Will Joy, Ren, Wong, Gui Zhang, and Yuanda Zhu come back?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Will Joy, Ren, Wong, Gui Zhang, and Yuanda Zhu come back?

Postby vnisanian2001 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:44 pm

Topic
vnisanian2001
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Re: Will Joy, Ren, Wong, Gui Zhang, and Yuanda Zhu come back

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:53 pm

Ren is confirmed to return.

Further info and some gameplay/story spoilers. Read at your own risk:

He will also be playable during a certain part of the game with the Character Perspective System. A blurry image of his in-progress character model was also spotted in one of the articles/interviews published during Gamescom last year.

The rest are up in the air, but I doubt they'll appear as part of the story. Maybe as characters you can call up on the phone.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby KidMarine » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:05 pm

I don't think we'll see Wong or Joy again, their part in the story seems pretty much done. Ren will definitely return, Guizhang will almost certainly return at some point in the future, but not necessarily in 3. Zhu could go either way.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Centrale » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:47 pm

KidMarine wrote: I don't think we'll see Wong or Joy again, their part in the story seems pretty much done. Ren will definitely return, Guizhang will almost certainly return at some point in the future, but not necessarily in 3. Zhu could go either way.

I'm not so sure about Guizhang. The bones in his leg must have been pulverized. It was so bad they didn't even show it on-screen. I think the talk about him catching up was just mercifully avoiding stating the obvious, that his bones were powder and he'd likely never walk without assistance again.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:36 pm

That got dark quick.

Maybe Guizhang can show us how to do a back flip with crutches.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Centrale » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:25 pm

Sorry, I know it's grim. But wasn't it a steel I-beam that dropped on him? It just underscores how vicious and deadly Chai really is. So you know Ryo put every iota of his strength into the devastating elbow strike that sent Chai overboard in the "lost" chapter between Shenmue I and II. What Chai did to Guizhang was so ugly that it makes me glad that it seems likely we'll see Chai again, so he can be properly dealt with in gameplay.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby UltimateBeing01 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:28 am

vnisanian2001 wrote: Topic

According to what little I've read online, Ren is coming back. Zhu Yuanda, Wong, Gui Zhang may make cameos through phone calls. Joy is very likely to make a cameo or surprise appearance. She played a big role in 2, so I don't see them throwing her and Ren aside and forgetting them.
UltimateBeing01
Asia Travel Representative

Steam: TheUltimateBeing01
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby UltimateBeing01 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:29 am

Also, I've been watching One Piece. I've never been into the series up until a few weeks ago. And I can't help but think of Ren whenever I see Zoro. Like the similarities are hilarious. In design and characterization. Not fighting style or childhood of course.
UltimateBeing01

Steam: TheUltimateBeing01
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby DoubleO_Ren » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:05 pm

Centrale wrote: Sorry, I know it's grim. But wasn't it a steel I-beam that dropped on him? It just underscores how vicious and deadly Chai really is. So you know Ryo put every iota of his strength into the devastating elbow strike that sent Chai overboard in the "lost" chapter between Shenmue I and II. What Chai did to Guizhang was so ugly that it makes me glad that it seems likely we'll see Chai again, so he can be properly dealt with in gameplay.

Didn't he only kick it?
DoubleO_Ren
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby spud1897 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:12 am

My best bet would be that he at least tore (or did a Kevin Nash for anyone who watches wrestling) his quad to shreds moving it unless he has some sick leg day at the gym we don't know about.

With the force of the weight going through the leg I'd expect some form of fracture, maybe not in the Femur but certainly in the lower leg. Though this was not implied by the fact his leg seemed to be pointing the right way and he said it would heal. We may see him again. Ren for sure. Joy and Wong.... maybe but not convinced.

Zhu.... that man has more information than he is letting on. We will see him again.

spud1897 has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2

Postby Pollito Diablo » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:52 am

I would be so curious to see an extrovert girl like Joy interacting with a shy and serious girl like Shenhua! I'm sure there would be lot of funny moments.
Pollito Diablo

Postby Jibby » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:32 am

Pollito Diablo wrote: I would be so curious to see an extrovert girl like Joy interacting with a shy and serious girl like Shenhua! I'm sure there would be lot of funny moments.

We may see interactions between Ren and Shenhua which will also be really weird.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby GameHacKeR » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:19 pm

Yeah Jibby agreed that is actually going to be funny, I think Shenhua will try and set Ren straight, and you can just imagine the things he'll say especially when she goes blowing the seeds about the place again. :P
GameHacKeR

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:20 am

People doubt Yuanda Zhu's return? I'd say he's the one who's definitely returning.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby jm#1 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:34 pm

I would have thought that characters such as Joy and Wong would have returned. At least that's the impression I got when we saw them for the last time in Shenmue 2. What would be the point of investing so much time in these characters for them to just disappear forever.

**User banned for ban evasion**
jm#1
Banned
Banned

Next

Return to Shenmue III