UPDATE #80 MAGIC 2018: New Pics Up!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: UPDATE #80 MAGIC 2018: New Pics Up!

Postby Suzuki Yu » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:15 am

Kiske wrote:
Suzuki Yu wrote:i highly highly doubt lakshiya digtital has nothing to do with those.
likely all important characters will be handled by the internal team/freelancers in Japan.
lakshyia digital was hired because there are so many characters they need to work on so they need to assign some of the job to them so that the main team can focus on what's important also it's cheaper and more efficient this way. no offence to the team but this is how usually these kind of contracts works for other projects within the industry and this the reason why such teams exist in the first place... they fit the bill for the kind of tasks they are hired for.

meaning if you have to classify the characters from high importance to > low importance
A > B > C > D

A&B characters will be dealt with in utmost care internally and with expert freelancers.
C&D characters will be dealt with using Lakshiya Digital resources. (and maybe other unannounced parties)

something like this.

How do you know Lakshya Digital has nothing to do with those?

The Temple Maid has been revealed with the Kickstarter update #77, the one that made public the deal with Lakshya Digital studios. It's fair to assume that they have something to do with that model.

I can't tell for sure about the old man and the little girl of course, but there's some level of detail and polishing in those 3 models that I didn't notice before the deal.

By the way, I'm not saying that Lakshya builds those models from scratch. As far as I know (we know) every model comes from Yu Suzuki's mind and every model has to be approved by him. The design and art direction of the models are and will always be YsNet job. They have regular meetings (video conference I guess) with Lakshya to review progress and give directions. By the way, Lakshya isn't a rock bottom studio. They have experience and talented people. It would be wrong to consider them nothing more than a second class studio.

the 3D base model of the lady exist way before the announcement of Lackshya's partnership with a bunch of other models

of course this is not the reason why i am suspecting lakshya's involvement for the modeling of any of the important characters.

the reason is just as i said above those studios prime business is to provide cheap services for other companies/studios.
usually you wont find the best artists working with a cheap service provider but in a big companies or carrying on their own ambition as independent developer seeking for fund or support or if they are good enough they can work as freelancers.. the last thing they would think about is joining a service provider company.
again no offence but trying to make sense of this from a business standpoint.

i am not saying those artists working with lakshya has no talents whats so ever of course they do have some certain degree of that.. but again just serviceable for the kind of tasks they are hired for. (usually the least important tasks)
Suzuki Yu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Kiske » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:32 am

As long as the collaboration with Lakshya brings higher quality for the NPC's character models (even the secondary one) I'm fine with it.

Let's not forget that there are going to be more than 250 NPC's in Shenmue 3 according to Yu Suzuki.
That's a lot of work for a team relatively small, as YsNet probably is.

I'm not sure where this discussion is headed but before we put an end to it, I would like to understand this comment:

I am not saying those artists working with lakshya has no talents whats so ever of course they do have some certain degree of that.. but again just serviceable for the kind of tasks they are hired for. (usually the least important tasks)

Where are the artists working at Lakshya in India supposed to work, if lets say, they are full of talent?
I don't understand exactly what's your point about that kind of Studio doing the least important tasks. Manpower in India is cheaper compared to Europe, Japan or America. That doesn't mean they don't have important ressources.

Just Cause 3 is out! Lakshya is proud to have had the opportunity to work on one of the biggest games of this year. We congratulate Avalanche Studios, the Developers of the game. And three cheers for the Lakshya Pune team which did all the NPC art for this game!

Source: Lakshya Facebook page.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Rikitatsu » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:35 am

Those NPC models share similar characteristics with what we've seen of YsNET model-work before the Lakshya announcement... Mainly the weird lips.

Therefore I'll have to agree with Suzuki Yu that Lakshya won't be responsible for ALL the NPC's models... Likely the low priority ones that have little to do with the story. It's usually what these outsourcing studios are known for.

Rikitatsu has received a thanks from: Suzuki Yu
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Suzuki Yu » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:37 am

Kiske wrote: As long as the collaboration with Lakshya brings higher quality for the NPC's character models (even the secondary one) I'm fine with it.

Let's not forget that there are going to be more than 250 NPC's in Shenmue 3 according to Yu Suzuki.
That's a lot of work for a team relatively small, as YsNet probably is.

I'm not sure where this discussion is headed but before we put an end to it, I would like to understand this comment:

I am not saying those artists working with lakshya has no talents whats so ever of course they do have some certain degree of that.. but again just serviceable for the kind of tasks they are hired for. (usually the least important tasks)

Where are the artists working at Lakshya in India supposed to work, if lets say, they are full of talent?
I don't understand exactly what's your point about that kind of Studio doing the least important tasks. Manpower in India is cheaper compared to Europe, Japan or America. That doesn't mean they don't have important ressources.

Just Cause 3 is out! Lakshya is proud to have had the opportunity to work on one of the biggest games of this year. We congratulate Avalanche Studios, the Developers of the game. And three cheers for the Lakshya Pune team which did all the NPC art for this game!

Source: Lakshya Facebook page.

I know.
Actually there are far more NPCs than just 250.
Choubu alone confirmed to have at least 200 NPCs.
So they will have to outsource some of the work to a cheap studio but full of manpower needed for that extra work.
While the main team with their main designers focuses on the main charcters/support characters because It's the main work and need more attention internally.

Now about this quotation coming from Lakshya's Facebook page.
I don't know what to say but this is quite misleading statement!

Just have a look at the credits

https://youtu.be/hkKQj8YmUKg

They played a very tiny role in the art field.
See how many individuals worked on the main team's art division.... quite a big number!
in addition there are other outsorced studios working on art so Lakshya is not the only outsourced art studio working in the game either.

Lookup for any other project they were credited for and you will notice the same thing.
Suzuki Yu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Rikitatsu » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:57 am

Suzuki Yu wrote:

Now about this quotation coming from Lakshya's Facebook page.
I don't know what to say but this is quite misleading statement!

Just have a look at the credits

https://youtu.be/hkKQj8YmUKg

They played a very tiny role in the art field.
See how many individuals worked on the main team's art division.... quite a big number!
in addition there are other outsorced studios working on art so Lakshya is not the only outsourced art studio working in the game either.

Lookup for any other project they were credited for and you will notice the same thing.

Yeah, I think a lot of people get carried away when they read stuff like "we worked on Bloodborne/Uncharted/MGS!" and assume they were mainly responsible for how good those games looked. But when you check the credit, not only you will find their contribution to be minor, but it's usually in stuff like environmental props (chairs, barrels, etc...).

I think people should not be quick to discredit YsNet over those improvements in the 3D models.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kiske » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:21 pm

I'm definitely not trying to discredit YsNet artistic capacities, guys.
I have total faith in YsNet. I'm only trying to underline a significant improvement (in my opinion) of the overall characters look and artistic direction.
The old man lips don't bother me to be honest. I genuinely thought there was a Lakshya touch because of the way they presented the deal with the studio during the Kickstarter update #77.

@SuzukiYu I don't know what to say about the work they've actually really done on Just Cause 3 NPCs.

I'm not sure every big studio is willing to be fully transparent about exactly who does what, but that's not the point of the discussion and that was not the goal of my earlier post.
I love how the new characters are looking, don't you? :D
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby mjq jazz bar » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:39 pm

Ys Net is outsourcing the work, but probably created the character designs.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:34 am

Kiske wrote: What do you guys think about the new characters introduced since the deal with Lakshya Digital?

Personally, I love them! I would never have dreamed of such beautiful characters to be honest.

Thanks for the transparent renders.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Kiske
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby elmatto » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:27 am

Everything looks pretty good.

Ryo's facial proportions still look odd to me.

My favorite artistic interpretation of him recently was in that crossover game. Thought it hit the right notes.
But again, shits still in development so I shall wait.
elmatto
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Previous

Return to Shenmue III