KS Update #82: Shenhua finds her voice! JP VO begins.

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: KS Update #82: Shenhua finds her voice! JP VO begins.

Postby johnjohnbrem » Thu May 24, 2018 10:47 am

Centrale wrote: Hmm, an interesting update. However, I have to say, they've got Masaya Matsukaze's face all wrong. It's simply not what I envision when I think of Masaya Matsukaze working in a recording studio. I've taken the liberty of making big improvements upon the work of whoever designed him. I think everyone will agree - particularly everyone who hangs out in the depths of Youtube comments sections, the 'GAF crowd, and other prestigious comments fields across the internet - that what I'm presenting is the definitive headshot of Masaya Matsukaze.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
i agree! he looks too cartoonish! I prefer the Shenmue Online era Matsukaze

johnjohnbrem has received 2 thanks from: Spaghetti, Supa
johnjohnbrem
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: PUBG

Postby The_Intruder » Thu May 24, 2018 11:37 am

Im so happy voice recording started im really hoping to see a nice tráiler in gamescom. Cant wait to see how the forest will look like this time i bet the scenery will be breathtaking.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby ShenGCH » Thu May 24, 2018 12:31 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: Great news.

(someone on Resetara managed to turn this into a bad thing somehow.)

ResetEra could make the cure for cancer sound bad because it isn't the cure for AIDs.

Nice, unexpected update!
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Thu May 24, 2018 1:19 pm

I knew the "M--" file naming convention on the screen reminded me of something...

From Ryuji Iuchi's blog, last May. Curious.

Spaghetti has received 4 thanks from: Jibby, KidMarine, SheepheadCG, Switch
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spaghetti » Thu May 24, 2018 2:01 pm

Credit to mjqjazzbar for finding this out, but the Sound Director in the image is Takayuki Nakamura who has been working in sound on video games for nearly 30 years; including AM2 titles like Virtua Fighter/Virtua Fighter 2, and Daytona USA.

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/takayuki-nakamura/credits/developerId,78235/

Spaghetti has received 8 thanks from: Abraham_1, Amir, KidMarine, Kiske, mjq jazz bar, Supa, Switch, VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu May 24, 2018 7:55 pm

Seems like good news to me!

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Lan Di-sama » Thu May 24, 2018 9:34 pm

Nice update. I'm all for seeing the Shenmue II ending scene recreated, but I think a really cool way to handle it would be to make it the 'prologue' sequence that plays before the Start screen appears with Shenhua's recitation of the destiny poem as a voiceover (or just recreate the scene entirely, with Shenhua reciting the poem aloud after the mirrors are illuminated). The first two games' prologue sequences were variations of Shenhua in Guilin while you hear her voice read the poem, and I think the 3rd game should feature something similar.

Side note - I hope they ditch the short haired version of Shenhua and bring her long braids back. I do think the new facial model is really reassuring.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sappharad » Thu May 24, 2018 11:46 pm

Jibby wrote:
Peter wrote:Why? We are getting HD releases. People will have seen the ending.

I keep forgetting this. There won't be any excuse now for people not playing the first 2 games before III.

I hope that let's the team be a bit more abstract and do things like start right where II left off in the cave.

Until we hear otherwise, it doubt the re-releases affected their plans for the start of the game. Aside from the beginning of the first game, just starting in the cave doesn't really fit with the introductions from the previous games and I'm expecting they'll do something consistent from that standpoint. We'll definitely see the cave scene again based on what they have shown so far, but very beginning? I doubt that unless they change the flow or start outside.

Consider these:
1. Shenmue 1 - Start of Disc 2 - Scene introduces the harbor area, panning around and showing stuff and Ryo getting there.
2. Shenmue 2 - Intro - Scene shows the boat arriving, a few areas of Hong Kong, and Ryo getting there.
3. Shenmue 2 - Disc 3 - Beginning of the chapter introduces Kowloon, Pans around and shows Ryo getting there.
4. Shenmue 2 - Disc 4 - Beginning of the chapter introduces Guilin, pans around the environment, has some flashbacks and shows Ryo getting there.

You could say the same about Beverly Hills Wharf as well, since they show that too in a cutscene when Ryo's on Wong's boat, but that's not really the start of a new portion of the story. Either way, they always seemed to have a cutscene to introduce every major new area, so there's probably going to be a similar one when you finally reach Bailu, where they pan around the village and probably show people working and kids playing.

On the other hand, where the story leaves off doesn't really give them a good opportunity to do one of those cutscenes that pans around and introduces the area. I don't think the cave is going to be a major area that you can revisit at will, it was pretty linear. Just from a story standpoint, I can't think of a way they could make it flow well after the cave scene if that's where it would begin, because what could happen afterwards might not flow well unless they fade out and skip time. Would they really have an intro that shows Ryo and Shenhua grabbing their things and walking out of the cave? That just seems a bit long for the very beginning.

The scene after the cave from the August 2017 trailer (as seen in one of the photos from today) where they show the game title logo seems like it could be exactly where they show the title in the finished product. I'm guessing that is where we'll see the usual camera pans around that area and it introduces Bailu Village. But that leaves the question of where the cave scene fits in, since we were initially told that the game starts the morning after the cave scene.

They promised a recap, and I don't think they'll change those plans because they had one in 2 as well. Is it possible that in addition to a separate recap, when you start Shenmue 3 it has a shorter one which at the end fades into a recreation of the Shenmue 2 ending, followed by fadeout, followed by "The next day 8:00 AM". Then the game begins with Ryo and Shenhua leaving her house and heading for Bailu, talking, and when they reach the area mentioned above you see the logo and it pans around the village. (Presumably, the re-created cave would be used again later to look for evidence of what happened to Shenhua's father, which is why they could flashback to it and not have re-created it for no reason.)

Anyone else want to propose their own idea for a beginning?
tl;dr - I just can't see the cave scene working as a good opening, that's all.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby sand4fish » Fri May 25, 2018 1:56 am

Sappharad wrote: Anyone else want to propose their own idea for a beginning?

The game could start with Ryo having a dream in a similar fashion to the one he had about Shenhua in the first game, about the cave and its revelations... and when he wakes up, he finds himself in Shenhua's house. Looking around the place and not seeing Shenhua anywhere, he walks out the door and heads down a hill where the camera will zoom out and present Bailu Village in its full glory.

Or if I had my way, I would have the game start with something like that Ryo and Shenhua's shot looking at each other and the Seven Stars Sword behind them. As Ryo closes himself to the giant mirrors for a further inspection, he hears a scream from behind. When he turns around, he sees Chai with his arms around Shenhua's neck (the guy has been stalking Ryo since Kowloon but this time being more careful and just informing Lan Di's goons of any news instead of facing Ryo one-on-one) and beside them, another four figures: Shenhua's father and two black suit lackeys holding him down, and Niao Sun, letting out a laugh that reverberates heavily around the cave. Somehow the father frees himself from the hold and with the brief distraction, Ryo seizes that opportunity to save Shenhua from Chai's grasp. A major fight breaks out between the parties (gameplay could start right here), with Shenhua's father ending up fatally wounded in the process. After watching that scene in front of her own eyes, Shenhua lets out a loud scream to which emotions the Seven Star Sword begins resonating strongly to by letting out a strong bright light and major tremors starts happening inside the cave. Suddenly boulders fall from above, separating Ryo and Shenhua's father path from the rest. As Shenhua falls unconscious the tremors stop, and Niao Sun's party finds no other choice but to take her captive and leave the cave. Meanwhile Ryo goes to the dying father's side, and at that moment the father utters some of the Mirrors' secrets to Ryo. He also ushers Ryo to take the sword with him, as it will lead the way to Shenhua's whereabouts. And finally before succumbing to death, the old man spoke words similar to those Iwao left Ryo with as if the past was repeating itself once again, to which leaves Ryo emotionally distraught. As Ryo comes to his senses, he starts looking for another exit to which he finds eventually, only to have a misstep and fall off a cliff, ending up in the bottom of a river. Then the game starts again the next morning with Ryo waking up in a stranger's home somewhere in Bailu Village.

sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Abraham_1 » Fri May 25, 2018 4:49 am

Sappharad wrote:
Jibby wrote:
Peter wrote:Why? We are getting HD releases. People will have seen the ending.

I keep forgetting this. There won't be any excuse now for people not playing the first 2 games before III.

I hope that let's the team be a bit more abstract and do things like start right where II left off in the cave.

Until we hear otherwise, it doubt the re-releases affected their plans for the start of the game. Aside from the beginning of the first game, just starting in the cave doesn't really fit with the introductions from the previous games and I'm expecting they'll do something consistent from that standpoint. We'll definitely see the cave scene again based on what they have shown so far, but very beginning? I doubt that unless they change the flow or start outside.

Consider these:
1. Shenmue 1 - Start of Disc 2 - Scene introduces the harbor area, panning around and showing stuff and Ryo getting there.
2. Shenmue 2 - Intro - Scene shows the boat arriving, a few areas of Hong Kong, and Ryo getting there.
3. Shenmue 2 - Disc 3 - Beginning of the chapter introduces Kowloon, Pans around and shows Ryo getting there.
4. Shenmue 2 - Disc 4 - Beginning of the chapter introduces Guilin, pans around the environment, has some flashbacks and shows Ryo getting there.

You could say the same about Beverly Hills Wharf as well, since they show that too in a cutscene when Ryo's on Wong's boat, but that's not really the start of a new portion of the story. Either way, they always seemed to have a cutscene to introduce every major new area, so there's probably going to be a similar one when you finally reach Bailu, where they pan around the village and probably show people working and kids playing.

On the other hand, where the story leaves off doesn't really give them a good opportunity to do one of those cutscenes that pans around and introduces the area. I don't think the cave is going to be a major area that you can revisit at will, it was pretty linear. Just from a story standpoint, I can't think of a way they could make it flow well after the cave scene if that's where it would begin, because what could happen afterwards might not flow well unless they fade out and skip time. Would they really have an intro that shows Ryo and Shenhua grabbing their things and walking out of the cave? That just seems a bit long for the very beginning.

The scene after the cave from the August 2017 trailer (as seen in one of the photos from today) where they show the game title logo seems like it could be exactly where they show the title in the finished product. I'm guessing that is where we'll see the usual camera pans around that area and it introduces Bailu Village. But that leaves the question of where the cave scene fits in, since we were initially told that the game starts the morning after the cave scene.

They promised a recap, and I don't think they'll change those plans because they had one in 2 as well. Is it possible that in addition to a separate recap, when you start Shenmue 3 it has a shorter one which at the end fades into a recreation of the Shenmue 2 ending, followed by fadeout, followed by "The next day 8:00 AM". Then the game begins with Ryo and Shenhua leaving her house and heading for Bailu, talking, and when they reach the area mentioned above you see the logo and it pans around the village. (Presumably, the re-created cave would be used again later to look for evidence of what happened to Shenhua's father, which is why they could flashback to it and not have re-created it for no reason.)

Anyone else want to propose their own idea for a beginning?

If, as you claim, the HD rereleases won’t affect how they start the game, then I actually doubt they will start with a pan of the new environment. At least, not until after the cave scene. You’re forgetting how close Shenmue 2 released to 1 compared to what we have with 3; Shenmue 2 had the privilege of being able to start the way it did because a lot of people had played or remembered 1. There was also, of course, the DVD for Xbox.

Whilst Shenmue 3 will have flashback scenes, they need to remind people of the ending of 2 and I don’t see them starting elsewhere. Besides, they showed the cave a lot in the trailer; they wouldn’t go through the effort of creating that environment on unreal tech if they weren’t going to use it.
Abraham_1
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: THEBIGFATDUDE
Nintendo FC: abraham_b123
Steam: Abraham_B
Currently playing: Danganronpa V3

Postby Spaghetti » Fri May 25, 2018 8:31 am

Personally I have no beef with the game possibly starting in the cave. I think it's a big nod to the fans by picking up literally where they left off, and it's hardly like people unfamiliar with the ending to II will toss the game out the window because they don't understand the context of what will literally just be the first few minutes of the game.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: Reprise, VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenmueTree » Fri May 25, 2018 1:27 pm

I mean if the game starts where II ended, literally all Ryo or Shenhua have to say is something to the affect of "Huh, what is this? I've never seen anything like it. Is it a trick or magic?" And boom, new players are caught up. Since it will explain that that scene is very surprising and not something common in the previous games.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Hazuki00 » Fri May 25, 2018 1:33 pm

For me it's more important how is possible Ryo is the one that the poem mentions, how do Shenhua and Ryo are bond to destiny?
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby KidMarine » Fri May 25, 2018 1:52 pm

Hazuki00 wrote: For me it's more important how is possible Ryo is the one that the poem mentions, how do Shenhua and Ryo are bond to destiny?

I think if you're looking for a realistic explanation for the mysticism in the series you're going to be disappointed, they ain't gonna explain shit (and shouldn't IMO, it's mysticism, not science).

KidMarine has received 2 thanks from: Hazuki00, VukBZ2005
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Giovanni18 » Fri May 25, 2018 2:12 pm

Hazuki00 wrote: For me it's more important how is possible Ryo is the one that the poem mentions, how do Shenhua and Ryo are bond to destiny?

Magic. That is really the only answer.

Giovanni18 has received a thanks from: Hazuki00
Giovanni18
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III