Shenmue HD announced for PS4 / XBOX ONE / PC

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Shenmue HD announced for PS4 / XBOX ONE / PC

Postby OL » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:17 am

ShenBlue92 wrote: I’m not into developing , I know almost nothing about it, but do you guys think it would be possible for them to apply some sort of graphic filter? Something like 2-3 types of filter we can select + the original look.
I’m saying this because I can see that a lot of pixels are still very low quality, and maybe Playing with filtering and a new light system might help.

I don’t know, but I’m thinking about Life is Strange, which isn’t impressive when it comes to details and graphics, but it has that “wallpainting” kind of filter that improves the visuals a lot


Typically a filter doesn't actually improve anything, so much as just alter it in some way. Shenmue 2X had a variety of filters already; black and white, sepia, that kind of thing. I haven't seen this Life is Strange one, so I'm not sure how that affects things, but I will say that if the textures look low quality in Shenmue HD, it's simply because that's how the uncompressed textures were to begin with, and no amount of upscaling or filtering is necessarily going to make things better.
Probably the only way to change something like that would be to go back into the texture files and "redraw" them, so to speak, to make them sharper. Much more difficult than a filter, unfortunately. I think a bit of that was done with the FFXII remaster, but I'm not sure if it's really fair to expect that kind of work out of a Shenmue remaster versus a Final Fantasy one.
User avatar
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III
 
Joined: May 2003

Re: Shenmue HD announced for PS4 / XBOX ONE / PC

Postby shredingskin » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:40 am

Typically a filter doesn't actually improve anything, so much as just alter it in some way. Shenmue 2X had a variety of filters already; black and white, sepia, that kind of thing. I haven't seen this Life is Strange one, so I'm not sure how that affects things, but I will say that if the textures look low quality in Shenmue HD, it's simply because that's how the uncompressed textures were to begin with, and no amount of upscaling or filtering is necessarily going to make things better.
Probably the only way to change something like that would be to go back into the texture files and "redraw" them, so to speak, to make them sharper. Much more difficult than a filter, unfortunately. I think a bit of that was done with the FFXII remaster, but I'm not sure if it's really fair to expect that kind of work out of a Shenmue remaster versus a Final Fantasy one.


No, there are a lot of post processing effects that can alter a lot how the game looks, there are a ton of games that offer "retrofilters" to pixelate the game:
Image
Image
These are screenspace, so they can be very expensive and look very off depending on the scene, but it's very possible.

But I don't think any of these will benefit Shenmue, the best will probably replace some of the textures that are low resolution and tileable and use heavy use of anisotropic filtering and good AA (maybe some DOF), some of the grounds look very bad (sadly guilin looks like a garbled mess in some parts).
User avatar
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: March 2012
Location: Argentina
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Re: Shenmue HD announced for PS4 / XBOX ONE / PC

Postby BlueMue » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:16 am

Shenmue always had a very sharp look to it and that's part of its identity so I wouldn't overdo it with filtering.

Of course these things are always an option and the Xbox version already had some, even though they were only about the color and pretty much worthless. A bit more anti aliasing and maybe some proper mipmaps with good anisotrope filtering is already enough to clean up the look. Hope these are possible on all platforms, the former sure is on PC.
User avatar
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: August 2008
Location: Germany
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Shenmue HD announced for PS4 / XBOX ONE / PC

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:01 pm

I'm hyped. Shenmue II with less loading time will be glorious.
User avatar
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: July 2008

Re: Shenmue HD announced for PS4 / XBOX ONE / PC

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:23 am

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: I'm hyped. Shenmue II with less loading time will be glorious.


Indeed, I am thinking the PC version on a solid state hard drive is going to force me to change out pants
User avatar
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III
 
Joined: April 2003

Re: Shenmue HD announced for PS4 / XBOX ONE / PC

Postby Kiske » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:05 am

Phantom River Stone just posted a tweet about "a livestream from Sega Japan starting at 12:30pm BST, recapping the recent SEGA FES event. It promises the latest info on Shenmue I & II and others."

https://twitter.com/phantom_river/statu ... 4616079360

phpBB [video]

Kiske has received a thanks from: myshtuff
User avatar
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster
 
Joined: August 2015
Location: Switzerland
PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Shenmue HD announced for PS4 / XBOX ONE / PC

Postby Kyo_JP » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:21 am

Kiske wrote: Phantom River Stone just posted a tweet about "a livestream from Sega Japan starting at 12:30pm BST, recapping the recent SEGA FES event. It promises the latest info on Shenmue I & II and others."

https://twitter.com/phantom_river/statu ... 4616079360

phpBB [video]


It is like if they filled a "Nintendo Direct" kind of idea with low budget japanese comical sketches. It is the weirdest thing I have ever saw.
Kyo_JP
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative
 
Joined: June 2015

Re: Shenmue HD announced for PS4 / XBOX ONE / PC

Postby Andykara2003 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:02 pm

I can't help thinking there's a kind of retro charm in playing these on a Dreamcast with a good 4:3 CRT. Not to everyone's taste though and I can see appreciate that. Nostalgia is also a factor of course..
Andykara2003
Fuku-san
Fuku-san
 
Joined: July 2016

Re: Shenmue HD announced for PS4 / XBOX ONE / PC

Postby Niowiad » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:01 pm

Andykara2003 wrote: I can't help thinking there's a kind of retro charm in playing these on a Dreamcast with a good 4:3 CRT. Not to everyone's taste though and I can see appreciate that. Nostalgia is also a factor of course..

Well I think that's normal. I'd also play any old game on its original system if it wasn't that impractical :-k

Especially the 8bit and 16bit era videogames :)
User avatar
Niowiad
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades
 
Joined: May 2017
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Shenmue HD announced for PS4 / XBOX ONE / PC

Postby SledgeNE » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:23 am

I was VERY surprised about the release-date. I like that. And that the Mini-Games and Coke-Drinks are still in, that's very cool. After Shenmue II i never replayed a Shenmue-Game. It's good to replay it again and listen to Corey Marshall's Voice again. I watch the Movie-Version of Shenmue I from the XBox Copy and i try to think how the gameplay will be look and work in UE4. Man, this will be awesome to see. 8)
User avatar
SledgeNE
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades
 
Joined: October 2013
Location: Germany
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Re: Shenmue HD announced for PS4 / XBOX ONE / PC

Postby darksniper » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:32 am

OL wrote:
ShenBlue92 wrote: I’m not into developing , I know almost nothing about it, but do you guys think it would be possible for them to apply some sort of graphic filter? Something like 2-3 types of filter we can select + the original look.
I’m saying this because I can see that a lot of pixels are still very low quality, and maybe Playing with filtering and a new light system might help.

I don’t know, but I’m thinking about Life is Strange, which isn’t impressive when it comes to details and graphics, but it has that “wallpainting” kind of filter that improves the visuals a lot


Typically a filter doesn't actually improve anything, so much as just alter it in some way. Shenmue 2X had a variety of filters already; black and white, sepia, that kind of thing. I haven't seen this Life is Strange one, so I'm not sure how that affects things, but I will say that if the textures look low quality in Shenmue HD, it's simply because that's how the uncompressed textures were to begin with, and no amount of upscaling or filtering is necessarily going to make things better.
Probably the only way to change something like that would be to go back into the texture files and "redraw" them, so to speak, to make them sharper. Much more difficult than a filter, unfortunately. I think a bit of that was done with the FFXII remaster, but I'm not sure if it's really fair to expect that kind of work out of a Shenmue remaster versus a Final Fantasy one.



Life Is Strange is one of the most unique experiences I've played in a while. Out of all games that's released since Shenmue came out, this is the game that reminds me of it the most. Especially in terms of being able to interact to nearly everything in the room. Outside of the cheesy emo dialogue, it definitely has its charm to it in the way that it has an underlying mystique in the storytelling. I think Shenmue III is going to have a very similar pace and cadence to LiS with a more combat centric gameplay.
User avatar
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: February 2010

Re: Shenmue HD announced for PS4 / XBOX ONE / PC

Postby csmakio » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:49 am

those steam achievements though XD
User avatar
csmakio
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
 
Joined: March 2005
Location: Chicago, USA
Steam: csmakio
Favorite title: Shenmue

Previous

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000-
ShenmueDojo.net