New Shenmue III pics from THQ Nordic financial presentation

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: New Shenmue 3 images from THQ Nordic financial presentat

Postby adom11800 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:23 am

Wow, what a surprise to come home from work in the morning and see this! Loving the images. Ryo looks as good as ever, Shenhua looks a lot better then her gamescom model now. It's all going to look different in video too.

Still really hoping for the game to be shown at E3 as we still haven't seen any gameplay. If it's not then gamescom is very likely. Also, during the presentation they said they would announce at a later stage the precise date in 2019!

Can't wait for Shenmue I&I HD and Shenmue III on the Playstation 4.
Last edited by adom11800 on Thu May 17, 2018 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades

Postby The_Intruder » Thu May 17, 2018 8:39 am

What time in the presentation do they show the video I can't find it.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Peter » Thu May 17, 2018 8:45 am

The video is in the OP. It starts around 1:12:00

phpBB [video]

Peter has received a thanks from: The_Intruder
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Telekill » Thu May 17, 2018 9:47 am

I have to agree with what many are saying... the Shenhua's new look is great. It restores some faith in the project after the delay.

So... was anything mentioned in this financial presentation about how the financials are specifically for Shenmue 3? i.e. how much THQ/Deep Silver are backing it with?
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Spaghetti » Thu May 17, 2018 10:02 am

Telekill wrote:So... was anything mentioned in this financial presentation about how the financials are specifically for Shenmue 3? i.e. how much THQ/Deep Silver are backing it with?

No, doesn't seem like they've specified. I don't think it particularly matters though, Ys Net are getting more time/money to keep working and that's more important than just a number.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby adom11800 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:23 am

I'm surprised that some people are saying it will take a year or so to polish the game. Doesn't it usually take a couple of months to polish a game? Take FFXV for example.
adom11800

Postby Centrale » Thu May 17, 2018 10:27 am

adom11800 wrote: I'm surprised that some people are saying it will take a year or so to polish the game. Doesn't it usually take a couple of months to polish a game? Take FFXV for example.

Usually the last couple of months are spent optimizing the game. As far as "polish," that's a pretty nebulous term. It's hard to say exactly what that entails. It could be just about anything... adding additional animations to NPCs... replacing repeated textures with unique textures in places... making adjustments to how the controls "feel"... it could really go on for an indefinite amount of time.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby SheepheadCG » Thu May 17, 2018 10:31 am

adom11800 wrote: I'm surprised that some people are saying it will take a year or so to polish the game. Doesn't it usually take a couple of months to polish a game? Take FFXV for example.

Even though they say that they are taking time to polish the game, they could also still be adding new features etc. For all we know, Deep Silver might have even looked at the pre-order numbers of S1 and S2, and thought that it might be worth to pour a little extra money into S3. The delay to 2019 is going to cost them additional money in the way of developer and team salary etc, so maybe they will add a bit more to round out the game with new stuff.

As per usual, we will never really know sadly, until Yu does a postmortem of Shenmue 3 at GDC 2035 ;)

We however, do know that Yu is a perfectionist of sorts, so I am sure that he will not want the game released until it is completely bug free. The gaming landscape has changed since he has been gone (for the worse) with consumers receiving buggy, unfinished and sometimes even broken games. If anyone understands how important it is to release a totally finished and ready product, it's Yu (and even Deep Silver/THQ as we can see from their Financial, they have delayed a number for AAA titles for extra polish - something that more companies should realise, and something that a lot more people are doing as of late.)
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby adom11800 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:33 am

Centrale wrote:

Usually the last couple of months are spent optimizing the game. As far as "polish," that's a pretty nebulous term. It's hard to say exactly what that entails. It could be just about anything... adding additional animations to NPCs... replacing repeated textures with unique textures in places... making adjustments to how the controls "feel"... it could really go on for an indefinite amount of time.

So as usual, we're at the wait and see stage..
adom11800

Postby ShenmueTree » Thu May 17, 2018 10:45 am

There are things I like about how it looks and things I don't. For one, I dislike Ryo's new face. I thought the January one was magnificent.

Shenhua looks great. She actually looks Chinese now, and her clothing has a lot more detail as well as her hair. That flower pin is awesome.

They've added some elementary facial animations, which might be contributing to my dislike of Ryo's face. It could just be that that specific facial expression makes him look all derpy. But the model has definitely been changed as well. I'm not exactly sure why though. It's kinda hilarious how there's at least 3 different models for Ryo in this clip.

Also about fucking time Shenhua smiled. :)
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Thu May 17, 2018 10:48 am

It's easier just to see it as the Alpha phase extending, which can mean additional development to tech, content, systems, etc.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: SheepheadCG
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby WildManofBorneo » Thu May 17, 2018 10:48 am

The new Shenhua model is spot on.
WildManofBorneo

Postby Peter » Thu May 17, 2018 10:57 am

The whole term of polish has a different meaning when using the agile development process. They could be polishing up specific elements that concern Choubu, but still need to work on aspects related to Bailu Village which may not even be at a "needs polish" stage. It's not a linear path, where all the work has been done and we are now approaching the polishing of a playable game. As Spaghetti said, it's still more or less pre alpha, and whilst this footage is relatively new in terms of public display, they are still keeping their cards close to their chest and not revealing what level of completion they are really at. Frustrating? Yes of course it is, but that's been standard with the development of this game. From a spoiler standpoint, and not wanting to see too much if this game until I play it, i have no complaints at all.

Peter has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Re: New Shenmue III pics from THQ Nordic financial presentat

Postby Valascaziel » Thu May 17, 2018 11:00 am

My old post maybe fell by the wayside--what is pre-alpha footage? Very early?
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Re: New Shenmue III pics from THQ Nordic financial presentat

Postby adom11800 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:05 am

Gotta give them credit for making the game the best it could be. Looking very positive that Shenmue III will be a success!
adom11800

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III