Sega Festival 2018 - FES

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Sega Festival 2018 - FES

Postby adom11800 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:35 pm

This is very interesting but I'm not getting my hopes up.
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:08 pm

The tweet promised a "HUGE" announcement. How a remaster could be that important?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:11 pm

It's a very anticipated remaster. Like, a decade of campaigning style anticipated.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby James Brown » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:23 pm

Yeah I agree with Spag, it's highly unlikely to be anything Sonic related...I just got back from Japan, and apart from the the change machines to convert your notes into coins for the arcades, there was literally no sniff of sonic anywhere in any of the Sega branded arcades...

Even the 100+ UFO crane games didn't feature a single sonic plushie or anything...I actually found it to be extremely strange, being a sonic and sega fan expecting to be in a candy store of Sega goodness and it was all like Pokemon plushies...random cartoon guys and girls...and like Hatsune Miku lol...i've no idea what part of Sega the Japanese are into these days :D

So yeah, all the sonic announcements happened like a month ago now with the US and twitter team...that's all done and dusted...this announcement here...tomorrow...or in the next 6+ hours or so, it's definitely something else! All current signs point to Shenmue...but also be ready for the usual Sega troll lol!
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby punkmanced » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:11 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
ShenSun wrote: Interesting......

Im guessing it will be sonic racing with Ryo involved, but i don't mind that. I love that series. I'll be staying up, but im not expecting a HUGE announcement. Here's hoping we get Phantasy Star Online 2 or a sequel.

If Shenmue HD gets announced, I'll run through the street naked.

This is probably the one thing it won't be. At least, very unlikely based on the scuttlebutt about that next Sonic racing game. The game may show up but... I don't expect it. Japan aren't very nuts about Sonic and it's quite telling that the vast majority of big Sonic announcements are made at US events now. Plus the tease was only about a month ago, I think they'll hold on until maybe near E3 to say more about the next racing game.

Sure, but Japan isn’t exactly crazy about Shenmue either. Would a Japanese festival be the place to announce anything Shenmue related? Granted, the Shenmue guys have used MAGIC of all conferences, so honestly, who the hell knows at this point.

Regardless, I’m intrigued.
(...and secretly hoping for a Dreamcast 2)
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mjq jazz bar » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:13 pm

Yokosuka wrote: The tweet promised a "HUGE" announcement. How a remaster could be that important?

I'm really feeling negative about Shenmue 2 potentially being playable on the Xbox One X. That satisfies the claim you can't play Shenmue on a next gen console, and it also releases Sega from any duty of porting it to any other consoles. I don't see why they'd spend any money on a worthwhile port if that is the case.

So that leaves PS4 without Shenmue 2, the Xbox One X with Shenmue 2 and without Shenmue 3, and neither console with Shenmue 1. Seems like a massive cluster fuck to me. I dunno why people are getting so excited about potentially playing Shenmue 2 on the Xbox One. I guess beggars can't be choosers, but I'd be careful what you wish for.

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: Telekill
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby James Brown » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:20 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote:I'm really feeling negative about Shenmue 2 potentially being playable on the Xbox One X. That satisfies the claim you can't play Shenmue on a next gen console, and it also releases Sega from any duty of porting it to any other consoles. I don't see why they'd spend any money on a worthwhile port if that is the case.

So that leaves PS4 without Shenmue 2, the Xbox One X with Shenmue 2 and without Shenmue 3, and neither console with Shenmue 1. Seems like a massive cluster fuck to me. I dunno why people are getting so excited about potentially playing Shenmue 2 on the Xbox One. I guess beggars can't be choosers, but I'd be careful what you wish for.

What do you mean dude? I don't think if Shenmue HD got announced tonight in japan it would be exclusive to the xbox one x?...I'm pretty sure they'd be pushing mainly for PS4, with possibly Xbox One and PC aswell...meaning that doesn't leave any of the consoles without either Shenmue 1 or 2...Xbox would only be missing 3, unless YS Net decide to release it for that aswell, if the PS4 even has 3 as a timed exclusive anyways...

Are you confused in thinking that this announcement would be something to do with Shenmue 2 being backwards compatible? I highly doubt that that would be a "Huge" announcement at a Sega event.

James Brown has received a thanks from: Telekill
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Postby Jibby » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:21 pm

This is all pretty nuts, eh?
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlueMue » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:28 pm

I'm getting all sorts of ideas and mixed feelings from this. The way that Koch Media seems to be in with the hype points quite well towards Shenmue. Now they also deal with publishing Yakuza but not in Japan obviously. Dunno...
And despite the fact that the event really isn't fitting the Sonic Racing game stays the elephant in the room so this could go any way.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:35 pm

After that second tweet they are either the biggest trolls ever, or this is really it for Shenmue HD remasters.

I'm going with the second one, holy shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mjq jazz bar » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:37 pm

James Brown wrote:
mjq jazz bar wrote:I'm really feeling negative about Shenmue 2 potentially being playable on the Xbox One X. That satisfies the claim you can't play Shenmue on a next gen console, and it also releases Sega from any duty of porting it to any other consoles. I don't see why they'd spend any money on a worthwhile port if that is the case.

What do you mean dude? I don't think if Shenmue HD got announced tonight in japan it would be exclusive to the xbox one x?...I'm pretty sure they'd be pushing mainly for PS4, with possibly Xbox One and PC aswell...meaning that doesn't leave any of the consoles without either Shenmue 1 or 2...Xbox would only be missing 3, unless YS Net decide to release it for that aswell, if the PS4 even has 3 as a timed exclusive anyways...

Are you confused in thinking that this announcement would be something to do with Shenmue 2 being backwards compatible? I highly doubt that that would be a "Huge" announcement at a Sega event.
Shenmue 2 being backwards compatible on the One X was the big thing this week. I saw Team Yu talking about it on Twitter. I don't see how they're gonna roll out quality ports and also announce Shenmue 2 backwards compatibility on the One X. Seems completely insane to me. I feel like it's either one or the other at this point, and I'd much rather hear they're porting both games to both consoles.

I don't think that's what they're announcing at Sega Fes, but I do think an announcement about Sega's back catalog being available on PC/Xbox One is a possibility.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby BlueMue » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:59 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote:Shenmue 2 being backwards compatible on the One X was the big thing this week. I saw Team Yu talking about it on Twitter.

It was? I totally missed that. I remember bringing up the idea of Shenmue II going on there after they announced this feature. I also don't think that this would be huge enough but Sega used to use that word very loosely.
In any way Shenmue II getting the X treatment is not instantly dooming HD, I wouldn't worry that much.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:03 pm

punkmanced wrote:Sure, but Japan isn’t exactly crazy about Shenmue either. Would a Japanese festival be the place to announce anything Shenmue related? Granted, the Shenmue guys have used MAGIC of all conferences, so honestly, who the hell knows at this point.

Regardless, I’m intrigued.
(...and secretly hoping for a Dreamcast 2)

Shenmue has its Japanese fans. It's a very Japanese game at heart, which we all know, and I think announcing it at a Japanese SEGA event (though broadcast worldwide) might be a "local pride" kind of thing; as there's kind of a prevailing opinion in some parts that Shenmue was the last time Japan ever went all-out on creating a high end (for the time), industry-leading game. I think Tekken's Harada called it as much during his interview with Yu.

I just don't think it's going to be Sonic because all those announcements happen in the West, where the series is most popular. Shenmue has I guess... more of an even spread? Like 400k of the sales of the original were in Japan; where the Dreamcast supposedly had its lowest install base. That's apparently what Yakuza sells over in Japan, and that's considered big.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby iyapol » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:11 pm

ShenSun wrote:If Shenmue HD gets announced, I'll run through the street naked.

Nothing new there, then. \:D/
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby darksniper » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:21 pm

I'm hoping that it's Shenmue HD but this is Sega we're talking about here. Not getting my hopes up. Knowing them, I'm putting my money on Aliens Colonial Marines 2
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III