Shenmue HD Steam Japan (PS4 Exclusive in Japan?)

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Shenmue HD Steam Japan (PS4 Exclusive in Japan?)

Postby Kirino_Matsuyama » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:06 am

Super happy about Shenmue HD. I'm going to get it on all platforms just to show my support. \:D/

According to the IGN Japan website. People in Japan will only get a PS4 release. Is this true?

Here is what IGN have written;

4月14日のセガフェスで『シェンムーI&II』がPS4向けに発表された。
国内ではPS4のみだが、北米欧州ではPC版、Xbox One版も発売予定

The second sentence says that regarding the domestic (Japan) release it will only be on the PS4. North America and Europe will have Xbox One and PC versions.

Recently Japanese companies haven't been releasing games on Steam in Japan, that new Dragonball Z game wasn't released in Japan either, it was a PS4 exclusive in Japan. You can purchase a CD Key from an official site, however, it is meant to be illegal and your Steam account could get blocked. I wish that they don't exclude PC Games in Japan, as I really want this game to be a success on all platforms :heart:
Kirino_Matsuyama
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue

Re: Shenmue HD Steam Japan (PS4 Exclusive in Japan?)

Postby returnedfate » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:44 am

Yeah unfortunately Japan will be recieving a PS4 version of Shenmue 1&2 HD only. It's a bummer but you have to remember that the Xbox One is pretty much dust in the Japanese market whilst the west gets it multiplat with the help of Sega Europe and America where Xbox still has a market especially Steam and PC.
returnedfate
Banned
Banned

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:36 am

PC gaming is almost non-existant in Japan, as far as I know and Xbox has always been irrelevant over there, so why would they release Japanese versions for PC and XB1?

Makes sense only releasing the PS4 version there. If they ever make a Switch version, they will also bring it to Japan, I guess.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby redline » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:05 am

Hyo Razuki wrote:. If they ever make a Switch version, they will also bring it to Japan, I guess.

imo a nintendo switch version would be great. i feel shenmue speaks well to younger people/ kids ( i was 14 when s1 came out and loved it), also kids are not going to be too fussed about graphics, if sHD looks a bit dated.

redline has received 2 thanks from: Hyo Razuki, Kirino_Matsuyama
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kirino_Matsuyama » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:59 am

Hyo Razuki wrote: PC gaming is almost non-existant in Japan, as far as I know and Xbox has always been irrelevant over there, so why would they release Japanese versions for PC and XB1?

Makes sense only releasing the PS4 version there. If they ever make a Switch version, they will also bring it to Japan, I guess.

I see your point about PC gaming not being that popular in Japan, however I think the following points out weight the argument not to have it as a PS4 exclusive;

1) There are still quite a lot of Japanese PC gamers. Steam doesn’t have the monopoly in Japan, so other companies like DMM could sell it.

2) There are a lot of expatriates and foreigners living in Japan who would appreciate a PC version. It’s not easy for us to purchase Steam games outside of Japan. Also, there’s a risk our Steam Account could be banded for using games from a different region.

3) Undoubtedly even if Sega could only sell a few thousand copies (sure they would sell more) on Xbox or PC it would be worth it, as they already have the games localised on PC and Xbox in English and Japanese. Little effort, maximum return :shock:

4)
Shenmue III has a Japanese PC physical release planned, so wouldn’t it make sense to have all three in physical releases on the PC. So Japanese gamers can play all 3 games on PC? Also if (and a big if), Shenmue I & II's save files can be sent on to Shenmue III, Japanese PC gamers won't have an opportunity to do this.

Anyway, maybe Sega have signed an agreement in Japan for PS4 console exclusivity. It makes sense for Sega to back a domestic manufacture 'Sony', to support a Japanese company over a foreign one.

One of the main reasons that I wanted to play Shenmue on the PC is because it is free to play games online, so you can join the online community without paying and share your scores/progress online with friends e.t.c

When you play on the Xbox or PS4 you have to pay and subscribe to be online, and I'm adamant (maybe too old fashioned as well) not to do this, as online gaming should be free.

Anyway, I will probably end up getting a CD Key to play it on Steam if that's the only way I can play it in Japan (and risk being banned from Steam). Also I'll get it on the PS4 as well as I really way to support Shenmue as I would love this game to be a fantastic success! It'll be a great opportunity to show gamers what Shenmue was about and hopefully encourage them to purchase Shenmue III.

redline wrote:
Hyo Razuki wrote:. If they ever make a Switch version, they will also bring it to Japan, I guess.

imo a nintendo switch version would be great. i feel shenmue speaks well to younger people/ kids ( i was 14 when s1 came out and loved it), also kids are not going to be too fussed about graphics, if sHD looks a bit dated.

If Shenmue got a Switch release, I would go out the next day and buy a Switch just for Shenmue :king:
Kirino_Matsuyama

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release