Concerns about Shenmue HD.

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Concerns about Shenmue HD.

Postby punkmanced » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Well, it's still a bit early to judge. The team member clearly said that some scenes were "currently" limited to 4:3, which sounds anything but final.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby BalHan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:53 pm

I’m concerned that first-time players will judge the content of the game through the lens of today’s standards and the games won’t be well-received as a result.

When Ryo asks about the tattoo parlour, people strongly discourage him from getting a tattoo because people who get tattoos are ‘strange’ or something along those lines.

When Ryo asks people about Chai’s whereabouts, he describes him as ‘suspicious-looking’ and worse.

Ryo takes away Mai from the unpleasant girls Mai is hanging out with by beating them up.

Just a few examples that I could think of but there’s probably lots more.
BalHan
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby NismoZZzz » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:01 pm

I actually came across a lovely concern this evening. Went to pick up God of War at 9PM at Game Stop. As the dude was ringing me up I asked if they started taking Shenmue I & II preorders yet. He stared at me with a blank look on his face and had no idea what I was talking about. I repeat myself and he still has no clue. Asks how to spell it which I did. It basically hit me this dude is probably 18 - 25ish and has no idea about Shenmue. This game will not be accepted by the masses (hopefully Xmas shopping parents end up randomly picking it up) and some new people will probably enjoy it from all the nostalgia talk Shenmue fans have spoken about throughout the years. In the end, I am just happy we are getting a chance to play these on modern consoles, but am slightly concerned that it'll bring in that many new fans.
NismoZZzz
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Centrale » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:07 pm

Okay, so, the thing is, Shenmue is not going to be the biggest hit of the year and not everybody will get into it, and some people will not even hear about it because it's not the kind of game they're interested in. That's actually normal. There's only a few games that are marketed so heavily that everybody has heard of them... and not everybody likes those games, either. It's okay.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby khmlight3 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:32 am

I'm 17 and I know about it! And I told my friend he is 15 and is turning 16 next month he seems to like it!

khmlight3 has received 2 thanks from: dietsoap, NismoZZzz
khmlight3
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: thunderlight10
XBL: khmlight3
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby GYO6161 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:31 am

khmlight3 wrote: I'm 17 and I know about it! And I told my friend he is 15 and is turning 16 next month he seems to like it!

I'm sorry to say this but you are the exception my friend. Most 17 year old gamers are mindlessly playing things like fortnite or pubg. Shenmue is mostly a old mans game in this age.
Hopefully this HD collection brings new fans and younger gamers aboard, i wanna believe there's more 17 year olds like you who can see the value of these games despite their age and not having the ''shiniest'' visuals or online components.

GYO6161 has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby SheepheadCG » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:02 am

NismoZZzz wrote: I actually came across a lovely concern this evening. Went to pick up God of War at 9PM at Game Stop. As the dude was ringing me up I asked if they started taking Shenmue I & II preorders yet. He stared at me with a blank look on his face and had no idea what I was talking about. I repeat myself and he still has no clue. Asks how to spell it which I did. It basically hit me this dude is probably 18 - 25ish and has no idea about Shenmue. This game will not be accepted by the masses (hopefully Xmas shopping parents end up randomly picking it up) and some new people will probably enjoy it from all the nostalgia talk Shenmue fans have spoken about throughout the years. In the end, I am just happy we are getting a chance to play these on modern consoles, but am slightly concerned that it'll bring in that many new fans.

GYO6161 wrote: Hopefully this HD collection brings new fans and younger gamers aboard, i wanna believe there's more 17 year olds like you who can see the value of these games despite their age and not having the ''shiniest'' visuals or online components.

Jesus guys!! We just got a re-release of the 2 games that we have been waiting 17 years for, we should be happy!!
First of all, everyone knows how terrible gamestop is lol You could go in an ask him about any [insert japanese game here], and he wouldn't know what it was. They will only know about the game closer to release, and once they are actually taking pre-orders/once the marketing buzz beings.
If you go back into the same gamestop once Sega has started their advertisement campaigns etc, and he still doesn't know, well then he probably shouldn't be working there :P

Sega are already blown away by the early reaction to the announcement and I'm sure they have better metrics than we do.

Here in the UK, we have a deals website (where people post all types of deals, gaming, electronics, clothes etc), if people think the deal is good, they can up-vote it, and if they think it is bad, they down-vote it. On the day that Shenmue 1 & 2 pre-orders were released, there were 2 threads that complete blew up!

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/pre-or ... ts-2926638
https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/shenmu ... se-2927204

There are comments from people who are fans, people who have never heard of it, people who backed 3 and have never played 1 & 2, the reaction is off the charts and they got up-voted like crazy!

To put it into perspective, they are still in place number 2 and 3 of this whole weeks hottest threads, and combined, would be double the heat of 1st place:

Once Sega starts the information trickle, shows more game play footage, and starts its marketing campaign, I am sure that we (and Sega) are going to be blown away by the buzz and ultimately sales for the games.

Let's be happy that we are getting them :D!
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby WhiteCrane » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:25 am

My concern is Shenmue 2 will attempt a software version of the XBOX's anti-aliasing that gave the game too soft a picture. I know I'm in the minority here, but I found Shenmue IIx unplayable as a result of the image softness which created a lot of blurr. Text in the beginning credits was difficult to read. This was compounded if you had an earlier Xbox because they used a worse video encoder.

Hoping for a nice hard, sharp picture. It would be nice to play Shenmue 2 in English for the first time.
WhiteCrane
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: WhiteCrane
Steam: [email protected]
Currently playing: Puppeteer

Postby dietsoap » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:28 am

SheepheadCG wrote:
NismoZZzz wrote: I actually came across a lovely concern this evening. Went to pick up God of War at 9PM at Game Stop. As the dude was ringing me up I asked if they started taking Shenmue I & II preorders yet. He stared at me with a blank look on his face and had no idea what I was talking about. I repeat myself and he still has no clue. Asks how to spell it which I did. It basically hit me this dude is probably 18 - 25ish and has no idea about Shenmue. This game will not be accepted by the masses (hopefully Xmas shopping parents end up randomly picking it up) and some new people will probably enjoy it from all the nostalgia talk Shenmue fans have spoken about throughout the years. In the end, I am just happy we are getting a chance to play these on modern consoles, but am slightly concerned that it'll bring in that many new fans.

GYO6161 wrote: Hopefully this HD collection brings new fans and younger gamers aboard, i wanna believe there's more 17 year olds like you who can see the value of these games despite their age and not having the ''shiniest'' visuals or online components.

Jesus guys!! We just got a re-release of the 2 games that we have been waiting 17 years for, we should be happy!!
First of all, everyone knows how terrible gamestop is lol You could go in an ask him about any [insert japanese game here], and he wouldn't know what it was. They will only know about the game closer to release, and once they are actually taking pre-orders/once the marketing buzz beings.
If you go back into the same gamestop once Sega has started their advertisement campaigns etc, and he still doesn't know, well then he probably shouldn't be working there :P

Sega are already blown away by the early reaction to the announcement and I'm sure they have better metrics than we do.

Here in the UK, we have a deals website (where people post all types of deals, gaming, electronics, clothes etc), if people think the deal is good, they can up-vote it, and if they think it is bad, they down-vote it. On the day that Shenmue 1 & 2 pre-orders were released, there were 2 threads that complete blew up!

There are comments from people who are fans, people who have never heard of it, people who backed 3 and have never played 1 & 2, the reaction is off the charts and they got up-voted like crazy!

To put it into perspective, they are still in place number 2 and 3 of this whole weeks hottest threads, and combined, would be double the heat of 1st place:

Once Sega starts the information trickle, shows more game play footage, and starts its marketing campaign, I am sure that we (and Sega) are going to be blown away by the buzz and ultimately sales for the games.

I think you have a point, a lot of people that work at Gamestop may only play western and/or Nintendo games, and other Japanese games as a whole may be completely off their radar.

dietsoap has received a thanks from: SheepheadCG
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby NismoZZzz » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:06 am

SheepheadCG wrote:

Oh no worries on my end my friend. I am beyond excited to play these bad boys again in my PS4 and Xbox One. Just thought I'd share something I came across last night. It was honestly the first time I've seen a gamer not know what Shenmue is. Maybe I'm just getting old :rotflmao:

NismoZZzz has received a thanks from: SheepheadCG
NismoZZzz
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby ProjektHate » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:57 pm

WhiteCrane wrote: My concern is Shenmue 2 will attempt a software version of the XBOX's anti-aliasing that gave the game too soft a picture. I know I'm in the minority here, but I found Shenmue IIx unplayable as a result of the image softness which created a lot of blurr. Text in the beginning credits was difficult to read. This was compounded if you had an earlier Xbox because they used a worse video encoder.

Hoping for a nice hard, sharp picture. It would be nice to play Shenmue 2 in English for the first time.

It wasn't the anti-aliasing that causes the "soft" picture, it was the overuse of bloom lighting. The anti-aliasing was great, and very much improved the picture quality. The bloom lighting was overused, and during the day caused everything to kind of "glow", which I didn't like. It was phenomenal at night, though, with all the neon signs.

The motion blur is it's own thing, not connected to either the anti-aliasing or bloom lighting. I didn't like that, either. Made fights look like blurry messes.

However, even if they're using the Xbox version as a base,it would be easy enough for them to dial back the bloom lighting and motion blur. There are mods for the Xbox version that turn them off entirely, and those were made without access to the source code.

ProjektHate has received 2 thanks from: Mr357, VukBZ2005
ProjektHate

PSN: ProjektH8
Currently playing: KotOR

Postby Sappharad » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:52 pm

GYO6161 wrote:
khmlight3 wrote: I'm 17 and I know about it! And I told my friend he is 15 and is turning 16 next month he seems to like it!

I'm sorry to say this but you are the exception my friend. Most 17 year old gamers are mindlessly playing things like fortnite or pubg. Shenmue is mostly a old mans game in this age.
Hopefully this HD collection brings new fans and younger gamers aboard, i wanna believe there's more 17 year olds like you who can see the value of these games despite their age and not having the ''shiniest'' visuals or online components.

To tag along with GYO6161's comment, there's also more to it than that. You're probably aware of it because you're either a member of a gaming forum online or read some sites that post game news. I have co-workers who enjoy some of the same types of games that I do, but when it comes to upcoming games (even big ones that they would be interested in) they've never heard of them. Case in point, one of my co-workers claimed to be huge fan of the Kingdom Hearts series, but when I asked him what he thought of what the trailers for 3 he wasn't even aware they were making a 3rd one and said he'd probably buy a PS4 for it when it comes out.

Anyone who doesn't follow games regularly usually hears about them via word of mouth or ads when they log into Steam / PSN. When Shenmue first came out on Dreamcast, I had pre-ordered the limited edition directly from Sega.com but I probably would have never done that or paid attention to the game if it wasn't for the 5 minute video of it on one of the Dreamcast Magazine demo discs a few months prior. I didn't follow general game news at that time, and just subscribed to the magazine for the demo discs every other month.

There are also, sadly, people who actually care about "good graphics" and will complain or won't play a game if it looks bad to them. I had a friend back in college (over 10 years ago at this point) who heard good things about Skies of Arcadia, borrowed it for a bit from one of his other friends and didn't play more than an hour of it. He told me he thought the graphics were too blocky looking and didn't like it. To many it was one of the best JRPGs on Dreamcast and Gamecube. Those people are missing out on some great games.

Despite the graphics being unchanged since the 2001 (/2) release, I think the remasters still at least have the potential to outsell what they did when they first came out. They'll be able to reach a much bigger audience now, and the communities serving general gaming discussions (Resetera, Twitch, YouTube) reach far more people than back in 2001. The only site I remember from back then that covered everything where you could get a feel for what is popular at that time was GameFAQ's, which had a Top 10 list on the main page showing which titles were generating the most traffic that week. I just hope that if people get burned out on the first game, they don't abandon it before trying the 2nd one.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Centrale » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:06 pm

With all this hand-wringing, you would think Shenmue isn't a fun game. It found its audience when it came out and it'll find its audience this time, too. A bigger audience, I expect.

Centrale has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:20 pm

Wow, you don't need to go as far as appealing to the mass, I think. The games have waken the curiosity of plenty of enthusiast/hardcore gamers for years, bit by bit, slowly but surely. Firstly because of the initial reputation of the game (GTA, Sega's, classic, themes & concept), secondly the Shenmue 3 legend, then the Kickstarter record and now the remaster. This was also evidenced by some polls I could witnessed through the web.

Meanwhile, some of my friends have already heard about Shenmue HD. I've no idea how but that's totally an achievement since Sega Fes is not E3. I'm looking forward to know what he will think about when he plays it.

Because, yeah, I'm more concerned about the reception of the game actually.

However I don't think Shenmue is a niche game. It's just that the targeted audience is not necessarily among the core gaming community (who got into the media for specific genres) but abroad. They just don't know that the game of their dreams does exist.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Valascaziel » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:37 pm

Well, let us remember two things---nostalgia is a VERY powerful thing. It's part of why HD Remasters have become so common. People love to go back and play the classics of their youth with a fresh coat of paint, even if it's a simple upscale.

It brings classics to newer audiences who may have never gotten the chance to play it.

Also--this is one of the premiere Shenmue fan sites around, with many passionate fans who had no small part in the series' resurrection in both III and the HD Remasters.

But it's only a small part--a quick glance at ResetERA, IGN, social media...the amount of people excited for the arrival of this collection is astounding. The fanbase for Shenmue is far larger than I think anyone realises and it will only go up, I believe.

No, it isn't for everyone--but somewhere out there, it will find an audience of thousands of new fans and that will all but guarantee us a proper conclusion to the series in the end with a fourth or even fifth entry, I think.

In terms of entertainment media, I can't think of a greater revival story brought about by passionate fans than this series. The only one that springs to my mind is the resurrection of The X-Files.

Valascaziel has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release