state of the project. It is still in the first half of the year, but it needs to be addressed soon. Some people are saying 2020 for this game and while I think that's a bit far, I would say late Summer or Fall 2019 based on all we have seen.

You have newer screenshots showcasing far more detailed character models. Assuming they are not doctored, it would be logical to assume they've at least been incorporated into a current build. Why isn't something showcased in motion? We can all agree that the models are drastically improved, so why can't we see it in motion?

Christ, just show Ryo walking down a village street or 15 seconds of him in a conversation with a major character or NPC. Something so we can see the new model, facial animations, anything to judge what needs to improve.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:09 pm

Birty wrote: https://twitter.com/shenmue_3/status/967458650540466176

The original and best logo is being used in this part of the conference, I personally hate how inconsistent this whole experience is! ](*,)

Aaaaaaaaaaaa Yu really wants to play on our nerves :lol:

Btw I found Yu quite tired today. He never should have quit Japan, I think.
Last edited by Yokosuka on Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Reprise » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:10 pm

Valascaziel wrote:Christ, just show Ryo walking down a village street or 15 seconds of him in a conversation with a major character or NPC. Something so we can see the new model, facial animations, anything to judge what needs to improve.

Exactly!
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby gillian_seed » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:11 pm

Let's hope YS changed his mind about the logo. It's the only good news we could get today.

Edit: No, he didn't. Today screenshots still use the new stupid logo. The reason why that classic logo is used in that presentation is because it wasn't YS who made it. Probably was designed by someone at Shibuya for Magic.
Last edited by gillian_seed on Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gillian_seed has received a thanks from: Sailor-San
gillian_seed
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami

Postby Master Mo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:13 pm

Honestly when you produce a game that didn`t meet the initial launch window, rightfully so if the game need more time in the cooker, it is never a good idea to not show any substantial progress after that delay announcement. They failed to do that imo.

I also think that when you let your audience fund the game there should be an obligation to keep people up to date. They failed to do that as well looking at the comments in the forum, livestreams and youtube.
Master Mo

Postby Birty » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:14 pm

gillian_seed wrote:

Let's hope YS changed his mind about the logo. It's the only good news we could get today.

What irritates me is that the new logo was being used merely hours earlier in the other conference, there’s no consistency or just general professionalism about it all.

Birty has received a thanks from: gillian_seed
Birty
Old School
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: TWH Birty2k

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:26 pm

Reprise wrote:
TwiceFriedRice wrote: Oh, really? Everyone’s? Like the ones saying that the game is going to suck or won’t be released until 2020?

Who said it would suck? I didn't see anyone say that. But let's be honest, whoever said the game won't be ready until 2020 could be right. It's not that over the top of an assumption...

I mean, I'm personally betting on 2019. I just would like some better PR, more transparency and for the team to share more with backers.

In fact, a delay is the most optimistic scenario here. The real risk is Shenmue 3 reaching the target date in an unfinished state - a bit like Kingdom Come Delivrance but with fewer content. By far the worst scenario and unfortunately the likely one IF production does go wrong/not enough fast behind the doors..
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Valascaziel » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:48 pm

I'm really hoping that THQ Nordic and Deep Silver step in after this. I don't know if DS signed off on this, but it is a huge PR nightmare to hype an event for old videos and 4 screens.

Cedric Biscay needs to stop trolling fans and I hope he gets every bit of criticism for it this time.

It's apparent that communication and marketing are not working out. I hope the aforementioned publishers take over marketing and updates after this. Hell, even Sony should step in at this point...one of their hallmark titles of E3 2015 is becoming a laughing stock of "never coming out" in a sense. I know its not, but it is the closest term I could think of.

Valascaziel has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby amj1190 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:04 pm

amj1190

Postby Reprise » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:04 pm

Valascaziel wrote:Hell, even Sony should step in at this point...one of their hallmark titles of E3 2015 is becoming a laughing stock of "never coming out" in a sense. I know its not, but it is the closest term I could think of.

I doubt Sony cares or even has any involvement. I know people keep on going back to the comments from a Sony rep saying 'we're backing Shenmue" and 'we're supporting Yu', but I'm pretty sure they meant more in a figurative sense, than them actually being a partner. There was controversy at the time after they said that and I know both parties tried to clarify, saying Sony would help them with just some marketing, but I bet that's not even really much of a deal. It's probably just small stuff like publishing trailers on their Youtube channel and doing a bit of promotion on social media when the game nears its release. I don't think it's a substantial deal.

But basically, Sony already got what they wanted out of "supporting" Shenmue 3. They wanted the hype and attention of having Shenmue 3 announced on their stage, and they wanted to win E3 2015. They wanted a short term win, with the initial hype leading to more people buying PS4s. It was a good PR move on their part. They're not concerned with the end product of Shenmue 3 and I doubt they even care if the game never comes out or if it sucks. Just the mention of Shenmue 3 and PS4 in 2015 will have been enough to help boost PS4 sales.

Reprise has received a thanks from: Abraham_1
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III