Kickstarter update #81 - Shenmue 3 delayed until 2019

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter update #81 - Shenmue 3 delayed until 2019

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 16, 2018 1:11 pm

johnjohnbrem wrote:one could argue that you guys are overeacting a bit, but i'm not really trying to defend anyone here.
every now and again there comes the stench of semi-totalitarianism. but hey, then again, not trying to defend anyone. I don't really care, tbh, just stating an opinion.

They've behaved like this practically since I started posting here. Don't buy the "I'm only talking facts" "I wish I could say something positive" schtick, it gets pulled out regardless of what's shown or not shown.

You only have to look at Nov '17's "less updates? I'M MAD AND HERE'S WHY" and Dec '17's "there's an update after they said there'd be less? I'M MAD AND HERE'S WHY" to know what a fucking sham they are as a poster. Update drops, says something negative, gone. Update drops, says something negative, gone.

A habitual shit poster and nothing else.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: RiGoRmOrTiS
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mjq jazz bar » Wed May 16, 2018 1:16 pm

He's never said a good word about this game. I believe he is or was a fan, but every post of his in every update thread has been overwhelmingly negative. At least when I'm negative, I try to temper my negativity... :twisted:

I'm in the "Holy Shit, Shenmue 3 exists am I dreaming?" camp still, so my baseline is positivity in spite of everything I've seen.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby TheThirdComing » Wed May 16, 2018 1:19 pm

We're all expecting this right? I'm not concerned it jsut doesn't seem their that far in development, if anything I'm expecting a 2019 Fall release. I can wait this game just needs to be be good! I think a compensational trailer would help as we still havent seen any direct Gameplay...

TheThirdComing has received a thanks from: dietsoap
TheThirdComing
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 16, 2018 1:19 pm

BlueCreeperBoy12 wrote:Email? Was this to Kickstarter backers only? I backed on the slacker backer and haven't had an email.

Yeah, KS backers get email through Kickstarter's systems. There's nothing in place for Slacker Backers it seems.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby dietsoap » Wed May 16, 2018 1:46 pm

WildManofBorneo wrote: Given the strong preorder sales numbers for the forthcoming HD releases, there's good reason to believe that Deep Silver has sufficiently increased the budget for Shenmue 3. This injection of capital would not only provide YSNet with additional development time (as we have learned), but more importantly afford the resources to increase the number of staff working on the project.

Yeah, I was thinking this might be a possibility as well.
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:52 pm

I am perfectly okay with this in the wake of the news of the HD Collection. Now we get to have a Shenmue party in 2018 AND in 2019! READY THE BOOZE! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

AnimeGamer183 has received 2 thanks from: cham69, Truck_1_0_1_
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Rikitatsu » Wed May 16, 2018 1:55 pm

It's fine, 4 years is the average development time for a game these days, by 2019 it will be 4 years for Shenmue 3. I saw the delay coming.

Rikitatsu has received 2 thanks from: cham69, Reprise
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Enigma » Wed May 16, 2018 2:00 pm

Fine with me. I'll have more time to enjoy replaying the HD collection to death.

Though I'm pretty sure this announcement has destroyed some people's lives over on the Kickstarter comments and they're probably busy contacting their therapists right now.
Enigma
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: SWOTOR

Postby BalHan » Wed May 16, 2018 2:02 pm

To those fans who are unhappy with the news, I mean it's not exactly terrible news is it? We're being assured a 2019 S3 release will be much better game than a 2018 release so just be happy you'll be getting the best possible game that they can give you. And it's not like you've got nothing Shenmue-related to look forward to until then 'cos, in case you don't know... Shenmue HD comes out this year! So that should tide you over until next year, you never know it might even take your mind of S3.

But please not another delay until 2020.
BalHan
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Master Mo » Wed May 16, 2018 2:22 pm

This is what I wrote on the topic for the last delay:

Honestly when you produce a game that didn`t meet the initial launch window, rightfully so if the game need more time in the cooker, it is never a good idea to not show any substantial progress after that delay announcement. They failed to do that imo.

I also think that when you let your audience fund the game there should be an obligation to keep people up to date. They failed to do that as well looking at the comments in the forum, livestreams and youtube.

I think this is a statement that I stand by. When you do a substantial delay like this you owe it to your audience to at least show them what the game currently looks like. This game is in development for at least 3 years and we haven`t seen Ryo walk... Ridiculous! If at e3 there is no new content I think this will declared as one of the worst kickstarter campaigns when it comes to marketing.

Master Mo has received a thanks from: Technophilz
Master Mo

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Wed May 16, 2018 2:30 pm

Master Mo wrote: This is what I wrote on the topic for the last delay:

Honestly when you produce a game that didn`t meet the initial launch window, rightfully so if the game need more time in the cooker, it is never a good idea to not show any substantial progress after that delay announcement. They failed to do that imo.

I also think that when you let your audience fund the game there should be an obligation to keep people up to date. They failed to do that as well looking at the comments in the forum, livestreams and youtube.

I think this is a statement that I stand by. When you do a substantial delay like this you owe it to your audience to at least show them what the game currently looks like. This game is in development for at least 3 years and we haven`t seen Ryo walk... Ridiculous! If at e3 there is no new content I think this will declared as one of the worst kickstarter campaigns when it comes to marketing.

Awesome Japan didn't do this already?
Truck_1_0_1_

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby Centrale » Wed May 16, 2018 2:34 pm

Master Mo wrote:Ridiculous! If at e3 there is no new content I think this will declared as one of the worst kickstarter campaigns when it comes to marketing.

By who, the Internet Salt Brigade? As far as the rest of the world is concerned, this is one of the most successful Kickstarters of all time. You can disagree with how much "behind the scenes" footage is shown, but YsNet is under no obligation to provide that kind of secondary content. Personally I'd like to see more, too, but it seems obvious that Deep Silver has taken over marketing and will roll out an official campaign when they're ready.

I agree with the speculation that Deep Silver took notice of the phenomenal response the I & II collection has gotten and that gave them confidence in investing in more development time.

Centrale has received 3 thanks from: BalHan, Elevensixty, Spaghetti
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Technophilz » Wed May 16, 2018 2:47 pm

Truck_1_0_1_ wrote:
Awesome Japan didn't do this already?

Yup, and it's really hard to outperform them..
Technophilz

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 16, 2018 2:48 pm

Before the marketing bitching begins, please keep in mind that some of you were practically begging for Deep Silver to take the reigns earlier in the year. How this delay was handled clearly shows that they have. Cleanly, coldly, and done through a press release. Professionally handled.

And that's fine. We were told to expect a hand-off to Deep Silver's PR team late last year, and now we've got it. Old rules don't apply, and neither do the bullshit "if they don't do this, this, this, and this I'll be so disappointed" ones either.

Sit tight. We'll see more later in the year most likely.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mjq jazz bar » Wed May 16, 2018 2:54 pm

Centrale wrote:
Master Mo wrote:Ridiculous! If at e3 there is no new content I think this will declared as one of the worst kickstarter campaigns when it comes to marketing.

By who, the Internet Salt Brigade? As far as the rest of the world is concerned, this is one of the most successful Kickstarters of all time. You can disagree with how much "behind the scenes" footage is shown, but YsNet is under no obligation to provide that kind of secondary content. Personally I'd like to see more, too, but it seems obvious that Deep Silver has taken over marketing and will roll out an official campaign when they're ready.

I agree with the speculation that Deep Silver took notice of the phenomenal response the I & II collection has gotten and that gave them confidence in investing in more development time.

It is literally the most successful video game Kickstarter of all time (to this date). That said, it was in spite of Awesome Japan, not because of them. I'm doubtful they could've raised any more than they have already, though. We're talking $6 million, and like I said, the most successful Kickstarter of all time. Yeah, they annoyed us all, but that's how it goes. Bloodstained was managed much better than Shenmue III and only raised 1/3 of the funds Shenmue III received.

I'm a little disappointed we've seen no gameplay yet, but I'm looking forward to being surprised. More time in the oven means a better game in my eyes.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III