Concerns about Shenmue HD.

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Concerns about Shenmue HD.

Postby johnvivant » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:02 am

the source code can be converted in a such a way that modern systems can execute the commands directly just like a native piece of software rather than having to go though another intermediary program (emulator) which attempts to imitate the original hardware.

i'm not a technical person but its something like that. ports are generally more efficient and therefore less taxing on the resources. a good port can also produce greater accuracy in presentation in line with the original software. but then again so can a good emulator.

a 'compiler' is used to convert the original source code into a new programming language understood by modern systems. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiler
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby JPZ » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:18 am

Sappharad wrote:
dietsoap wrote:At least at first glance that looks fine to me. What exactly is wrong with it and what would you do different?

I agree, the new HUD elements look fine to me. The clock needs to be generic looking to ditch the Timex branding since they're not re-licensing that. Some of it was weird at first and almost too smooth, but that's just because we're used to seeing the original. I will say that Esppiral's comparison screenshots on the previous page do look better to me than the ones Sega released, however it's an unfair comparison to make at the moment. Smoothing and filtering options are used for his images, and on PC you'll be able to force that stuff anyway via graphics card options. It's still possible those options could be exposed in-game as well.

Monday's batch of screenshots basically indirectly confirmed that aspect ratio will be an option (as we've now seen Shenmue 2 cutscenes in true 16x9 and also in 4x3 but letterboxed to 16x9 like the original was) so that's not something I'm worried about anymore although there's still no evidence that we'll get actual 16x9 cutscenes in Shenmue 1. Aside from that I'm not concerned about any graphical problems being introduced to the first game, since they're basing it on the original code and the team working on it knows what they're doing. For Shenmue 1 it's going to be the definitive way to play almost certainly.

But I will say that I still agree with some concerns about the second game. It's very likely that the problems introduced in the Xbox port will not be fixed. Sega contracted them to port the games and dictates the requirements for the project. D3T is going to do exactly what Sega requests from them, and if correcting the mistakes introduced in that version is not something that was requested, it will not happen. The people responsible for these decisions are not going to have the same knowledge of the game differences that the fans do. It's likely that they're not even aware of the differences and will just be doing comparisons against the Xbox version. Unless reverting the geometry changes is a planned change then it won't be happening. I'm buying it either way, but I'm disappointed that they're basing the area geometry on the Xbox port. (And before anyone goes all "but these are WIP" on me for this paragraph, re-read it again or just ignore this part completely. We don't know what their plans are, but they chose to cherry pick images with Xbox geometry intact and I personally believe they won't fix it. My opinion about that will be the same at release if it remains as-is, and I'll be very happy if I'm wrong or someone makes them aware of the situation and they decide oh we should change this. I'm still satisfied with the fact that this is happening at all)

asdfguy wrote: First, I'll increase Ryo's health bar by increasing the contrast and making the "yellow status" more vibrant.

You're forgetting how that works. It pulses in and out, they just took the screenshot at a low point. If it works the same way as it does in the original there's nothing wrong with that image.

So for Shenmue II some street signs and small details will be missing? Surely they would just use the Dreamcast version or have they stated otherwise?
JPZ
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Metal Gear Solid V

Postby dietsoap » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:27 am

JPZ wrote:
Sappharad wrote:
dietsoap wrote:At least at first glance that looks fine to me. What exactly is wrong with it and what would you do different?

I agree, the new HUD elements look fine to me. The clock needs to be generic looking to ditch the Timex branding since they're not re-licensing that. Some of it was weird at first and almost too smooth, but that's just because we're used to seeing the original. I will say that Esppiral's comparison screenshots on the previous page do look better to me than the ones Sega released, however it's an unfair comparison to make at the moment. Smoothing and filtering options are used for his images, and on PC you'll be able to force that stuff anyway via graphics card options. It's still possible those options could be exposed in-game as well.

Monday's batch of screenshots basically indirectly confirmed that aspect ratio will be an option (as we've now seen Shenmue 2 cutscenes in true 16x9 and also in 4x3 but letterboxed to 16x9 like the original was) so that's not something I'm worried about anymore although there's still no evidence that we'll get actual 16x9 cutscenes in Shenmue 1. Aside from that I'm not concerned about any graphical problems being introduced to the first game, since they're basing it on the original code and the team working on it knows what they're doing. For Shenmue 1 it's going to be the definitive way to play almost certainly.

But I will say that I still agree with some concerns about the second game. It's very likely that the problems introduced in the Xbox port will not be fixed. Sega contracted them to port the games and dictates the requirements for the project. D3T is going to do exactly what Sega requests from them, and if correcting the mistakes introduced in that version is not something that was requested, it will not happen. The people responsible for these decisions are not going to have the same knowledge of the game differences that the fans do. It's likely that they're not even aware of the differences and will just be doing comparisons against the Xbox version. Unless reverting the geometry changes is a planned change then it won't be happening. I'm buying it either way, but I'm disappointed that they're basing the area geometry on the Xbox port. (And before anyone goes all "but these are WIP" on me for this paragraph, re-read it again or just ignore this part completely. We don't know what their plans are, but they chose to cherry pick images with Xbox geometry intact and I personally believe they won't fix it. My opinion about that will be the same at release if it remains as-is, and I'll be very happy if I'm wrong or someone makes them aware of the situation and they decide oh we should change this. I'm still satisfied with the fact that this is happening at all)

asdfguy wrote: First, I'll increase Ryo's health bar by increasing the contrast and making the "yellow status" more vibrant.

You're forgetting how that works. It pulses in and out, they just took the screenshot at a low point. If it works the same way as it does in the original there's nothing wrong with that image.

So for Shenmue II some street signs and small details will be missing? Surely they would just use the Dreamcast version or have they stated otherwise?
I'd imagine that Sega genuinely doesn't know of the faults of the Xbox version and just assumed it was superior because it came out later. I agree that this is my one big worry about the HD Collection, though I'll be getting it day one either way.
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Gastarot » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:50 am

Do you know if we will have 30 or 60 FPS for 1080p 16/9 for Shenmue Remaster?
Gastarot
Banned
Banned

PSN: Gastarot
Steam: Gastarot
Currently playing: Jet Set Radio

Postby Centrale » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:57 am

Gastarot wrote:Do you know if we will have 30 or 60 FPS for 1080p 16/9 for Shenmue Remaster?

This has not been officially announced. People who know the engine well have said that it has to run at 30 fps so it seems doubtful that 60 fps will be possible, but again there hasn't been any official word as of yet.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Gen » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:02 pm

Gastarot wrote: .
Do you know if we will have 30 or 60 FPS for 1080p 16/9 for Shenmue Remaster?

About the framerate, we don't know yet. I'm really hoping for 60 but I think it might be too difficult/costly. If it's 30 then hopefully they can at least reduce slowdown so it's stable compared to the dc version.
Gen
Master of the Three Blades

Postby punkmanced » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:15 pm

Jibby wrote: It's been confirmed already that it's a source code port:
https://d3tltd.com/shenmue/
We can finally reveal that the d3t team have been resurrecting Shenmue from the original source code written over 20 years ago!

Meaning, the Dreamcast code of Shenmue 2...or the Xbox code of the ported version?

Reading this, my first reaction is: "Dreamcast!" But with enough people pointing to the Xbox version, perhaps the question will need to be asked officially at some point.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby life_247 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:40 pm

Ok so clearly they were lying. They’ve simply taken the X-Box (which is pretty much a PC in a box) version taken the engine converted it to run on more modern hardware and loaded Shenmue 1 into it. Problem is the engine is entirely proprietary so I doubt that they are going to add anything to it other than letting run faster and at a higher resolution.

I mean it begs the question why they didn’t do this with Shenmue 1 on the x-box to begin with?

If it’s very lazy then yes it will be 4:3 cutscenes with the 16:9 in game only. S2 is massive even by today’s standards so I doubt they’re going to go through every cutscene and re-edit it. The exception I hope will be QTEs please don’t make those 4:3!!

Still going to buy it but it feels like a lot of hype for a cash grab. You can buy a lot of the rockstar games on PS4 for about £5-8 on the PS Store, this product is likely to be that sort of value. I will still buy it and play through and it’s great it’s getting a release but I don’t expect great things here.
life_247

Postby KidMarine » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:54 pm

life_247 wrote: Ok so clearly they were lying. They’ve simply taken the X-Box (which is pretty much a PC in a box) version taken the engine converted it to run on more modern hardware and loaded Shenmue 1 into it. Problem is the engine is entirely proprietary so I doubt that they are going to add anything to it other than letting run faster and at a higher resolution.

I mean it begs the question why they didn’t do this with Shenmue 1 on the x-box to begin with?

If it’s very lazy then yes it will be 4:3 cutscenes with the 16:9 in game only. S2 is massive even by today’s standards so I doubt they’re going to go through every cutscene and re-edit it. The exception I hope will be QTEs please don’t make those 4:3!!

Still going to buy it but it feels like a lot of hype for a cash grab. You can buy a lot of the rockstar games on PS4 for about £5-8 on the PS Store, this product is likely to be that sort of value. I will still buy it and play through and it’s great it’s getting a release but I don’t expect great things here.

What the fuck? Where in the hell are you getting all this from?
Last edited by KidMarine on Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby BlackHeaven » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:56 pm

Well I think the Trailer does not look like 60 fps, but 30
BlackHeaven

Postby Jibby » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:13 pm

life_247 wrote: Ok so clearly they were lying. They’ve simply taken the X-Box (which is pretty much a PC in a box) version taken the engine converted it to run on more modern hardware and loaded Shenmue 1 into it. Problem is the engine is entirely proprietary so I doubt that they are going to add anything to it other than letting run faster and at a higher resolution.

This just simply isn't true. I ask that you refrain from spreading false information like this on these boards.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Shenmue_Trilogy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:23 pm

Gastarot wrote: Do you know if we will have 60 FPS for 1080p 16/9 ?

According to famitsu the cut scenes are in 4:3. Gameplay 16:9.
The game is about 70% finished. modern controls via analog and classic controls via digi-pad
Shenmue_Trilogy

Postby Anthony817 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:25 pm

I know I am preaching to the choir here, but for those that don't know like the guy above I suggest people take the time to check this video out. It is the definitive video that explains ALL the differences and nuances of the Xbox and original Dreamcast and what makes each so different.

phpBB [video]

This shows the pros and cons of the Xbox version. I do hope we can combine some of the pros from the Xbox port on the PC version of the pack via mods.

Since it is so long, if you only want to see the differences betwixt Dreamcast and Xbox, skip to about 14:50 in the video.
Last edited by Anthony817 on Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anthony817 has received a thanks from: Reprise
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: Anthony817
Currently playing: Shenmue II English 99min

Postby life_247 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:32 pm

Sega had previously said it was "investigating" a potential re-release of the Shenmue games, although at the time the publisher said it wasn't simply a matter of porting the titles to modern consoles. "With games as immersive as [Shenmue and Shenmue II], there are further complications [involving] licensed products that were included in the original games," Sega Europe community manager Dan Sheridan said

Sorry suddenly realised that this quote wasn’t part of the thread and from a gamespot article! To be clear the previous post was answering the forum question of what my fears are - my fears are it’s a lie and it’s a basic Xbox port.

From memory the only licensed products in the EU version was the Timex watch other than Segas own IP. Happy to be corrected on that. So they have simply banged in a quick port of the Xbox version:

From the trailer it looks very like the X-Box version which runs on Direct X8.1 (As do all X-Box games). There’s also nothing graphically new, so there would be no reason not to take the already (quite complicated) work done of converting it from the Dreamcast PowerVR graphical hardware to run on the DirectX (windows/Xbox one/ not sure on PS4 some work may of had to go on there but again probably not) platform. It doesn’t appear that they are redoing any lighting and there is a lot of 4:3 on the video. The textures don’t look like they’ve been touched.

All of this is fine but to package it up as some big HD version is a bit of marketing. It’s a PS Store release dressed up as a proper remaster.
life_247

Postby Gen » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:41 pm

Shenmue_Trilogy wrote:
Gastarot wrote: Do you know if we will have 60 FPS for 1080p 16/9 ?

According to famitsu the cut scenes are in 4:3. Gameplay 16:9.
The game is about 70% finished. modern controls via analog and classic controls via digi-pad

Interesting, you read it yourself or heard from someone?
Gen

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release