New Shenmue III pics from THQ Nordic financial presentation

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: New Shenmue III pics from THQ Nordic financial presentat

Postby Haruto » Tue May 22, 2018 11:22 pm

ShenmueHDYEAH wrote: Why can't they just make him look like this? Image

Eh this is rendered in 2005 and modern consoles are able to make better looking faces than this. 2005 the CGI looked good but now..eh this is lower budget JRPG levels or a NPC. The Shenmue III model has much better shaders,textures and such. It's an unfinished model but in every technical aspect the SIII model destroys this one.

Haruto has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby ShenmueHDYEAH » Wed May 23, 2018 3:49 am

Haruto wrote:
ShenmueHDYEAH wrote: Why can't they just make him look like this? Image

Eh this is rendered in 2005 and modern consoles are able to make better looking faces than this. 2005 the CGI looked good but now..eh this is lower budget JRPG levels or a NPC. The Shenmue III model has much better shaders,textures and such. It's an unfinished model but in every technical aspect the SIII model destroys this one.

It really doesn't. This is basically the next-gen model of the Dreamcast look and to be honest, I don't think it could look any better. Here's how Dreamcast Ryo looked like (side on view so you can see the similarities) Image
ShenmueHDYEAH
Banned
Banned

Postby MJMW » Wed May 23, 2018 4:09 am

I didn't stop to think that Ryo's change in expression might not be due to inconsistencies but is rather being used as a literary device to show his progression as a character. Throughout 1 and 2 we've always known him as this uptight figure intent on revenge and he's met numerous people along the way, including Xiuying, who have tried to show him the right path. Ultimately, I think Shenhua will play the biggest role in his transformation.

However, not everyone deserves to be forgiven.

I realise I've been rude and childish among other things and I apologise to the staff and members (some of them) and also to the dev team.

Nobody fucking looks at me like that! I may have been partly in the wrong but I'm not cowardly enough to attack people behind alt accounts and I certainly won't gang up on people.
Last edited by MJMW on Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:41 am, edited 7 times in total.
MJMW
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: FFXII

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 23, 2018 9:09 am

MJMW wrote: I didn't stop to think that Ryo's change in expression might not be due to inconsistencies but is rather being used as a literary device to show his progression as a character. Throughout 1 and 2 we've always known him as this uptight figure intent on revenge and he's met numerous people along the way, including Xiuying, who have tried to show him the right path. Ultimately, I think Shenhua will play the biggest role in his transformation.

(Anyway, this is off topic.)

No, you might be onto something there in one way or another. Maybe not explicitly done as a literary device, but Yu has put a big emphasis on deepening the capacity of expression in the characters compared to the original games, and I think that goes beyond just using modern technology.

The places that have seen the biggest revision since the Gamescom model are the eyes, mouth, and eyebrows. All expressive features on the face.

I don't think the subtle transition in and out of a smile in this gif -

- would be possible if Ryo's features still gave him the default >:( face.

Ryo's character probably will be changing in III to make him less uptight and singularly focused on revenge, but to express that properly some of his features may have needed softening.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenmueHDYEAH » Wed May 23, 2018 11:37 am

Spaghetti wrote:
MJMW wrote: I didn't stop to think that Ryo's change in expression might not be due to inconsistencies but is rather being used as a literary device to show his progression as a character. Throughout 1 and 2 we've always known him as this uptight figure intent on revenge and he's met numerous people along the way, including Xiuying, who have tried to show him the right path. Ultimately, I think Shenhua will play the biggest role in his transformation.

(Anyway, this is off topic.)

No, you might be onto something there in one way or another. Maybe not explicitly done as a literary device, but Yu has put a big emphasis on deepening the capacity of expression in the characters compared to the original games, and I think that goes beyond just using modern technology.

The places that have seen the biggest revision since the Gamescom model are the eyes, mouth, and eyebrows. All expressive features on the face.

I don't think the subtle transition in and out of a smile in this gif -

- would be possible if Ryo's features still gave him the default >:( face.

Ryo's character probably will be changing in III to make him less uptight and singularly focused on revenge, but to express that properly some of his features may have needed softening.

Is this the Ryo you were talking about, Haruto? If so, then the Shenmue Online version is 100x better. It's painfully obvious.
ShenmueHDYEAH
Banned
Banned

Postby KidMarine » Wed May 23, 2018 11:40 am

For fucks sake it clearly isn't finished yet, his jacket is about as detailed as the place holder model from the Gamecom trailer, totally unchanged. Why concentrate on the unfinished Ryo when we have a great looking Shenhua who is obviously much futher along?
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby ShenmueHDYEAH » Wed May 23, 2018 11:44 am

KidMarine wrote: For fucks sake it clearly isn't finished yet, his jacket is about as detailed as the place holder model from the Gamecom trailer, totally unchanged. Why concentrate on the unfinished Ryo when we have a great looking Shenhua who is obviously much futher along?

Apologies. Haruto said the Shenmue III Ryo model destroys the SO version in every aspect so I responded to say that isn't the case. No offense intended, Haruto! You're obviously free to have a preference of your own.
ShenmueHDYEAH
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 23, 2018 12:08 pm

I don't see the appeal on the Online model either tbh. Suffers from the same issues I think come with the Passport model. Features are just too harsh, and it doesn't always look as flattering as in the shot posted above either.

With the insults levied at the current models being they look like mid-2000s CG (a hyperbolic statement, obviously), I wonder what would happen if that actually was the case.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Jibby » Wed May 23, 2018 12:31 pm

It's no competition.

This:

is far better than this:

The Shenmue Online models are awful.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby ShenmueHDYEAH » Wed May 23, 2018 12:43 pm

Spaghetti wrote: I don't see the appeal on the Online model either tbh. Suffers from the same issues I think come with the Passport model. Features are just too harsh, and it doesn't always look as flattering as in the shot posted above either.

With the insults levied at the current models being they look like mid-2000s CG (a hyperbolic statement, obviously), I wonder what would happen if that actually was the case.

It looks perfectly like Ryo. I don't see what's wrong with it. And it also looks consistently amazing no matter what shot you see it from. Here are some examples: Image Image

Anyway, I don't see why they're trying to come up with new looks for Ryo when they could just copy and paste this one into Shenmue III. If they did this, even the E3 2015 trailer would have been spectacular to behold.
ShenmueHDYEAH
Banned
Banned

Postby dietsoap » Wed May 23, 2018 1:00 pm

Jibby wrote: It's no competition.

This:

is far better than this:

To be fair that is like the worst possible frame you could've chosen for the SO model.
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby ShenmueHDYEAH » Wed May 23, 2018 1:05 pm

Jibby wrote: It's no competition.

This:

is far better than this:

I agrea that the Shenmue Online models were generally awful, but Ryo's model was an anomaly among them (with the exception of joy, though I have mixed feelings about that one). Shenhua, Ren, Lan Di, Xiuying etc yes, they all looked quite bad. But for some reason, they NAILED Ryo Hazuki. It's quite shocking and pleasing at the same time that they accomplished such a feat.
ShenmueHDYEAH
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 23, 2018 1:20 pm

ShenmueHDYEAH wrote:It looks perfectly like Ryo. I don't see what's wrong with it. And it also looks consistently amazing no matter what shot you see it from. Here are some examples: Image Image

Anyway, I don't see why they're trying to come up with new looks for Ryo when they could just copy and paste this one into Shenmue III. If they did this, even the E3 2015 trailer would have been spectacular to behold.

"And it also looks consistently amazing no matter what shot you see it from"

*posts two shots from the same angle a few seconds apart*

Although unflattering, the shot Jibby posted does highlight the issue with that CG model. Could be argued it was the harsh lighting, but in the very quick cut where Ryo scales the stairs you get another look from the front and it suffers the same issues even in dimmer, more flattering lighting. Same when Ryo charges his fireball.

Looks fine from the side but as soon as you start creeping round to the front the harsh, narrow look of that model hits hard. His face just scrunches up.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenmueHDYEAH » Wed May 23, 2018 1:32 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
ShenmueHDYEAH wrote:It looks perfectly like Ryo. I don't see what's wrong with it. And it also looks consistently amazing no matter what shot you see it from. Here are some examples: Image Image

"And it also looks consistently amazing no matter what shot you see it from"

*posts two shots from the same angle a few seconds apart*

Although unflattering, the shot Jibby posted does highlight the issue with that CG model. Could be argued it was the harsh lighting, but in the very quick cut where Ryo scales the stairs you get another look from the front and it suffers the same issues even in dimmer, more flattering lighting. Same when Ryo charges his fireball.

Looks fine from the side but as soon as you start creeping round to the front the harsh, narrow look of that model hits hard. His face just scrunches up.

It was the lighting but even in the shot that Jibby posted, he still looks great. You just need to ask two questions when it comes to the character model of Ryo. 1) How badass/cool does he look (which may sound weird, but it fits with the rest of Ryo's features. E.g. the spiky hair, his clothing)? 2) Does he look Ryo-like?

Now when I see the Shenmue III Ryo, it does not give the impression that he is a fighter/martial artist. To be honest, he looks more like a tourist (with Shenhua being his tour guide!).
ShenmueHDYEAH
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 23, 2018 2:37 pm

ShenmueHDYEAH wrote:It was the lighting but even in the shot that Jibby posted, he still looks great. You just need to ask two questions when it comes to the character model of Ryo. 1) How badass/cool does he look (which may sound weird, but it fits with the rest of Ryo's features. E.g. the spiky hair, his clothing)? 2) Does he look Ryo-like?

Now when I see the Shenmue III Ryo, it does not give the impression that he is a fighter/martial artist. To be honest, he looks more like a tourist (with Shenhua being his tour guide!).

But it has the same problem even in different lighting conditions, that part was exactly in my post.

See:

Same scrunchface as in Jibby's shot. Really highlights how unusually narrow his face is too, now that it comes to it.

I don't really get the rest of your criteria. It's a bit funny calling him a tourist when he basically is and one of the core pillars of the story is Ryo exploring a foreign land. Same with the fighter part, Ryo isn't meant to be intimidating and that's 99% of why so many street punks think they can take him.

--------------

Anyway, sort of back on topic, I had a shot working on the image Jibby posted above (trying to prove the theory a few tweaks really tie the model together):

Apart from the minor proportional changes, I'm starting to think that little bit of contouring on Ryo's cheek makes a nice difference, and helps break up that cheekbone/jaw space that makes his head look a little too big for his face.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: BlueMue
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III