Chapters

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Chapters

Postby dietsoap » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:33 am

What chapters do you think S3 is going to encompass? iirc (could definitely be wrong, please correct me if so), there are 11 chapters in Shenmue. Chapter 1 was Shenmue 1, chapter 2 was the the time on the boat to China, chapters 3, 4, 5, and 6 were Shenmue 2.

Image
User avatar
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
 
Joined: December 2013
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Chapters

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:03 pm

I think Yu said in an interview that III covers chapters 5 and 6. I think he's also said in the past Shenmue II was chapter 2, some re-purposed bits of 4, and the start of 5. 3 was apparently dropped altogether, but the scenario could return in a later game.

Can't for the life of me remember which interview(s) this all came out of, though. Maybe some from 2016?

Chapter discussion gets really confusing at a point, because there have been some conflicting answers over the years and we know Yu will adapt the original story as he goes along if an improved game is the result. Calling the canned boat section Chapter 2 has also mixed things up, because as we can see from the chapter art released; 2 is clearly the bulk of the main scenario for Shenmue III.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: Amir, VukBZ2005
User avatar
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: November 2015

Re: Chapters

Postby adom11800 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:44 pm

Shenmue 3 will be chapter 5 and 6 I believe but it makes me think how will Yu put the rest of the chapters in Shenmue IV? Most likely won't end with IV then.
Yu Suzuki: 'No matter where I go I'm asked about the third version.'
User avatar
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades
 
Joined: March 2017

Re: Chapters

Postby dietsoap » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:52 pm

Spaghetti wrote: I think Yu said in an interview that III covers chapters 5 and 6. I think he's also said in the past Shenmue II was chapter 2, some re-purposed bits of 4, and the start of 5. 3 was apparently dropped altogether, but the scenario could return in a later game.

Can't for the life of me remember which interview(s) this all came out of, though. Maybe some from 2016?

Chapter discussion gets really confusing at a point, because there have been some conflicting answers over the years and we know Yu will adapt the original story as he goes along if an improved game is the result. Calling the canned boat section Chapter 2 has also mixed things up, because as we can see from the chapter art released; 2 is clearly the bulk of the main scenario for Shenmue III.

adom11800 wrote: Shenmue 3 will be chapter 5 and 6 I believe but it makes me think how will Yu put the rest of the chapters in Shenmue IV? Most likely won't end with IV then.

So S3 is chapters 5 and 6 according to Suzuki himself? And I'm assuming you meant "bulk of the main scenario for Shenmue II", meaning Shenmue 2 is chapters 2, 3, and 4 with a little bit of 5. I guess that means a hypothetical Shenmue 4 would be chapters 7, 8, and 9, while Shenmue 5 would be chapters 10 and 11.. Or it could be Shenmue 4 = chapters 7 and 8 while Shenmue 5 = 9, 10, and 11.

Also, why do so many places use a 16 chapter figure? I came across the links below trying to find info about chapter 2, and they all mention 16 chapters. Was that ever a figure Suzuki himself used or something?

viewtopic.php?start=15&t=32745
http://retrowaretv.com/shenmue-ii-revie ... -and-xbox/
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/19 ... e/48853192
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/19 ... 605?page=1
User avatar
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
 
Joined: December 2013
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Chapters

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:56 pm

dietsoap wrote:Also, why do so many places use a 16 chapter figure? I came across the links below trying to find info about chapter 2, and they all mention 16 chapters. Was that ever a figure Suzuki himself used or something?


The 16 chapter figure comes from this:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49334
Image
My Youtube Channel With Loads of Shenmue Content!
https://www.youtube.com/lordcanti

--------------SHENMUE 3 MOD TEAM LEADER: THE CHIYOUMEN--------------
Image
User avatar
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff
 
Joined: August 2004
Location: New Jersey, USA
PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Re: Chapters

Postby Haruto » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:13 pm

This is now getting Zelda timeline complicated. I thought Shenmue 2 was 3,4,5 and 2 was a comic on the boat. Now he is retroactively changing that? I wish Shenmue would go verse 1 chapter 2 or something. So like Shenmue II would be Verse 2 and have between 5 and 10 chapters.
Image
User avatar
Haruto
Banned
Banned
 
Joined: April 2018
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Chapters

Postby sand4fish » Tue May 01, 2018 1:31 am

Haruto wrote: This is now getting Zelda timeline complicated. I thought Shenmue 2 was 3,4,5 and 2 was a comic on the boat. Now he is retroactively changing that? I wish Shenmue would go verse 1 chapter 2 or something. So like Shenmue II would be Verse 2 and have between 5 and 10 chapters.


How so? It is not like there is time travel or multiple intricate subplots going on with the story, just a straight forward revenge tale with some drama and mysticism thrown in it. These numbered chapters mean little to players and they are just manuscript references Yu uses to visualize how much plot content he intends to cram within a single game afaik.
User avatar
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"
 
Joined: November 2013
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Chapters

Postby adom11800 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:47 am

dietsoap wrote:
Spaghetti wrote: I think Yu said in an interview that III covers chapters 5 and 6. I think he's also said in the past Shenmue II was chapter 2, some re-purposed bits of 4, and the start of 5. 3 was apparently dropped altogether, but the scenario could return in a later game.

Can't for the life of me remember which interview(s) this all came out of, though. Maybe some from 2016?

Chapter discussion gets really confusing at a point, because there have been some conflicting answers over the years and we know Yu will adapt the original story as he goes along if an improved game is the result. Calling the canned boat section Chapter 2 has also mixed things up, because as we can see from the chapter art released; 2 is clearly the bulk of the main scenario for Shenmue III.

adom11800 wrote: Shenmue 3 will be chapter 5 and 6 I believe but it makes me think how will Yu put the rest of the chapters in Shenmue IV? Most likely won't end with IV then.

So S3 is chapters 5 and 6 according to Suzuki himself? And I'm assuming you meant "bulk of the main scenario for Shenmue II", meaning Shenmue 2 is chapters 2, 3, and 4 with a little bit of 5. I guess that means a hypothetical Shenmue 4 would be chapters 7, 8, and 9, while Shenmue 5 would be chapters 10 and 11.. Or it could be Shenmue 4 = chapters 7 and 8 while Shenmue 5 = 9, 10, and 11.

Also, why do so many places use a 16 chapter figure? I came across the links below trying to find info about chapter 2, and they all mention 16 chapters. Was that ever a figure Suzuki himself used or something?

viewtopic.php?start=15&t=32745
http://retrowaretv.com/shenmue-ii-revie ... -and-xbox/
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/19 ... e/48853192
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/19 ... 605?page=1


I think Yu said that it was original 16 chapters but got changed to 11?

Yeah I think he said that Shenmue 2 ended in chapter 5 so the remaining chapter will be in Shenmue III and chapter 6 too. I would assume Shenmue IV will be a big one and have chapters 7,8 and 9? Of course it would be great to have Shenmue V to see the finale of the series but that kinda worries me as we don't want to go through the 14 years of waiting again. We can only hope the series is going to sell very well and so far it's doing good.
Yu Suzuki: 'No matter where I go I'm asked about the third version.'
User avatar
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades
 
Joined: March 2017

Re: Chapters

Postby Amir » Tue May 01, 2018 6:23 am

11 chapters was the original "novel" timeline with the images for each chapter that we saw at GDC 2014. That doesn't include things like the boat chapter; the boat chapter is only a "thing" in the 16 chapter framework. These days Suzuki seems to stick to the 11 chapter timeline, where the third chapter was a train ride that was cut (but very briefly seen in the Project Berkeley CG video).
User avatar
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"
 
Joined: April 2015
Location: London
Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Re: Chapters

Postby Centrale » Tue May 01, 2018 11:40 am

Haruto wrote: This is now getting Zelda timeline complicated. I thought Shenmue 2 was 3,4,5 and 2 was a comic on the boat. Now he is retroactively changing that?


The concept of "chapters" was really only for planning purposes, and well, plans can change.
User avatar
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: June 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Chapters

Postby badamn » Thu May 03, 2018 9:58 am

looks to me that he's gonna turn into Akira by the time its all said and done
badamn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
 
Joined: August 2007
Location: bishop ca

Re: Chapters

Postby johnjohnbrem » Thu May 03, 2018 12:48 pm

badamn wrote: looks to me that he's gonna turn into Akira by the time its all said and done

That was kinda the original idea!
User avatar
johnjohnbrem
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative
 
Joined: April 2018
Location: Phuket
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: PUBG

Re: Chapters

Postby dietsoap » Thu May 03, 2018 1:08 pm

Image

hmmmmmmmmm...
User avatar
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
 
Joined: December 2013
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Chapters

Postby badamn » Sat May 05, 2018 10:21 am

In the sixth picture,that big guy,hes got to be the one from the trailer.I wonder who that chick is though
badamn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
 
Joined: August 2007
Location: bishop ca

Re: Chapters

Postby dietsoap » Sat May 05, 2018 12:57 pm

badamn wrote: In the sixth picture,that big guy,hes got to be the one from the trailer.I wonder who that chick is though

Niao Sun I'm guessing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 2eJT9GfVZk
User avatar
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
 
Joined: December 2013
Favorite title: Shenmue

Next

Return to Shenmue III

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000-
ShenmueDojo.net