Magic Monaco 2018 details and new Shenmue III screenshots

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Magic Monaco 2018 details and new Shenmue III screenshot

Postby ChiefNeo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:40 am

Shen hua definitely looks like a completely different person. She looks more western. The older model had the typical thin, dark Chinese hair and facial structure. The comparison a few posts up exposes this plainly. This new one looks like an anime character. It particularly stands out when you look at them side by side. Old Shen Hua looks exactly like my brothers Chinese girlfriend. Like, exactly. I guess it’s somethin I’ll have to get used to for 3.
ChiefNeo
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Mystere » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:25 am

Rikitatsu wrote:
ShenGCH wrote: I swear Ryo and Shenhua's models just keep getting better and better with each new appearance; they really appear to be coming into their own with this particular revision. Even though we're only able to see Shenhua from a side-on perspective, her face has been massively improved compared to her derpy Gamescom look.

Just look at the difference from August 2017 compared to now:

Those gorgeous environments, too =P~ =P~ =P~

I don't see the difference in the actual model tbh.
His eyes are squinting a bit due to him actually having facial expressions.

But the model itself? Looks the same. I agree with whomever said his proportions are a little off, and his facial features are a little feminine.

You don't see a difference? Poor Ryo. Got his eyebrows threaded and nobody noticed.

My first reaction to these designs is that Ryo looks like a male model, and Shenhua looks like an anime character. If that's what Yu's going for, it's fine, but they look like people cosplaying as Ryo and Shenhua to me.

Environments looking great as expected.
Mystere
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby celsowm » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:27 pm

I really love Ryo's model evolution!
In various aspects it's more realistic than Ryo Shenmue passport

Shenhua model is great too, maybe she needs just a little more "chinese" details on hers model.

Even the most awarded game had its protagonist evolution too:

celsowm has received 2 thanks from: ShenGCH, VukBZ2005
celsowm

PSN: celsowmbr
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby ShenGCH » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:32 pm

celsowm wrote: I really love Ryo's model evolution!
In various aspects it's more realistic than Ryo Shenmue passport

Shenhua model is great too, maybe she needs just a little more "chinese" details on hers model.

Even the most awarded game had its protagonist evolution too:

Is it just me or does 2007 Geralt look a lot like 2015 Lambert?
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Shenmue_Trilogy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:44 pm

Ryo looks more asian to me IMO. Finally! BUT he looks kinda to perfect. Maybe its the facial impression.
Overall much better as the old ryo...and its kinda funny that a few months ago the majority here tried to convince me that the ryo on the left is nearly the perfect model but now the majority is even more impressed with the new ryo ^^

Shenmue_Trilogy

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:24 pm

The best change IMO are the new shader/texture.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby colacube » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:05 pm

The top right corner of the port is interesting.

colacube has received 3 thanks from: Hazuki00, Kiske, Switch
colacube
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Tortu_genial » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:59 pm

celsowm, I agree.
For me it is not the end of the world if the new models are not exactly like the old ones, as long as they are good and they respect Yu Susuki's vision :)
Tortu_genial

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby ShenmueTree » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:56 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:
ShenGCH wrote: I swear Ryo and Shenhua's models just keep getting better and better with each new appearance; they really appear to be coming into their own with this particular revision. Even though we're only able to see Shenhua from a side-on perspective, her face has been massively improved compared to her derpy Gamescom look.

But the model itself? Looks the same. I agree with whomever said his proportions are a little off, and his facial features are a little feminine.

Seems Yu's main aim is to make Ryo "handsome" and Shenhua "cute", as opposed to making them closely resemble their original models.

If you don't see the difference between the models, then you're bloody blind, mate, and I'd suggest you get new eyes because I don't think glasses are gonna help.

The model is different to the shape of the nose, which is more round and more soft at the base of the nostrils, to the shape of the eyes (and no it's not because he's squinting. Those are more realistic eyes), to the colour of his skin tone, to his lips which are wider and softer, to his eyebrows which are also wider and softer, to his bottom eyelashes, to his much sharper chin, which he actually has one now, the hair is different too, it's similar to the old version but not exactly the same, as there are more parting above the forehead, his cheeks are flatter rather than rounded, and the band-aid is completely different.

As far as I can tell, everything below the head is the same but I didn't really spend much time looking and comparing that though.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Switch » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:13 pm

Blog post with some analysis of the new images at Phantom River Stone:
http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2018/0 ... shots.html

Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby adom11800 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:19 pm

I think Ryo looks good here but am I the only one who thinks he looked better with his Gamescom 2017 model?
adom11800

Postby ShenGCH » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:40 am

adom11800 wrote: I think Ryo looks good here but am I the only one who thinks he looked better with his Gamescom 2017 model?

The Gamescom model recreates Ryo's characteristic scowl pretty damn well, but it looks like something out of ReBoot, whereas the Magic Monaco model is much higher detail. I prefer the latter.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby gillian_seed » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:58 am

adom11800 wrote: I think Ryo looks good here but am I the only one who thinks he looked better with his Gamescom 2017 model?

Yes, you are. Altough new Ryo is different from the one we are used to (more anime-like I guess), THAT Gamescom model felt like if it was an imposter:

Probably Lakshya Digital has taken part on the redesing, because the team in Japan looked to be completely uncapable of modelling a good Ryo and Shenhua.

gillian_seed has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
gillian_seed
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami

Postby spud1897 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:18 am

I am really pleased with the models. Ryo is looking great, yes different from the DC days but he looks his age and the minor revisements have worked wonders for him.

Shenhua is looking good, I am not a fan on her clothing but that is a personal preference. Her face is looking much better. Sizings all round need tweaking but we are almost there.

The progress each release has been superb, maybe the Gamescon trailer was a mistake but I think there was pressure to produce something given we'd not seen anything for ages.

Roll on Monaco, I'd love to go but I will have to hope Yu and the team do Gamescon again or come to do EGX in the UK.

I reckon E3 we get a massive reveal of something near the final product.
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2

Postby Rikitatsu » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:24 am

ShenmueTree wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:

Seems Yu's main aim is to make Ryo "handsome" and Shenhua "cute", as opposed to making them closely resemble their original models.

If you don't see the difference between the models, then you're bloody blind, mate, and I'd suggest you get new eyes because I don't think glasses are gonna help.

The model is different to the shape of the nose, which is more round and more soft at the base of the nostrils, to the shape of the eyes (and no it's not because he's squinting. Those are more realistic eyes), to the colour of his skin tone, to his lips which are wider and softer, to his eyebrows which are also wider and softer, to his bottom eyelashes, to his much sharper chin, which he actually has one now, the hair is different too, it's similar to the old version but not exactly the same, as there are more parting above the forehead, his cheeks are flatter rather than rounded, and the band-aid is completely different.

As far as I can tell, everything below the head is the same but I didn't really spend much time looking and comparing that though.

Naw mate, you're letting the different perspective and facial expression fool you.

Skin tone color has nothing to do with the actual model mesh by the way, either they used a different shader or it's just a flattering screenshot with the right lighting. I'm betting on the former.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III