Shenmue III gets provisional PEGI rating

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Shenmue III gets provisional PEGI rating

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:25 pm

As per Gameblog's Romain, who noticed Shenmue III also now had a retail listing on Amazon FR; https://twitter.com/RomainMahut/status/988419535014367233

Pretty sure the white on black placeholder cover has appeared before, but what appears to be new is the provisional PEGI rating.

In order to get a provisional rating, the publisher has to pay a fee, fill out a questionnaire about the game's content, and allow PEGI to play a portion of the game and review video sequences. From what I can gather, this happens when the publisher is moving forwards with the retail process (pre-orders, etc) and looking to get games certified by platform holders.

Not that it means a whole lot, but I've gone back through a few games Deep Silver have distributed and saw they had a provisional rating within 6-8 months of release.

Safe to say the wheels are turning in the background, though.

Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Re: Shenmue III gets provisional PEGI rating

Postby Amir » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:32 pm

Looks like we may get the game by the end of this year after all :)
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:38 am

Very good news to me! It seems still viable for them to release the game this year!

So maybe we could get Shenmue HD by the end of the summer, that'd be at least 3 months to play the games before the launch of 3.

Hazuki00 has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Kiske » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:51 am

Fingers crossed!

That said, with Shenmue I & II coming by the end of the year, I would be more than okay with a reasonable delay in order for Yu San to polish Shenmue 3.

Kiske has received a thanks from: Sonoshee
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:34 am

Importantly - it speaks to Deep Silver's confidence that the game's completion is within reasonable reach. What that means for release date speculation is unknown, but I would not be surprised if we're playing Shenmue III within the space of a year.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:49 am

Spaghetti wrote: Importantly - it speaks to Deep Silver's confidence that the game's completion is within reasonable reach. What that means for release date speculation is unknown, but I would not be surprised if we're playing Shenmue III within the space of a year.

Within the space of a year? Where do I sign? :king:

Kiske has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby ShenSun » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:10 am

Hoping it gets an early 2019 release. It will give Shenmue HD time to breathe on the market, plus it will avoid the rush of games in the fall. Releasing in a quiet month will also direct all attention on to shenmue. Either way, we're almost there.

ShenSun has received a thanks from: dietsoap
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:41 am

I could see Q1 2019 happening. Q2 at the very latest.

Then again, I wouldn't count YsNet out for managing to pull off 2018 either.

Stranger things have happened; namely the original Shenmue getting its Japanese release delayed into Spring 2000, but then managing to pull off a 1999 release by a matter of days. Then again, things were different in those days, and probably spurred on by trying to beat the PS2 to market.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Amir » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:11 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Stranger things have happened; namely the original Shenmue getting its Japanese release delayed into Spring 2000, but then managing to pull off a 1999 release by a matter of days.

TIL.

Is it known if the original Japanese version of Shenmue has more bugs than the US or EU versions? I remember the interview between James Reiner and the Sega of America dude who mentioned that SoA did a lot of playtesting on Shenmue as well, wonder what was picked up.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby ShenmueTree » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:27 am

I wonder if they went through the same process with the ESRB or if that will happen later. Most people will probably be against it, but I want to read the ESRB description since it often gives hints on plot/gameplay, most recently it revealed a lot of interesting stuff about God of War.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:15 am

ShenmueTree wrote: I wonder if they went through the same process with the ESRB or if that will happen later. Most people will probably be against it, but I want to read the ESRB description since it often gives hints on plot/gameplay, most recently it revealed a lot of interesting stuff about God of War.

Probably going through the process, but the ESRB don't issue provisional ratings do they? That stuff probably won't show up for a few months yet.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenmueTree » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:10 am

Spaghetti wrote:
ShenmueTree wrote: I wonder if they went through the same process with the ESRB or if that will happen later. Most people will probably be against it, but I want to read the ESRB description since it often gives hints on plot/gameplay, most recently it revealed a lot of interesting stuff about God of War.

Probably going through the process, but the ESRB don't issue provisional ratings do they? That stuff probably won't show up for a few months yet.

Don't know if there is actually a provisional process for ESRB but I thought I remember seeing estimated ESRB ratings with a note that said "Rating not final" a few times, on T and M rated games. And yeah, I think since ESRB is for NA and Mexico, ratings would come at a later date since I think Shibuya Productions is mainly a French/Japanese company, and well, I guess the home country takes priority. :rotflmao:

But for real. I need some information! At least an ESRB description would note if there are bladed weapons in the game, and give us a clue as if you can use Ren's knife.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby swimingdeer » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:27 pm

Well, I guess that the 12+ rating is mainly for the gambling, in the game.

If I'm not mistaken, it is something that had been established some years ago.
(Games with gambling have 12+ PEGI rating.)
This is most certainly why virtual console GB pokemon games had this rating.
(And why there is no more gambling in the series.)

So, I'm not surprised by the rating.
Knowing about this regulation, I was expecting a 12+ rating for SH3.
(I was even more certain when I saw the rating on the boxes for Shenmue I&II)
swimingdeer
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:52 pm

Yeah. It's basically in line with the age ratings the first two games got in Europe, even if they're being given out by a different classifications board now.

Blood plays a factor in how these ratings are determined too, so it's safe to assume that Shenmue III will be as bloodless as I & II were. Not that anybody particularly wanted blood in Shenmue though. Right?
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby BlueMue » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:11 pm

Well in the Shenmue games there is hardly any situation that really needs the red stuff. The canon story at least, some failure would let some out and after all there is the infamous fade to red that was even too "violent" for anyone but the Japanese.

Only place where I think some blood could be used to good effect is during the opening. I imagine a bit of blood running out of Iwao's mouth would make clear how he is wounded and that it is very serious. Could make the scene more impactful. But that's just some thought I had just now. Don't need it, the game doesn't need it.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to Shenmue III