Is Niao Sun still planned to be the villain in Shenmue III?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Is Niao Sun still planned to be the villain in Shenmue III?

Postby UltimateBeing01 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:39 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2eJT9GfVZk

We don't know much about this character. There is very few old concept art illustrations of her, which I will include in this thread. Now, I've been looking at the Shenmue III trailers and there is no hint of the story or any of the characters. We see some big muscular guy, who I think may be one of the antagonists, but why? What purpose does this character serve? He's not the replacement for Niao Sun as the villain is he?

She was originally planned to be one of the Chi You Men. Most likely we would have encountered her in the original Shenmue 3. Yet, no information on her yet. Just curious.

Also, will we be seeing Zimming? Remember he was Xiuying's brother who ran off to fight the Chi You Men, but joined them for some reason. He made an appearance in a tie in comic. But we don't know much about him as well.

My greatest fear of Shenmue III is all of these story elements being forgotten, rushed or brushed aside. I really wanted to find out more about Niao Sun and Ziming. As well as the Chi You Men. We know nothing about this group, other than they are some criminal cartel. That's really it. This was the reason why I, personally, was so infatuated with seeing Shenmue concluded, but......

With the Shenmue 3 trailers we've gotten.....
I just don't know. Hopefully Yu goes with his original intentions and doesn't alter any story elements. Game elements, sure. But don't change the story!
UltimateBeing01
Asia Travel Representative

Steam: TheUltimateBeing01
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue

Re: Is Niao Sun still planned to be the villain in Shenmue I

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:44 am

Yu did confirm in 2015 that Ryo will confront 4 bosses including Lan Di and Niao Sun.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby spud1897 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:45 am

He's not condensed it much from what I gather in interviews. He's wanting to make Shenmue 4 after 3 is done and dusted to conclude the series.

I think the story telling will be up to scratch.
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2

Postby UltimateBeing01 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:46 am

All in the same game? How in the world will that work? He's not even capable of fighting Xiuying last we saw him.
UltimateBeing01

Postby KidMarine » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:46 am

You can see Niao Sun hidden in the background of the teaser from last year, she's definitely in it. I think the big muscular guy is one of her underlings.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Jibby » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:46 am

I think it's very likely that we'll see her. Her character model was also in the background of the teaser if I remember correctly, so I wouldn't worry.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby UltimateBeing01 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:49 am

Jibby wrote:I think it's very likely that we'll see her. Her character model was also in the background of the teaser if I remember correctly, so I wouldn't worry.
KidMarine wrote:You can see Niao Sun hidden in the background of the teaser from last year, she's definitely in it. I think the big muscular guy is one of her underlings.

Perhaps. But that could have just been an easter egg.

I just get the strange feeling she won't be in this game. I don't know why.

Another thing that leads me to believe elements are being eliminated: Yu keeps talking about 11 chapters. Originally this series was supposed to have 16 chapters. Shenmue I's player's guide from way back when said this. Plus there's this

Last edited by UltimateBeing01 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
UltimateBeing01

Postby KidMarine » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:03 am

UltimateBeing01 wrote:
Jibby wrote:I think it's very likely that we'll see her. Her character model was also in the background of the teaser if I remember correctly, so I wouldn't worry.
KidMarine wrote:You can see Niao Sun hidden in the background of the teaser from last year, she's definitely in it. I think the big muscular guy is one of her underlings.

They're not going to model a character model just for an easter egg.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby UltimateBeing01 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:05 am

KidMarine wrote:
UltimateBeing01 wrote:

They're not going to model a character model just for an easter egg.

Maybe. We'll just have to wait for more story information I guess. Don't get me wrong. We have some information, but it's not very detailed. I was hoping someone may have had more information to share. I'm just super curious.
UltimateBeing01

Postby adom11800 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:22 am

What Shenmue 3 trailers? :P
But to what you say Niao Sun will be in the game as one of the villains. I don't think Yu has changed or altered the story I think, he can just make it more open world now because of Deep Silver.
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:24 am

UltimateBeing01 wrote: All in the same game? How in the world will that work? He's not even capable of fighting Xiuying last we saw him.

Yes they will.

18-years-old Ryo beat 70 mad angels almost by himself btw. He's the Jesus Christ of martial arts who inherit Captain Tsubasa's DNA. Then motivation is not the same between confronting a woman/highly respected old martial artist in a friendly battle and someone who killed your father or want you to die.
Last edited by Yokosuka on Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Sonoshee » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:26 am

Niao Sun was always going to be in Shenmue 3.
She was even advertised as a Shenmue 3 character on the Kickstarter and she appeared in a very brief cameo in the Shenmue teaser.
I'm actually looking forward to finally seeing her finished character model.
You don't have anything to worry about.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Jibby » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:42 am

Honestly, I don't think it's worth paying this whole 'chapter' structure much attention anymore. It's a defunct concept that isn't really relevant now given Shenmue's current circumstances.

Niao Sun will definitely be in the game, if not the main villain of Shenmue III.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:44 am

Besides the visual evidence of Niao Sun from the Gamescom progress teaser, there's more stuff that's been uncovered over time thanks to notes left on whiteboards around the dev room.

Without getting potentially spoilery, you don't have to worry about the Chi You Men or its leaders being dropped from the story.

Yu likes to chop and change the original VFRPG story to suit each Shenmue instalment, but we know Niao Sun is quite a prominent character once introduced - and that she's there from chapter 5 onwards; which Shenmue III will cover, along with chapter 6.

Normally I'd just advocate for a wait and see approach, but in this case we've already been shown she's in the game. So you can just kick back and relax on this issue.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:59 am

Just for the record.

I would be very curious to hear Yu Suzuki about those Easter eggs.
There on purpose or not?
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Next

Return to Shenmue III