Comparison Ryo with and without facial animations/new model

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Comparison Ryo with and without facial animations/new model

Postby ShenmueTree » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:28 am

In the extended trailer, we can see a clip from the same scene as the preview image we were given earlier this year.
Though it's not direct feed and is extra blurry, it's still noticeable that in the extended trailer that facial animation had not yet been incorporated.

On the top is a scene with Ryo and Shenmue bypassing the Shenmue Tree, the swing in the background.
In this image, it shows Ryo's old model, with his face being really stoic and his body proportions a bit stiff, as if he were a toy.

As you can see, in the bottom image, is the same scene where it shows Ryo with a new facial model, his face features a subtle smirk, his eyebrows raised and his eyes squinting naturally. Also, his anatomy naturally placed and doesn't look like it's arranged as if he were a plastic action figure.

Bonus: Short gif

As you can see the new face looks incredibly improved.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: Comparison Ryo with and without facial animations/new mo

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:07 am

So they're still using the Gamescom trailer as snapshot source. Watching the extended trailer allowed us to figure out that a lot of screenshots came from there. So E3 2018 = definitive trailer edition?

When you're looking at the new screenshot with Ryo and the old martial artist, you may think it came from another footage as well:

sorry for the off topic
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby shredingskin » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:11 am

Yokosuka wrote:Image

"why I'm beating this old man when the only certain thing in life is suffering ?".
"Is anything even worth it ? I should have banged joy only to feel what is like to feel alive".
"Does Nozomi think about me like I think about her everytime before I go to sleep, the pain is too much to bear".

shredingskin has received 2 thanks from: BlueCreeperBoy12, Yokosuka
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby ShenmueTree » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:19 am

What's funny about the new pics is while Ryo has the new facial model, he retains the old facial expression from the old model. lol

It's kind of ridiculous that YSnet finds PR so hard. All they had to do was show the same exact gamescom trailer with the new model and with facial animations and most people would have been happy.

Instead they showed the old trailer with the same plastic facial expressions and old models. Like how hard could it be to just do that?
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenmueTree » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:14 pm

Also in the new picture Shenhua doesn't have a bow in her hair, the bow around her waist is slightly different and more detailed, her hair is braided, the cuff of her shirt is shorter, and the shirt doesn't have a red border around it apart from the cuffs and neck lines.
As for Ryo, his entire face has been remodeled, and his neck and shoulders have been as well. It also looks like hand animations have been added.

Man, I'd love to to see the gamescom trailer with all these modifications added.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shredingskin » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:07 am

That reminds me I also don't like the new Shenhua's dress
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Valascaziel » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:15 am

This is a good comparison and honestly makes me more wary about the project as a whole.

Why were we shown something that was only slightly enhanced from what large tier backers saw over 14 months ago? I liked the *vibe* It gave, but it looked so rough.

Is the aforementioned picture of Ryo with the enhanced facial features a "bullshot" as people have feared since it's appearance? We REALLY need an up-to-date teaser of something.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:17 pm

TBH I would have been happy/er with the 2016 style

shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby gillian_seed » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:41 pm

ShenmueTree wrote: In the extended trailer, we can see a clip from the same scene as the preview image we were given earlier this year.
Though it's not direct feed and is extra blurry, it's still noticeable that in the extended trailer that facial animation had not yet been incorporated.

On the top is a scene with Ryo and Shenmue bypassing the Shenmue Tree, the swing in the background.
In this image, it shows Ryo's old model, with his face being really stoic and his body proportions a bit stiff, as if he were a toy.

As you can see, in the bottom image, is the same scene where it shows Ryo with a new facial model, his face features a subtle smirk, his eyebrows raised and his eyes squinting naturally. Also, his anatomy naturally placed and doesn't look like it's arranged as if he were a plastic action figure.

Bonus: Short gif

As you can see the new face looks incredibly improved.

Shenhua's dress has been improved A LOT. I'd like to see that very same trailer with new models and improved animations.

gillian_seed has received a thanks from: ShenmueTree
gillian_seed
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami

Postby celsowm » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:51 am

shredingskin wrote: TBH I would have been happy/er with the 2016 style

2018 Ryo is the best Ryo

celsowm has received a thanks from: ShenmueTree
celsowm
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: celsowmbr

Postby Rikitatsu » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:21 am

celsowm wrote:
shredingskin wrote: TBH I would have been happy/er with the 2016 style

2018 Ryo is the best Ryo

If I'm being honest, he still doesn't look like the Ryo I know (In-Game Ryo).
But he is close enough that I can turn a blind eye to it.

Still hope they continue to iterate on his model, but if not, I'll take it.

EDIT:
I think one way they could improve him is make his face a bit longer and less wide... Case in point:

Before Photoshop:

After Photoshop:
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby punkmanced » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:26 pm

Ryo is looking better and better; closer and closer to how he should, IMO.
I'm digging those Magic pics; definitely on the right track.

^ Anyone remember this abomination?
These beauties set off a well justified shitstorm around here.
...Still can't believe they were reveal pics :rotflmao:
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby johnvivant » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:48 pm

i don't know anything about game development, but maybe its possible that things like character models and animations are basically just placeholders for the majority of the game's development cycle and only finalized in the last 6 months before release. there is no point working really hard producing high quality animations for scenes/events that may not even make it into the final version of the game, they would just be wasting time and money. rather its better have a rubbish placeholder animation -that just gives the idea of an action - and add the high quality version in later when one is more sure of the final outline of the game. maybe this is suzuki's usual method of working, but unfortunately it doesn't lend itself well to a kickstarter game where fans clamour for early footage.

someone from warhorse studios (kingdom come) said the following in response to someone's concerns over facial animations:

Facial animations and body language are in the process of improvement.
These kind of things are ordinarily added by the end of development, which is where we are now.

So no worries

seeing that they are now improving the character models quite dramatically, could be a indication that they are much further along in development that we think. creating 150 + unique NPCS is no light task. peter even said he saw a videos with placeholder NPCs from S1 +S2 walking around choubu, so many of complex systems like AI pathing might already be done and maybe they are at the stage of consolidation and polishing i.e. last 6-8 months. its certainly possible.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Shenmue_Trilogy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:13 pm

punkmanced wrote:
^ Anyone remember this abomination?
These beauties set off a well justified shitstorm around here.
...Still can't believe they were reveal pics :rotflmao:

Shitstorm? There were several users here tried to convince me and others that the first ryo looks near perfect:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50983#p1156361
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50983&start=165#p1156603
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50983&start=270#p1156799

:roll:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50983&start=270#p1156770
Shenmue_Trilogy

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:45 pm

I was at Monaco, pretty sure I caught Biscay saying to wait for further game events this year such as Gamescom, E3 and others to see the game again. Anybody else that was there please feel free to correct me on that.

Everything in that trailer is old hat, so the "issues" with character models (placeholder), QTEs (placeholders), QTE Fight animations being off (placeholder) and other such stuff is no concern for me. It was just great immersing myself in that Shenmue atmosphere with that music and the look/aesthetic of Shenmue 3. Those screenshots capture the Dreamcast aesthetic very well for me. That's what I wanted exactly. It's made me excited.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Niowiad
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Next

Return to Shenmue III