Shenmue HD announced for PS4 / XBOX ONE / PC

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Shenmue HD announced for PS4 / XBOX ONE / PC

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:01 am

I just involuntarily turned into a super-speed amalgamation of every Rocky training montage upon reading this announcement.

FUCK YEAH :D!
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:05 am

It happened man, I'm just all over the place right now... unbelievable

FlagshipFighter has received a thanks from: Jibby
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby OL » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:07 am

Ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod, that obvious re-release we all wanted of those games we've already played a thousand times before is actually happening! I can't believe it, no matter how obviously eventual its announcement was!

I keed, I keed.

Still, not entirely sure what's so shocking about it. Seemed to me that it was going to happen sooner or later.
But yeah, I'll no doubt be getting both the Steam version and the boxed PS4 copy. Like Axm said, getting to buy Shenmue again at the store, taking it home, and plopping down in front of the tv is gonna be all kinds of nostalgic with this one. And the Steam one, I'll probably just leave running so my friends list can see it and maybe gain some kind of interest.
Great that they're going dual-language, too. Always wanted to play the full series in Japanese. Hello immersion.

EDIT: It occurs to me... the screenshots and video look like they're straight emulating the DC version of S2, but it might actually be a nice feature if you could turn on a filter or something to make it look more like the Xbox one. I know it's not everyone's cup o' tea, but y'know, just to be all-inclusive. It's just a bit of bloom lighting, really.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Sappharad » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:18 am

Sappharad wrote:1. Why are all of the Shenmue 1 screenshots in 4x3? We've already managed to patch the Dreamcast version to run in 16x9, so why can't they?

I just realized this was a stupid comment after re-watching the trailer for the 5th time. They clearly show Shenmue 1 running in 16x9 during the middle of the trailer.

Here's hoping the cutscenes aren't locked to 4x3 for some weird reason. If there are ones where it's actually a problem, letterbox those. Sonic Adventure 2's port did that and it was fine.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Niowiad » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:19 am

Oh fuck yes. I've ve always wanted to replay those with the original japanese voices, regardless of image resolution.
I wish there was a PC physical copy, as I didn't buy any of the current gen consoles and don't really intend to in the future.
So... definitely going for the PC digital copy (waiting for the Kickstarter physical pc copy), and possibly a physical copy for one the two consoles which I don't even own, lol... :king:
Niowiad
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Peter » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:20 am

I could gripe about a few things... Maybe tomorrow.

But for now... I guess I will say I was told D3T were behind this last May. So it's been in production since then at the very least, more than likely way before. I've had plenty of time to read up on their studio and have followed them on Twitter for the past year. They are extremely professional and have worked on a pleothra of titles, from The Witcher 3 to various others. They have also worked with Sega before on the Mega Drive collections, both previous release and current one.

For now what I will say is simply this. These games are absolutely vital to the success of Shenmue 3 and right now, that's where I draw the line. For players to have these easily accessible on modern day hardware is something that you cannot put into words. They are necessary for Shenmue 3, and finally it's all come full circle. 14 years of being on these boards.... Who the hell would have thought we would have gotten to this point.

Shenmue 1 and 2 HD, followed by Shenmue 3.

Let that sink in.

Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:38 am

It's a win no matter which way you slice it.

And again - they wouldn't have put the "pre-release WIP footage" disclaimer if this was "done". Shenmue II in particular looks like a cross between the DC and Xbox versions, and there's an attempt at rebuilt lighting in the prologue of the opening to the original Shenmue. I think whatever improvements they're making visually, they're not done with it yet.

Stuff like getting it working at all, new and classic control schemes (for pads and PC), the new UI, and dual audio may have understandably have come first.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ys » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:15 am

So the rumors were true. Nice. Judging by the features it also seems as if they care and are trying to do it the right way. For example providing control scheme options.

SheepheadCG wrote:I wonder what this means for Shenmue 3 & 4, and if Sega will actually help out with Shenmue 4 now...

Yeah. I've also been wondering if Sega would get more involved with Shenmue 3 than we officially know. It is kind of in their interest after all.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:45 am

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! YES, YES, YES and yes again!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Everything has just been forgiven! Decades of crappy Sonic games, Valkyria Revolution, Hatsune Miku, all the bullshit Sega have been producing during the last 10 or 15 years. Everything is forgiven!

Thank you Sega! Thank you, thank you, thank you! God bless you, God bless everyone working at Sega and their families! Sega is back! Thank you so much!!!

I just got up and this is how my weekend begins. Ain't life awesome? Tears of joy. Can't even remotely express how I feel right now!

Hyo Razuki has received 4 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, Miles Prower, redline, SledgeNE
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby redline » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:58 am

shenmue 1/2 hd and s3 all in the same year. :) :D
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Miles Prower » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:21 am

FINALLY. This was glorious news to wake up to this morning :D
And the option for English or Japanese voices too! I certainly wasn't expecting that.
Box art looks gorgeous as well, I will most definitely be getting the PS4 physical version. With giving Yu the license to make S3, Sonic Mania and now this, Sega are on the road to redeeming themselves in my eyes...
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987

Postby SledgeNE » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:50 am

YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome! :heart:
SledgeNE

Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby BlueMue » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:56 am

OMG they actually did it! While I had this funny feeling of things being different around this hype time it still is surprising that we do finally get it! I'm so happy, so excited for this now that I actually can not freak out for some reason. :lol:

The added features sound like just what we need so far but I'm curious if there's more like save anywhere in Shenmue and how widescreen and the resolutions are handled. Now we can start hoping for cleared file transfer to Shenmue III again!

BlueMue has received 2 thanks from: Miles Prower, SledgeNE
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Elevensixty » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:01 am

Just so happy, high fives all around.. can't even talk about it right now, just gotta take a deep breath

Elevensixty has received a thanks from: SledgeNE
Elevensixty
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: elevensixty
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Polybius

Postby King John Blaze » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:21 am

Just woke up to the news today with a very meh reaction. This was the chance to bring in news fans of the game with a remake, no a re-release. Wouldn't have cost a significant amount just to significantly update the graphics of the game. Day one purchase for me but can't help but feel this is a massive opportunity missed.
King John Blaze
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release