Kickstarter update #81 - Shenmue 3 delayed until 2019

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter update #81 - Shenmue 3 delayed until 2019

Postby Telekill » Thu May 17, 2018 6:37 pm

In reference to the logo on page 6 of the comments, I'm hoping for the return of the original logo. I still really don't like the Yu Suzuki drawn logo.

Kirino_Matsuyama wrote: Nice to see everybody is so positive. I saw the IGN video and they said it will be delayed as a negative.

IGN paints every delay as a negative. It doesn't matter which game it is. They value not impeding on their impatience more than the quality of the product.

Telekill has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby WildManofBorneo » Thu May 17, 2018 7:47 pm

Telekill wrote: In reference to the logo on page 6 of the comments, I'm hoping for the return of the original logo. I still really don't like the Yu Suzuki drawn logo.

Kirino_Matsuyama wrote: Nice to see everybody is so positive. I saw the IGN video and they said it will be delayed as a negative.

IGN paints every delay as a negative. It doesn't matter which game it is. They value not impeding on their impatience more than the quality of the product.

Granted more development time does not always equate to a better game, however YSNet had received a substantial injection of funds midway through development (which is rare in game development as the budget is established upon the initiation of the publishing deal - however Shenmue 3 was without one until August 2017) which allowed Yu to broaden the game beyond was initially envisioned.

When you look at the average game development cycle, 36-48 months is typically the norm. If anything, it was premature of Yu to target a 2017 release.

An example of various game development periods:

Shenmue I - 48 Months
The Last of Us - 44 Months
Until Dawn - 42 Months
Ico - 44 Months
Uncharted 4 - 42 Months
Heavy Rain - 48 Months
Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) - 49 Months
Resident Evil 5 - 50 Months
Max Payne 3 - 58 Months
Killzone 2 - 51 Months
Beyond: Two Souls - 43 Months
Resident Evil 6 - 43 Months

It's likely that Shenmue 3 will fall between a 46-48 month cycle for a May - July 2019 release. Contrary to the popular opinion of IGN editors this shouldn't be a cause for concern.

Edit: Added additional game titles.
Last edited by WildManofBorneo on Tue May 22, 2018 12:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

WildManofBorneo has received 3 thanks from: Benwah, Elevensixty, VukBZ2005
WildManofBorneo
Master of the Three Blades

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:08 pm

Telekill wrote:

Yeah the announcement of delays always gives these rabid journalists some work for the day, and since we are living in the here and the now era of journalism where everyone just focuses on today and not the big picture. Its easy to see inevitable drivel from them indicating any delay as the development team disappointing the consumer and blah blah blah hear my opinion and support us. Shameful really, riding the coat tails of the actual outlets making important announcements by just reacting to it and calling it some significant piece of information everyone should read. Ah, these poor people sitting at desks at work looking for something to do with their day.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby adom11800 » Fri May 18, 2018 5:05 pm

Shenmue came out in 1999, 2000

Shenmue III is coming out in 2019.

Strange, eh?

adom11800 has received 2 thanks from: KidMarine, VukBZ2005
adom11800

Postby ShenGCH » Sun May 20, 2018 8:10 am

adom11800 wrote: Shenmue came out in 1999, 2000

Shenmue III is coming out in 2019.

Strange, eh?

Really makes you think...
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Valascaziel » Sun May 20, 2018 11:52 am

Well, upon reflection we knew this was coming. I thought a bit more about the revelations last year with Deep Silver 'S involvement.

Considering Yu said he could now expand the game beyond his original vision(i.e larger areas, more NPCs, stretch goals like a full fighting system), also stating a while back that at $10 million, it would have the features of an open world.

There is no way all of that could be fully realized and incorporated within a years time and certainly not by a reasonably small development team.

We are always quick to nitpick the early alpha footage, but I don't think the game will look anywhere close to that when it is properly shown later in the year. A lot can change in that time frame. I don't see the game releasing until Summer 2019 at the earliest, honestly, thinking on how much the scope has changed.

Valascaziel has received a thanks from: WildManofBorneo
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kiske » Thu May 24, 2018 3:09 am

Just came across this tweet this morning:
https://twitter.com/RDonlineNews/status ... 0880343040

NEWS: Rockstar Games CEO Strauss Zelnick confirms that Red Dead Redemption 2 will NOT be delayed again.

He also mentions that there are over 1000 people working on the game.

How many working for YsNet on Shenmue 3 (ok, without Lakshya Digital)? 45?

And there's still people out there whining about Shenmue 3 beeing delayed or not looking as good as a AAA title?

What a gamers generation...

Kiske has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby WildManofBorneo » Sat May 26, 2018 12:53 am

Kiske wrote: Just came across this tweet this morning:
https://twitter.com/RDonlineNews/status ... 0880343040

NEWS: Rockstar Games CEO Strauss Zelnick confirms that Red Dead Redemption 2 will NOT be delayed again.

He also mentions that there are over 1000 people working on the game.

How many working for YsNet on Shenmue 3 (ok, without Lakshya Digital)? 45?

And there's still people out there whining about Shenmue 3 beeing delayed or not looking as good as a AAA title?

What a gamers generation...

The 1000 figure provided by Rockstar is obviously marketing speak and not representative of the core development team (Programming, Art, Design, Audio). As it is, Rockstar San Diego only employs around 130 staff. The gist of that number given by the Rockstar CEO is going to be attributed to the droves of voice actors. See previous game credits:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/ps3/red-d ... on/credits

As far as Shenmue 3 is concerned, the 45 staff at YSNet are but a small part of the game's development story. Outsourcing unquestionably extends beyond Lakshya and most certainly comprises of a number of local Japanese studios - which we will learn of upon the game's release. I would estimate Shenmue 3 core staff to be more in the range of 90-115 persons.

Save this post, hold me to these numbers, and in a year you'll see that I was correct. ;)
WildManofBorneo

Postby Haruto » Sat May 26, 2018 11:40 am

Also often in game development that staff is not working at the same time,they alternate. Some are just freelancers hired temp.

Haruto has received a thanks from: WildManofBorneo
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat May 26, 2018 5:48 pm

Some of them don't even get credited! (See: Tose)
Depends on their contract. Also, I recall some of the members of the team being in the office having their faces blurred out on the group photo, so it may be a second job to some of them (work at SEGA during the day, help out for a couple of hours at the end of the day with Shenmue 3). I've heard stories like that before. Those people normally just get "Special Thanks" credits.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: WildManofBorneo
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Previous

Return to Shenmue III