Concerns about Shenmue HD.

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Concerns about Shenmue HD.

Postby Jibby » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:47 pm

life_247 wrote:So they have simply banged in a quick port of the Xbox version

life_247 wrote:It’s a PS Store release dressed up as a proper remaster.

Again let me reiterate: it's ok to discuss these concerns, but when you begin passing this speculation off as fact like the above examples it becomes a problem. Please be mindful of this when discussing further.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:03 pm

Shenmue_Trilogy wrote:
Gastarot wrote: Do you know if we will have 60 FPS for 1080p 16/9 ?

According to famitsu the cut scenes are in 4:3. Gameplay 16:9.
The game is about 70% finished. modern controls via analog and classic controls via digi-pad

Nooooo :cry:

If the screenshots are representative of the current state, the finished product does smell a very basic port. Hopefully the faster loading times and no-clipping will be enough to get a fresh replay value but most of my initial interest in it has already been lost.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Jibby » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:06 pm

I mentioned it in another thread but it's not clear yet whether or not the Famitsu article is basing this claim on what we've seen so far, or if they have information that we don't have yet.

If it's the latter then I'll be right there with you, but we should wait for more information before hopping on the disappointment bandwagon.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:11 pm

It's difficult to have an accurate sense of scale without any internal information but 70% doesn't sound a good news as 16:9 is implying a lot of work. I prefer not to believe in miracles this time.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Jibby » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:18 pm

Who really knows what that '70%' figure entails. We don't know if it's an arbitrary figure given on a whim or if they are really are that close to completion. We also don't know factors such as how old the material we've seen is or where Famitsu is getting this info from. There's a lot of things we still need to consider.

I'm not going to defend a decision to include 4:3 elements if that does turn out to be the case, but it's not yet impossible that full 16:9 will be implemented if it hasn't already been.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Reprise » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:29 pm

I think the fact Sega are not marketing or referring to this collection as either HD, Remastered or Definitive speaks volumes. Maybe I'm wrong? It seems like we as fans have built up our expectations, when Sega have never hyped these up as being amazing, 'definitive HD remasters'.

Look, I made a post a few years back. I can't remember if it was here or another forum, but I remember saying something along the lines of "hell, just give me Shenmue 1 and 2, up the resolution to 1080p, slap them on a disc with dual audio options and I'll be happy". Maybe that's all we're really getting *shrug*

Sega have ported a lot of old games in the past with only minor upgrades. I mean didn't their Sonic Adventure HD port last generation mix 4:3 and 16:9 (or maybe it was just exclusively in 4:3)?
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Anthony817 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:33 pm

life_247 wrote:The textures don’t look like they’ve been touched.

All of this is fine but to package it up as some big HD version is a bit of marketing. It’s a PS Store release dressed up as a proper remaster.

They said it will have enhanced textures. My take on that is they are simply only going to be using the SOURCE textures from the internal versions. When they make textures, they intentionally make them higher resolution than the console would be able to handle. They then downres the textures to get them to render within the realms of possibility with the capability of the system. I don't think they are going to be redoing each and every texture upressing them. What I think seems more likely here are that they are using the source files from the original textures. They won't be as HD as something like what was done in the Perfect Dark HD port for Xbox 360 where it had all new HD models and textures.
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: Anthony817
Currently playing: Shenmue II English 99min

Postby Jibby » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:34 pm

Reprise wrote:It seems like we as fans have built up our expectations, when Sega have never hyped these up as being amazing, 'definitive HD remasters'.

To me it feels like quite the opposite. A lot of 'fans' here have done nothing but downplay and criticise these remasters despite SEGA pushing them massively and running and running fantastic and interactive campaigns on social media such as #ShenmueSaved and #MyShenmue. Heck, they even flew Adam Koralik all the way over to Tokyo just so we could have a familiar face to represent SEGA. To say they aren't hyping this up simply isn't true.

Jibby has received 2 thanks from: alexironaek, Anthony817
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby dietsoap » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:51 pm

Anthony817 wrote: I know I am preaching to the choir here, but for those that don't know like the guy above I suggest people take the time to check this video out. It is the definitive video that explains ALL the differences and nuances of the Xbox and original Dreamcast and what makes each so different.

phpBB [video]

This shows the pros and cons of the Xbox version. I do hope we can combine some of the pros from the Xbox port on the PC version of the pack via mods.

Since it is so long, if you only want to see the differences betwixt Dreamcast and Xbox, skip to about 14:50 in the video.

That entire video is great. There's also this article for more specifics.
http://shenmuedojo.net/new/extras/s2xbo ... mcast.html
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Reprise » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:56 pm

Jibby wrote:
Reprise wrote:It seems like we as fans have built up our expectations, when Sega have never hyped these up as being amazing, 'definitive HD remasters'.

To me it feels like quite the opposite. A lot of 'fans' here have done nothing but downplay and criticise these remasters despite SEGA pushing them massively and running and running fantastic and interactive campaigns on social media such as #ShenmueSaved and #MyShenmue. Heck, they even flew Adam Koralik all the way over to Tokyo just so we could have a familiar face to represent SEGA. To say they aren't hyping this up simply isn't true.

I'm talking about specifically the marketing and the branding here. I'm not denying that Sega is hyping up the collection. I mean they want strong sales, of course they're going to market it and hype it up. But they haven't once referred to it as either remastered or any of the usual slogans that get thrown around with HD remasters. It's not called 'Shenmue 1 & 2 HD', it's not called Shenmue 1 & 2 Definitive Collection, it's not called Shenmue 1 & 2 Remastered'. It's just called Shenmue 1 & 2. Whenever they refer to the collection, I don't see them making effort to state that it's a remaster. Even the community manager at Sega who posted at Shenmue 500k today referred to them as a 're-release', not a remaster or whatever.

Maybe I'm being nitpicky and pedantic here, I don't know? But it's pretty standard these days if you are releasing a HD remaster that you call it something like HD Remastered Definitive Collection and emphasise those kinds of words in the branding.

Even Gamespot picked up on it: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/shenm ... 0-6458239/
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Jibby » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:02 pm

Reprise wrote:But they haven't once referred to it as either remastered or any of the usual slogans that get thrown around with HD remasters. It's not called 'Shenmue 1 & 2 HD', it's not called Shenmue 1 & 2 Definitive Collection, it's not called Shenmue 1 & 2 Remastered'. It's just called Shenmue 1 & 2. Whenever they refer to the collection, I don't see them making effort to state that it's a remaster. Even the community manager at Sega who posted at Shenmue 500k today referred to them as a 're-release', not a remaster or whatever.

That's par for the course when it comes to SEGA though. They've never actually called their remasters "remasters". Look at the steam version of Sonic Adventure 2 for example. It's an HD remaster by all definitions, but it's simply listed as "Sonic Adventure 2". The same goes Jet Set Radio and every other game they've brought back. Not including a subtitle like "Remastered" or "HD" just seems to be a SEGA quirk. Not saying that it's a good thing, but that just seems to be how it is with them.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Reprise » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:13 pm

Jibby wrote:That's par for the course when it comes to SEGA though. They've never actually called their remasters "remasters". Look at the steam version of Sonic Adventure 2 for example. It's an HD remaster by all definitions, but it's simply listed as "Sonic Adventure 2". The same goes Jet Set Radio and every other game they've brought back. Not including a subtitle like "Remastered" or "HD" just seems to be a SEGA quirk. Not saying that it's a good thing, but that just seems to be how it is with them.

That's also true and a good point. But then none of Sega's 'remasters' have ever been particularly mind blowing either (happy to be corrected on that, if I'm missing some that were? [Edit: Oh just thought of some - Sonic CD and other classic Sonic games Christian Whitehead remastered]), so all I'm saying is perhaps it wouldn't be that surprising if there aren't many changes or additions to the games (and Sega have never indicated there would be) and perhaps those who are quick to criticise or request new features should temper their expectations.
Last edited by Reprise on Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Valascaziel » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:13 pm

Unacceptable.

This is 2018. Every TV is widescreen and to me, this exudes laziness if the rest of the game is done in a 16:9 ratio. It is going to be a jarring effect and I don't buy the "it keeps nostalgic charm". The whole GAME does that, honestly and would have that charm in a 16:9 scale entirely.

Where is the 4K support for PS4 Pro and Xbox One X? Even HDR for Shenmue's vibrant colors, which is a capability on all consoles?

None of what I mentioned are exorbitant requests in my eyes. Redoing textures, improving weather effects, 60FPS like some folks want, those are a little bit taller order than a full 16:9 Presentation.

You remember those rumors years ago about nigh-complete ports for Shenmue for 360 or PS3(whichever) but never saw the light of day for reasons unknown(at least to me)?

I'm starting to think these are those and that extra 30% to completion is just them coding for new hardware.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jibby » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:19 pm

Reprise wrote:
That's also true and a good point. But then none of Sega's 'remasters' have ever been particularly mind blowing either (happy to be corrected on that, if I'm missing some that were?), so all I'm saying is perhaps it wouldn't be that surprising if there aren't many changes or additions to the games (and Sega have never indicated there would be) and perhaps those who are quick to criticise or request new features should temper their expectations.

I thought that SEGA's Sonic Adventure 2 remaster was fantastic. It was crisp, HD widescreen and they even brought back the online features from the Dreamcast version. But I digress, I think that we're in for a solid remaster; the game is in good hands (d3t are pretty a pretty reputable company) and SEGA are obviously passionate about it. Do I expect a huge amount of changes? No, but I still think we're going to get the definitive version of Shenmue, that's for sure.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Jibby » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:22 pm

Valascaziel wrote:This is 2018. Every TV is widescreen and to me, this exudes laziness if the rest of the game is done in a 16:9 ratio. It is going to be a jarring effect and I don't buy the "it keeps nostalgic charm". The whole GAME does that, honestly and would have that charm in a 16:9 scale entirely.

You're basing this off of pure speculation and as of yet unconfirmed information. We have no indication that 4:3 will make it into the final game.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release