Shenmue 3 May See Xbox 1 Release

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Shenmue 3 May See Xbox 1 Release

Postby Contristo » Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:13 pm

Source: GameSpot

"TOKYO--Microsoft Japan's new Xbox division chief Yoshihiro Maruyama says that his company's next generation machine, casually referred to by media outlets as the Xbox Next, will not see its shadow until 2006. Maruyama's comments support statements made by Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer last year, when he told the Nikkei Journal that the console will be released no sooner than 2006 in Japan. But whether the Xbox Next will be out before or after Sony's next generation machine is not decided, according to an interview with Maruyama contained in the current issue of Famitsu.

"I hope that we can release the machine in the near future, but it won't be next year," commented Maruyama, who joined Microsoft last September after being hired away from Square Enix. "Considering that the PlayStation 2 is entering its fifth year and that its game lineup is in its prime, we're estimating that the successor to that console will be released after 2006. Whether we'll release the successor of the Xbox before the PS2's needs to be decided carefully. It has strong pros and cons."

One of the issues surrounding the original Xbox was the fact it was was considerably larger than other game consoles in the market. Rumors have been floating the Xbox Next will be considerably smaller and possibly uses notebook PC components.

While Maruyama did not comment on specifics, he confirmed that the Xbox Next will indeed be smaller than the current Xbox. "In terms of hardware, we get a lot of requests asking us to reduce the console's size. Actually, I was thinking so myself before coming to Microsoft. We promise that we'll make the new console smaller," Maruyama said.

As for the Xbox's disappointing sales in Japan, Maruyama commented that one of the reasons is there is no RPG--the most popular genre in Japan--for the console that suits Japanese tastes. Admitting that it can’t get a major third-party publisher to develop an RPG due to Xbox's comparitively paltry installed base, Maruyama is hoping that Microsoft's own entry into the genre, the MMORPG True Fantasy Live Online, will provide a spike in sales.

Maruyama also addressed overall differences between the Japanese and the U.S. markets. He commented on how game sales in the U.S. are more stable, particularly in the sports genre. “In the case of America, they have sport games as the base of their retail offfering. Sports games sell steadily through out the year, with each sport having its peak sales period. Their business is about incremental sales of other genres on top of that. But Japan doesn’t have that base, so if one title gets delayed, that year’s sales can be quite severely affected,” Maruyama said. “In a sense, the market in Japan is unique, and the users tend to drift towards games that are new or stimulating. It’s a serious issue for developers: how to come up with the next new thing, since the peak sales period for any one title is short.”"
Contristo
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Re: Shenmue 3 May See Xbox 1 Release

Postby Gutcruncher » Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:01 pm

JinSuzuki wrote:Source: GameSpot
“In a sense, the market in Japan is unique, and the users tend to drift towards games that are new or stimulating. It’s a serious issue for developers: how to come up with the next new thing, since the peak sales period for any one title is short.”"

thats sad how in america most people fear new kinds of games. if they didnt, then maybe we wouldnt have football game after football game flooding the market and get some more new stuff
Gutcruncher
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby LionheartUK » Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:07 pm

"Shenmue 3 May See Xbox 1 Release"

another topic title that will get peoples hopes up.
Seriously what the fuck has that got to do with shenmue3.
LionheartUK
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Ryo's Room » Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:17 pm

Yeah, I was fooled. Thought there was some actual news on S3. Damn. :?
Ryo's Room
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:23 pm

These kinda posts are far from annoying and old.....it's much greater feelings than that.

*sigh*
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Snoopbob2006 » Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:24 pm

well thats what I was fucking hoping...
Snoopbob2006
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Snoopbob2005
XBL: Snoopbob2005

Re: Shenmue 3 May See Xbox 1 Release

Postby Yama » Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:33 pm

Gutcruncher wrote:
JinSuzuki wrote:Source: GameSpot
“In a sense, the market in Japan is unique, and the users tend to drift towards games that are new or stimulating. It’s a serious issue for developers: how to come up with the next new thing, since the peak sales period for any one title is short.”"

thats sad how in america most people fear new kinds of games. if they didnt, then maybe we wouldnt have football game after football game flooding the market and get some more new stuff

Yeah really, that's why Dreamcast didn't dominate, all of it's unique games and devices, that of course true gamers respet and love. It also sucks we never got any date sims here or Roomania games, so many things that don't get translated due to low sales... I wish I knew Japanese so I could Import them all.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Brothaman » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:20 pm

This really X-box 2/X-box Next news, and it should be in the Xbox forums.
Brothaman
Purple Reign
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:38 am

yea, the topic title makes it seem like there's Shenmue III news in the article, but it doesn't have anything to do with Shenmue III :(
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby Miles Prower » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:48 am

Yeah, could we stop with the misleading topic titles? -_-
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Silas » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:33 am

phill54 wrote:"Shenmue 3 May See Xbox 1 Release"

another topic title that will get peoples hopes up.
Seriously what the fuck has that got to do with shenmue3.
Another topic title that mentions my birthday. ;)

Honestly, the thread topic title sucks ass, but I was pleased to notice that basically what I always thought was confirmed - it'll be a long time before XBox2 makes its appearance. Also it was insightful about the lack of RPGs that Japanese like (ie they don't like KOTOR or Morrowind) Maybe Japanese XBox sales will pick up with Fable and Jade Empire? Then we might well get a Shenmue IIx release in Japan, which would only be a good thing.

I tell you, if they ever do release Shenmue IIx in Japan, Shenmue III is a mortal lock.
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby reporter » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:55 pm

I'm making the call-

If ShenmueIII is going to be made then the earliest will be christmas 2006.
reporter
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby jinsaotomex3 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:35 pm

well I was reading around the net of gamespot and they had an interview with someone (once i go back to check i will edit this post) from the Japanese Branch of M$ saying that Xbox Next will come out in 2k6 and that they do not know if it will be comming out before or after the new sony console which I'm guessing is comming out at the same time.
jinsaotomex3
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Silas » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:56 am

Er, yes, jinsaoto, read the first post.
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Lan Di-sama » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:31 pm

I wasn't mislead...I know by now that if Shenmue III was even mentioned in this news article it would be most likely fake.

But this is indeed great news. THat gives more time for shenmue 3 to be released, and I'm really hoping that it will be on xbox. Hopefully I can get one for my birthday.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Return to Shenmue III