KS Update #82: Shenhua finds her voice! JP VO begins.

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: KS Update #82: Shenhua finds her voice! JP VO begins.

Postby BlueMue » Thu May 24, 2018 6:10 am

Well we already saw the large mirrors with the lit torches so it makes sense to see that device as it makes the fire.
No matter if it's replayable or just in a flashback, it is a very important moment since the phoenix mirror goes in there and everything. But I like the idea of Ryo taking the mirror back out. I mean that has to happen somehow.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby johnvivant » Thu May 24, 2018 6:18 am

if the game starts with a recreation of the final scene of s2, most new players will be like WTF. its better to have it as a flashback scene at Shenhua's house, where Ryo and Shenhua can discuss all the events up to that point, therefore bringing new players up to date.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Thu May 24, 2018 6:38 am

johnvivant wrote: if the game starts with a recreation of the final scene of s2, most new players will be like WTF. its better to have it as a flashback scene at Shenhua's house, where Ryo and Shenhua can discuss all the events up to that point, therefore bringing new players up to date.

Why? We are getting HD releases. People will have seen the ending.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Jibby » Thu May 24, 2018 7:23 am

Peter wrote:Why? We are getting HD releases. People will have seen the ending.

I keep forgetting this. There won't be any excuse now for people not playing the first 2 games before III.

I hope that let's the team be a bit more abstract and do things like start right where II left off in the cave.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Valascaziel » Thu May 24, 2018 7:25 am

A welcome update, as I was beginning to wonder about the VOs considering the delay to an unspecified 2019 date.

I also think this update seems far more substantial and professional than most updates, so maybe Deep Silver is starting their marketing help. This, to me, goes a long way about stopping the "z0mg the prOjecT is dooMed or In TrOuble" stuff.

I hope we get some recent build screens around E3, as that will be a big positive along with this to help offset the sour taste of a delay, even one we all saw coming.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Thu May 24, 2018 7:30 am

Jibby wrote:I hope that let's the team be a bit more abstract and do things like start right where II left off in the cave.

This may be the case.

In the group shot, the dragon mirror in the cave can be seen, and in the top right is the number of the cutscene playing (maybe how it's listed in the game directory). It's listed as M02, which would imply it being the second cutscene, but if there's a prologue cutscene when you leave the game idle at the start screen like the first two games, this could be the first cutscene you get actually playing.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spaghetti » Thu May 24, 2018 7:32 am

Valascaziel wrote:I hope we get some recent build screens around E3, as that will be a big positive along with this to help offset the sour taste of a delay, even one we all saw coming.

I wouldn't bank on this happening. It's not impossible, but everything might be loaded towards later in the year now for a bigger splash.

A few screens at E3 would be just a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the news breaking at the event.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby KidMarine » Thu May 24, 2018 7:49 am

Nice update! Proffesional, informative, no spelling errors that I noticed. Hopefully this is the beginning of the Deep Silver era.

KidMarine has received 2 thanks from: punkmanced, Spaghetti
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Switch » Thu May 24, 2018 8:05 am

Haruka Terui sounds very Shenhua-like in this narration sample.
phpBB [video]

Switch has received 6 thanks from: James Brown, Jibby, Reprise, ShenmueTree, SledgeNE, Spaghetti
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Abraham_1 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:11 am

Has anyone Japanese, or with the ability to speak Japanese, heard of Terui or any of her work before? Is she well known in Japanese voice acting circles? I don’t think so and I believe that to actually be a good thing.

I’m curious as to how much funding is going towards VO. Whilst I think voice acting is important, I’d hope it’s not too expensive and, especially with Shenmue, cheap voice acting is something we can live with over lower funding towards gameplay or design.

Although I’d play the game with English VO, I still believe that this update on Japanese VO could be a reflection of the amount of funds going towards VO in total.
Abraham_1
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: THEBIGFATDUDE
Nintendo FC: abraham_b123
Steam: Abraham_B
Currently playing: Danganronpa V3

Postby Jibby » Thu May 24, 2018 8:21 am

Switch wrote: Haruka Terui sounds very Shenhua-like in this narration sample.
phpBB [video]

Wow! She sounds perfect for the job.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Supa » Thu May 24, 2018 8:52 am

Jibby wrote:
Peter wrote:Why? We are getting HD releases. People will have seen the ending.

I keep forgetting this. There won't be any excuse now for people not playing the first 2 games before III.

I hope that let's the team be a bit more abstract and do things like start right where II left off in the cave.

Presumably, we are also still getting the "cinematic shorts" of I & II, as that was one of the first Kickstarter stretch goals. Something like II's digest movie of I, or like the Yakuza games do would work great.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby adom11800 » Thu May 24, 2018 9:14 am

Such a good, exiting and happy update! It reminded me of the good ol' days of getting home from work to be surprised with a Shenmue update. I feel Haruka will do a great job as Shenhua, seems like they picked a good one there. Always loved Ryo's Japanese voice so can't wait to his voice as Ryo again. Those pictures in the background look beautiful!

Man, Shenmue 3 is looking to be good. I wonder when we'll finally see gameplay?

But yeah a very good update. Felt the whole Shenmue magic after awhile.

adom11800 has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Centrale » Thu May 24, 2018 9:29 am

Hmm, an interesting update. However, I have to say, they've got Masaya Matsukaze's face all wrong. It's simply not what I envision when I think of Masaya Matsukaze working in a recording studio. I've taken the liberty of making big improvements upon the work of whoever designed him. I think everyone will agree - particularly everyone who hangs out in the depths of Youtube comments sections, the 'GAF crowd, and other prestigious comments fields across the internet - that what I'm presenting is the definitive headshot of Masaya Matsukaze.

Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu May 24, 2018 9:58 am

Great news.

(someone on Resetara managed to turn this into a bad thing somehow.)
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III