MAGIC '18 - ShenmueMaster Yu Suzuki interview

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

MAGIC '18 - ShenmueMaster Yu Suzuki interview

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:37 pm

Saw this didn't have a dedicated topic so I thought I'd knock one up.

You can find the video here:

phpBB [video]


Yu is quite coy with his answers, but there are bits and pieces in there that intrigued me.

In particular, Yu mentioning how events may play out differently depending on your dialogue choices. Would have liked to have asked a follow-up if that kind of branching design applied to other stuff like success and failure at fights and QTEs; like Shenmue II.

Spaghetti has received 3 thanks from: Kiske, nskachu, Sonoshee
User avatar
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: November 2015

Re: MAGIC '18 - ShenmueMaster Yu Suzuki interview

Postby Jibby » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:50 pm

Well conducted interview by ShenmueMaster.
Whilst we got some fragments of info, I feel like Yu wants to keep certain gameplay mechanics under wraps for us to discover ourselves when we finally play the game.
Jibby!
Player of Shenmue
Check out Jibmue on Youtube!

Jibby has received a thanks from: rome
User avatar
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: February 2014
Location: Scotland
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: MAGIC '18 - ShenmueMaster Yu Suzuki interview

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:02 pm

It might not even be that. To some degree the mechanics will be elaborated on when the promotional push begins as well.

This interview is only one part of a grander puzzle anyway. Like, take the arcade question. In this interview Yu's answer was fairly blunt and uninformative, but didn't he say in another interview from MAGIC '18 he was working towards negotiating with SEGA to be able to include his older arcade games?
User avatar
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: November 2015

Re: MAGIC '18 - ShenmueMaster Yu Suzuki interview

Postby James Brown » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:08 pm

Is it wise to consider the answers where Yu replied like "We can't talk about that currently", or "sorry this is confidential"...as Yes's haha? I say that only because there are questions where he actually replied with no for, such as visiting Luoyang City :P
Image
User avatar
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"
 
Joined: March 2003
Location: England
XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: MAGIC '18 - ShenmueMaster Yu Suzuki interview

Postby adom11800 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:09 am

For anyone who doesn't want to have any spoilers please don't read this. Good but vague interview. Hopefully that's for a good reason though. So what we learned in this interview is:

- We won't ride a horse in Shenmue 3 but I still think Ren will make his appearance on a horse.
- Yu said 'not yet' to visiting Luoyang City. Shenmue 4 then by the sounds of it.
- Stars and legends (He shall appear from...) will be a part of the story flow in Shenmue III.
and so on...

I wonder why he couldn't answer the question about having arcade games in Shenmue 3? :-k
Yu Suzuki: 'No matter where I go I'm asked about the third version.'
User avatar
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades
 
Joined: March 2017

Re: MAGIC '18 - ShenmueMaster Yu Suzuki interview

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:44 am

adom11800 wrote:I wonder why he couldn't answer the question about having arcade games in Shenmue 3? :-k

It's the same answer he's given when asked about Hang-On or Space Harrier specifically, so he may be referring to them rather than stuff like Excite QTE/QTE Title (both of which we know exist in the game already).

I said earlier I remember Yu saying in an interview he's trying to licence his arcade titles for use in III... but I can't find the source so maybe I'm mistaken or dreamt it up, or whatever. All the same, if he wants to use those games he'll have to talk with SEGA about them. I hope they can work something out, it'd be fucking amazing if they could include Power Drift.
User avatar
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: November 2015

Re: MAGIC '18 - ShenmueMaster Yu Suzuki interview

Postby b_ren » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:34 pm

Yu Suzuki is the master of giving nothing away that's for sure. :lol:
Image

b_ren has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
User avatar
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: UK
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: MAGIC '18 - ShenmueMaster Yu Suzuki interview

Postby Switch » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:36 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
adom11800 wrote:I wonder why he couldn't answer the question about having arcade games in Shenmue 3? :-k

It's the same answer he's given when asked about Hang-On or Space Harrier specifically, so he may be referring to them rather than stuff like Excite QTE/QTE Title (both of which we know exist in the game already).

Yes, Yu's next words (not subtitled in this video) confirm this is the case, which are: "You're talking about Sega arcade games, right?"

Switch has received 2 thanks from: James Brown, Spaghetti
User avatar
Switch
News Poster
News Poster
 
Joined: January 2014
Location: Japan

Re: MAGIC '18 - ShenmueMaster Yu Suzuki interview

Postby spud1897 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:16 am

I thought the interview was quite good. Little snippets of information while not giving too much away.

In terms of the mechanics I reckon we will see them in more detail when a big reveal is done. We already know QTE's are back and the battle system will be (from my assumption) a real time system. Looking forward to it.
One day we will have our revenge.
User avatar
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster
 
Joined: February 2007
Location: Oxford, UK
PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2

Re: MAGIC '18 - ShenmueMaster Yu Suzuki interview

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:53 am

Switch wrote:Yes, Yu's next words (not subtitled in this video) confirm this is the case, which are: "You're talking about Sega arcade games, right?"

Ah, thanks!

spud1897 wrote: I thought the interview was quite good. Little snippets of information while not giving too much away.

In terms of the mechanics I reckon we will see them in more detail when a big reveal is done. We already know QTE's are back and the battle system will be (from my assumption) a real time system. Looking forward to it.

Not just your assumption. Yu reiterated a few times during other MAGIC interviews (500K, Gameblog) that the combat was a real time system - although somehow geared more towards advancing the narrative and telling a story.

What that could mean is anybody's guess, but it doesn't sound a million miles away from stuff that was included in Shenmue II; like mid-battle cutscenes, different outcomes if you were defeated, fights you can't win, mid-battle QTEs, pre-battle QTEs determining how many enemies you battle, etc.

That's why I don't really know why people automatically assume the worst when Yu says gearing the combat more towards furthering the narrative. Shenmue II did a lot that might be considered the same.
User avatar
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: November 2015

Re: MAGIC '18 - ShenmueMaster Yu Suzuki interview

Postby spud1897 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:11 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Switch wrote:Yes, Yu's next words (not subtitled in this video) confirm this is the case, which are: "You're talking about Sega arcade games, right?"

Ah, thanks!

spud1897 wrote: I thought the interview was quite good. Little snippets of information while not giving too much away.

In terms of the mechanics I reckon we will see them in more detail when a big reveal is done. We already know QTE's are back and the battle system will be (from my assumption) a real time system. Looking forward to it.

Not just your assumption. Yu reiterated a few times during other MAGIC interviews (500K, Gameblog) that the combat was a real time system - although somehow geared more towards advancing the narrative and telling a story.

What that could mean is anybody's guess, but it doesn't sound a million miles away from stuff that was included in Shenmue II; like mid-battle cutscenes, different outcomes if you were defeated, fights you can't win, mid-battle QTEs, pre-battle QTEs determining how many enemies you battle, etc.

That's why I don't really know why people automatically assume the worst when Yu says gearing the combat more towards furthering the narrative. Shenmue II did a lot that might be considered the same.



I quite liked the fact that Shenmue 2 allowed for slightly different scenarios to play out due to the results of the fights. It added replay value & watching BrutalMoose stream Shenmue 2 he commented the same and re-visited certain QTE's to see alternative outcomes.

Anything that moves the story on, has an effect on or enhances the story is good for me. I know some people are worried about the dynamics of the battle system in terms of how it will work. Watching streams of people playing Shenmue has opened my eyes a bit to how complex the system is in those games & some newer gamers would find this frustrating (however much I liked it).
One day we will have our revenge.
User avatar
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster
 
Joined: February 2007
Location: Oxford, UK
PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2


Return to Shenmue III

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000-
ShenmueDojo.net