New Shenmue III pics from THQ Nordic financial presentation

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: New Shenmue III pics from THQ Nordic financial presentat

Postby Rikitatsu » Sun May 20, 2018 4:51 pm

The current Shenhua is the closest to her original design, by FAR. I cannot fathom how someone would consider the Gamescom version to be better or closer to her original design, she literally has no Asian features.

Rikitatsu has received 2 thanks from: KidMarine, WildManofBorneo
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Nick-Fiji » Sun May 20, 2018 6:52 pm

that's what the face of the protagonist should look like:

Not like that:

especially not as here:

His face on most of the images is like he wants to fart, but hold back. looks like a doll, not like a real man.

do not misunderstand me. I'm not a hater. I love the first two parts of this game. and what is now the third - this is not good. Shenmue 3 deserves more.
Nick-Fiji
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: Nick-Fiji
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: The Evil Within 2

Postby Jibby » Sun May 20, 2018 7:13 pm

Nick-Fiji wrote: that's what the face of the protagonist should look like:

This is the old 2015 model that everyone hated, just with some filters applied to it. It looked bad back then and it looks bad now.

Jibby has received 2 thanks from: Niowiad, Spaghetti
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby ShenmueTree » Sun May 20, 2018 8:13 pm

Does Ryo look more Chinese than Japanese in the most recent footage to anyone else? I think that's what is making his face feel off for me.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby WildManofBorneo » Sun May 20, 2018 8:52 pm

Ryo still needs some work.

Shenmue II

Shenmue III

He's lacking a certain innocent youthfulness, a certain purity in the current model.
WildManofBorneo
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Jibby » Sun May 20, 2018 9:49 pm

To me they look pretty much the same, only the top one's running on a Dreamcast and the bottom one's a modern game.

Spaghetti posted this earlier, but I think it's worth emphasising again that what we've seen already matches what Ryo is supposed to look like. It just doesn't look like a Dreamcast version of him because, well... it isn't.

We're not going to get that signature 'Dreamcast look' with Shenmue III because it isn't a Dreamcast game.

Jibby has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spaghetti » Sun May 20, 2018 9:51 pm

WildManofBorneo wrote:Ryo still needs some work.

Shenmue II

Shenmue III

He's lacking a certain innocent youthfulness, a certain purity in the current model.

Why are you showing a Photoshopped image? There are photos of the most recent model in this the OP and on previous pages. What's slightly more perplexing is the youthful innocence bit when the financial meeting footage showed Ryo the most content looking he's been in the series ever.

Jibby wrote:This is the old 2015 model that everyone hated, just with some filters applied to it. It looked bad back then and it looks bad now.

110%.

Remember kids, when you say you want that model, you say you want this:

Coined "fake Ryo" back in 2015 for a reason. Technically and artistically inferior to the most recent model in every.single.way.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: Jibby, VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spaghetti » Sun May 20, 2018 10:12 pm

Double post but I think we need a reminder.

Tastes are always going to vary, as this thread will show, but... come on lads, it's no real contest, is it?

Just makes me wish we had the financials footage in better quality, because there's a lot of extra detail we know that's there that was washed out.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby WildManofBorneo » Sun May 20, 2018 11:00 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
Why are you showing a Photoshopped image? There are photos of the most recent model in this the OP and on previous pages. What's slightly more perplexing is the youthful innocence bit when the financial meeting footage showed Ryo the most content looking he's been in the series ever.

The image was used to compare Ryo from the same angle. I have seen the newest model and it still requires further refinement: reduce the brow ridge, increase the size of the eyes, lower the cheekbones, and reduce the angle of the nose bridge.
WildManofBorneo

Postby Nick-Fiji » Sun May 20, 2018 11:44 pm

Jibby wrote:
Nick-Fiji wrote:This is the old 2015 model that everyone hated, just with some filters applied to it. It looked bad back then and it looks bad now.

Not everyone. As for me, it's look good. Better than, what we have now. Really, i think so
Nick-Fiji
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: Nick-Fiji
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: The Evil Within 2

Postby Spaghetti » Mon May 21, 2018 8:51 am

WildManofBorneo wrote:The image was used to compare Ryo from the same angle. I have seen the newest model and it still requires further refinement: reduce the brow ridge, increase the size of the eyes, lower the cheekbones, and reduce the angle of the nose bridge.

Right.

But is the Photoshopped image what you want Ryo to look like or...? Because to be honest, it looks more like a bootleg Jin Kazama from Tekken who's seen a few too many punches on the nose.

Not even going to go into how pointless comparing to the Shenmue II model is at this point. That's been covered on this page.

Nick-Fiji wrote:Not everyone. As for me, it's look good. Better than, what we have now. Really, i think so

Each to their own but... I think you're going to be in the minority considering the huge stink people kicked up about the E3 2015 model.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby KidMarine » Mon May 21, 2018 10:07 am

I don't really like Ryo's newest model and I think he was a little way to go before he's perfect (like Shenhua), but the idea that that the E3 or Gamescom models are superior is just absurd to me. Obviously everyone's entitled to their opinion, but that might be the wackiest one I've ever heard.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Kyo_JP » Mon May 21, 2018 10:28 am

As much as I hate the visuals of Shenmue Online (it is the reflection of the mid 2000 with everything blooming) is still better than 2015 models. I don´t have a problem with the new look since I think that they are trying to find the balance between the new art style and the image that we have in mind of the old games, and as much as I love them I understand the artistic decission they have made.
Kyo_JP
Asia Travel Representative

Postby BalHan » Mon May 21, 2018 10:36 am

I wish they had gone with Kid Nocon's character model of Ryo rather than the one they're going with in the latest images shown. I know there'll be improvements on the models but Nocon's character model is the best resemblance I've seen to Ryo's design in Shenmue 1 and 2. The closer the model resembles dreamcast Ryo, the happier I'll be.
BalHan

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby mjq jazz bar » Mon May 21, 2018 10:44 am

I agree with Spaghetti.

That 'original' model looks like something out of 2005. I could see a character model like that in a fighting game with a 100-character roster perhaps. People would be howling with rage if the model still looked like that, and they're still howling over the much improved model.

Yikes.

Personally, I think they need to do something drastic to the lighting. That's what's really throwing people off, IMO. It's way too intense and makes everything look like it's humid, yes, but in a very unrealistic way.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III