So does Shenmue III ride the coattails for E3?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

So does Shenmue III ride the coattails for E3?

Postby Valascaziel » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:29 pm

With years of pleading now vindicated, do you think Shenmue IIIs chances of making a splash at E3 is more likely?

It would go well with a date given for the remaster around the same time frame?
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Re: So does Shenmue III ride the coattails for E3?

Postby Telekill » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:50 pm

It would make sense for Shenmue 3 to be at E3 to show some gameplay at the very least. I would be happy to finally have a release date but who knows what will happen. Only time will tell.

Frankly I'm just happy that it's actually happening. With the announcement of the Shenmue HD Collection set to release this year, I would be fine if Yu Suzuki needed another few months to polish the third installment. I'll be playing through the HD collection before I touch the third regardless.

Telekill has received a thanks from: Reprise
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:54 pm

I want to believe.jpg

We'll see, though. I think the game is rapidly approaching a point where it's ready for that kind of exposure, but it depends what YSnet and Deep Silver want to set the tone with for Shenmue III's next showing.

English dubbing starting just weeks before E3 would put a dampener on any kind of story trailer. In English, at least. If they're ahead (or near complete) with the Japanese language track then... maybe. If neither are ready then their options are going to be limited on what can be shown.

I suppose they could take a leaf out of Shenmue 1 & 2's book and show Ryo running about environments, some snips of cutscenes without dialogue, etc - but I think E3 kind of demands... more than that.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby adom11800 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:38 am

Surely they have to show something? It would be seriously bad if they didn't and I think Yu Suzuki even said that fans will get impatient.
If they show anything at E3 then it's hard to know what they will show. I think they could still show a trailer with voices as it gives them enough time but who knows. My best bet is a gameplay trailer, showing the battle system, Ryo running around, etc.

E3 is as good as time as any to show Shenmue III.

adom11800 has received a thanks from: Pollito Diablo
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Kiske » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:05 am

Spaghetti wrote: I want to believe.jpg

We'll see, though. I think the game is rapidly approaching a point where it's ready for that kind of exposure, but it depends what YSnet and Deep Silver want to set the tone with for Shenmue III's next showing.

English dubbing starting just weeks before E3 would put a dampener on any kind of story trailer. In English, at least. If they're ahead (or near complete) with the Japanese language track then... maybe. If neither are ready then their options are going to be limited on what can be shown.

I suppose they could take a leaf out of Shenmue 1 & 2's book and show Ryo running about environments, some snips of cutscenes without dialogue, etc - but I think E3 kind of demands... more than that.

About Japanese language track:
http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2018/0 ... prise.html

As for the release date, the announcement of Shenmue 1&2 set for release by the end of the year puts my mind at peace.
If Yu needs another 6 months to polish Shenmue 3, let be it.

PS. Sorry Spags, missed your post about Matsukaze San >_<
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Pollito Diablo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:54 am

adom11800 wrote:E3 is as good as time as any to show Shenmue III.

100% right! Everybody is talking about the Shenmue franchise, it's the perfect time to show some videos, I'm sure also Yu Suzuki is so motivated now, he saw again the fans in the Magic Show, Koch Media is behind the project, Sega is releasing the HD versions, everything seems to be alright, they need to enjoy this moment and spread the word Shenmue is alive.
Pollito Diablo
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby TheThirdComing » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:33 am

I'm really hoping it does, just to remind people about the quick Starter and really reach an auidence to notifiy that newecomers can catch up with the saga via the Remaster.

Also, for a game which is set for the end of 2018 after being delayed from 2017 I think we'd really be set for a gameplay demonstration, seeing it in action. But I think more likely it would be a pre-made trailer delaying the game to 2019 - Which is fine... the game just needs to be good!
TheThirdComing

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby spud1897 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:50 am

I think it is ideal if it does.

I can't imagine it would take much to show a cut scene with voices and gameplay if it's all ready.

We shall see but from a marketing point of view unless the game isn't ready they need to ride the crest of the wave here.
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2

Postby Centrale » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:13 am

In my observations it seems that E3 has become such a ... I'm trying to think of a polite term for clusterfuck ... ah, well, I think that pretty much sums it up. Over the years we've seen publishers and platform holders rescheduling their own events to try and get some more time and attention so their announcements aren't lost in the shuffle. For this reason I wouldn't be too surprised if the marketing strategy is to do something around E3 rather than during. It wouldn't seem like a big problem to me if they opt not to duke it out in the noise pit.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby darksniper » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:21 pm

I'd rather them showcase the game when it's ready. With Yu acquiring more financial support to further development, I don't think it's coming out in 2018. Yu has been rather quiet since the announcement of I and II HD so perhaps they are further along in development than we think. With that said, I don't think it's going to be shown at E3.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hazuki00 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:12 am

They should be very advanced in the development. The game had a provisional release date last december and Suzuki delayed it one year and a half (if we count on the game release in december) so they must be giving the game the last touches.

I can't see Suzuki in another video telling he needs more time to finish the game, that'd imply he was wrong in his estimations and I doubt Suzuki didn't spend a lot of time calculating this very important thing to be wrong.

Hazuki00 has received a thanks from: SledgeNE
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm

While Yu is probably one of the most well seasoned developers on the planet, game scheduling sneaks up even on experts sometimes.

I don't think it's impossible we'll get another update on the development schedule, but I do feel confident the game is progressing well and in good shape.

If both English and Japanese VA hasn't started and might not until May... I think E3 might be out of the question because of how limited showing a story-based game can be without dialogue. The work timeline might just have left YSnet with no other option than to maybe skip.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Reprise
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby NismoZZzz » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:08 pm

I guarantee we get something new at E3 and I am certain we will have a phrase uttered by Ryo.
NismoZZzz
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:14 pm

in general I dont think Shenmue III rides the coat tails of anything, I think Sega and the Shenmue HD Collection are riding Shenmue III's coat tails, which hopefully we get release dates for BOTH at E3??

I think the HD collections help Shenmue III, but what I am thinking is how many people buy and play HD Collection, and what percentage of the ORIGINAL fans turn out for Shenmue III? And I think it will be a decent percentage because of the cult status of Shenmue, the new fans that turn out for Shenmue III will just be the icing on the cake at this point. But I think both releases assist each other plenty and go hand it hand, Shenmue III initiated everything, but Sega had to approve it and give Yu the rights to even do it, but now because of that it has opened the door for the HD collections which will ultimately set the ground work for Shenmue III to be all it can be.

Now imagine if they had released the Shenmue HD collection BEFORE Shenmue III was even announced? Man the kick starter likely would have been even stronger and things may have gone smoother. On the other hand, and god forbid, new fans dont really take a liking to the HD collection and III ultimately tanks because of it? Its going to be interesting to see whats going to happen.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby adom11800 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:18 am

Pollito Diablo wrote:
adom11800 wrote:E3 is as good as time as any to show Shenmue III.

100% right! Everybody is talking about the Shenmue franchise, it's the perfect time to show some videos, I'm sure also Yu Suzuki is so motivated now, he saw again the fans in the Magic Show, Koch Media is behind the project, Sega is releasing the HD versions, everything seems to be alright, they need to enjoy this moment and spread the word Shenmue is alive.

Yeah man, I can't think of any other of a good time and place to show Shenmue III then at this year's E3. I mean looking at those screenshots at Magic, if the game looks that good in image then imagine how good it will look in video. I like to think that's what Yu, his team and Deep silver and saving it for.

It's a great thing that Shenmue HD is happening, so looking forward to seeing how it plays. Don't games usually take around 3+ years to develop ? So I don't think Shenmue III will be delayed again into 2019. Maybe earliest Q1 2019 to debug or polish but I don't see why it would be delayed that much. Unless more money has been invested.

adom11800 has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
adom11800

Next

Return to Shenmue III