Release Date Speculation

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

When will Shenmue 1&2 HD release in 2018? (Total votes: 76)

April - June
9%
July - September
36%
October - December
55%

Re: Release Date Speculation

Postby dietsoap » Tue May 01, 2018 1:07 pm

Spaghetti wrote: Don't get too carried away thinking about E3, guys.

lmao way too late for that m8
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby alexh86 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:34 pm

Withholding some release information is just good marketing strategy. When the game was announced, it was all over Twitter and all the big game news sites ran stories on it. They gave us a tiny bit of information and a very tiny amount of video. Later, they'll announce the release date and get more free publicity. Maybe they'll release a trailer or gameplay footage and get more free publicity. If you shoot your wad all at once, no one (except rabid fans like us) talks about it again until release.
alexh86
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ahark86
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Elevensixty » Mon May 14, 2018 6:07 pm

I'm sooooo hyped
Elevensixty
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: elevensixty
Currently playing: Polybius

Postby Spaghetti » Mon May 14, 2018 6:43 pm

The August 21st date also turned up on a German wholesaler a while back.

Actually, their Shenmue I & II listing went up before SEGA Fes but it flew very much under the radar. Staff here had been tipped off about the listing, but it was decided we'd sit on the story to see how SEGA Fes panned out. Glad we did, haha.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sappharad » Mon May 14, 2018 9:16 pm

Spaghetti wrote: The August 21st date also turned up on a German wholesaler a while back.

Actually, their Shenmue I & II listing went up before SEGA Fes but it flew very much under the radar. Staff here had been tipped off about the listing, but it was decided we'd sit on the story to see how SEGA Fes panned out. Glad we did, haha.

August 21st doesn't make sense, IMO. It's too close to Yakuza Kiwami 2, which has already been announced for August 28th. It's very unusual for Sega to release new games 2 weeks in a row, and especially ones in a similar genre that will compete against one another for sales.

I'm getting both, but I'd be sad if that date is real because I probably wouldn't be finished re-playing Shenmue 1 & 2 before Kiwami 2 comes out. I'm hoping the June date from NewEgg ends up being the real one. Or they move Shenmue into the first half of August instead.

Sappharad has received a thanks from: Kyo_JP
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Tue May 15, 2018 7:52 am

Sappharad wrote:August 21st doesn't make sense, IMO. It's too close to Yakuza Kiwami 2, which has already been announced for August 28th. It's very unusual for Sega to release new games 2 weeks in a row, and especially ones in a similar genre that will compete against one another for sales.

I'm getting both, but I'd be sad if that date is real because I probably wouldn't be finished re-playing Shenmue 1 & 2 before Kiwami 2 comes out. I'm hoping the June date from NewEgg ends up being the real one. Or they move Shenmue into the first half of August instead.

I don't think it's a legit date either tbh. There have been so many flying around that right now it sounds as bogus as the other ones.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby spud1897 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:33 am

I reckon the date will be a couple weeks after the E3, with an announcement at E3. Ideally I'd love the Shenmue 3 date, gameplay and other news to come out at E3 but that's a 50/50 chance at best.

Looking forward to it anyway.
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2

Postby Tosh » Tue May 15, 2018 9:07 pm

i think its possible that they will tell us a release date during the E3 time
but if they really wait until the second week of June for the announcement,
then the release date is not in June. they have to produce the physical Xbox and PS4 versions
and ship them to all the stores world wide. thats not a process thats done in 7-14 days or so.
it could work if the process is already running right now but i'm pretty sure we would see some leaks about that.
so i will say - May, June = no way.
Tosh
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby celsowm » Wed May 16, 2018 8:33 am

Well Shenmue III officially delayed to 2019 now, so d3td has more time to polish Shenmue HD too.
celsowm

PSN: celsowmbr

Postby BlueMue » Wed May 16, 2018 9:19 am

It's pretty save to assume that there are some internal talks between the two teams so they can both find a strategicaly smart release plan. And this raises at least my hopes that they decide to include a save file connection after all.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: celsowm
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kyo_JP » Wed May 16, 2018 9:46 am

After the Shenmue III delay, I think is going to be October-December, the got the summer pretty much covered with Sonic Mania Plus and Kiwami 2
Kyo_JP
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Skillz » Thu May 17, 2018 8:59 pm

I am not certain of the release date either. With the way it was announced it is obviously coming out this year. But I do no think it is releasing in the fall I feel that is too late and bunches them with other releases. after June seems a definite bet. Pre-orders came available in late March early April no? So it has to be releasing soon. I assume once they get pre-order numbers there will b an announcement in or around E3.
Skillz
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Telekill » Fri May 18, 2018 10:17 am

Sappharad wrote:I'm getting both, but I'd be sad if that date is real because I probably wouldn't be finished re-playing Shenmue 1 & 2 before Kiwami 2 comes out.

You must choose. *muah ha hah* :twisted:

Tosh wrote: i think its possible that they will tell us a release date during the E3 time
but if they really wait until the second week of June for the announcement,
then the release date is not in June. they have to produce the physical Xbox and PS4 versions
and ship them to all the stores world wide. thats not a process thats done in 7-14 days or so.
it could work if the process is already running right now but i'm pretty sure we would see some leaks about that.
so i will say - May, June = no way.

I doubt there would be leaks. Leaks aren't a guarantee and Sega has been known to do this in the past. Remember the Saturn announcement at E3 in 1994? "And you can buy one NOW!" Saturn systems were waiting at retailers for after the E3 announcement. Thus, Shenmue already being distributed by the time E3 rolls around is a possibility.

Yes, I'm aware that leaks happen far more frequently these days when compared to 1994.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby SledgeNE » Fri May 18, 2018 11:07 am

I bet on November.
SledgeNE