Concerns about Shenmue HD.

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Concerns about Shenmue HD.

Postby BlueMue » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:18 pm

Well the issue with the DMC menus were the CG video backgrounds. Same deal that limited the Resident Evil Remake Rerelease. Can't just extend the visible area like with realtime graphics obviously. There are of course ways to fill the screen but they include stretching or cropping.

I don't recall any instance in a cutscene in Shenmue where something really messy happened during a cutscene with the widescreen hacks. In II there is the occasional hiccup with character animations and placement but it's really no big deal at all. It's actually a lot less worrying than Shenmue even. All they have to do is change the FoW and "zoom" in the cutscenes so they fill the screen. No loss in quality and no glitches to worry about it done so. Just need to crop a tiny little amount on the sides as the black bars are actually 1.85:1 like movies and not the usual 1.78:1 style 16:9.

Please just wait and see how all the features for chosing the resolution surface instead of panicking.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby King John Blaze » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:59 pm

I have little to no doubt that a few junior modders could creative a better version of this game than Sega is doing. I longed for Shenmue 3 for so long, perhaps too long, as when it was announced I was hoping that it will be the last game in the series so I can close this chapter in my life.

When this got announced, the lack of excitement was telling. I just knew, even before I watched the trailer, that Sega was going to do a shit job of it. Main concerns

- No graphical upgrade which will essentially mean that only Shenmue fans will be getting this
- Outdated gameplay. Was a great game, still has a fantastic story but think back on it the controls are clunky
- That it will sell poorly, as with Shenmue 3, and it we will be left waiting for a conclusion yet again. Only this time it doesn't get released.
King John Blaze
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby King John Blaze » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:03 pm

BlueMue wrote: Well the issue with the DMC menus were the CG video backgrounds. Same deal that limited the Resident Evil Remake Rerelease. Can't just extend the visible area like with realtime graphics obviously. There are of course ways to fill the screen but they include stretching or cropping.

I don't recall any instance in a cutscene in Shenmue where something really messy happened during a cutscene with the widescreen hacks. In II there is the occasional hiccup with character animations and placement but it's really no big deal at all. It's actually a lot less worrying than Shenmue even. All they have to do is change the FoW and "zoom" in the cutscenes so they fill the screen. No loss in quality and no glitches to worry about it done so. Just need to crop a tiny little amount on the sides as the black bars are actually 1.85:1 like movies and not the usual 1.78:1 style 16:9.

Please just wait and see how all the features for choosing the resolution surface instead of panicking.

I've never seen a situation where a company announces a game and post announcement there is a significant change in graphics, especially when they the announcement comes within a year of the game being released. Been told not to panic when it came to Halo 3, Mass Effect and others. unfortunately, the people at Sega are not as intelligent and/or caring as you are. They will literally changed the buttons icons around and that will pretty much be it.
King John Blaze
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Reprise » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:16 pm

I really, REALLY hope they don't add a modern map system with waypoints and objective markers. I don't think they will... I hope.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:24 pm

King John Blaze wrote: I have little to no doubt that a few junior modders could creative a better version of this game than Sega is doing. I longed for Shenmue 3 for so long, perhaps too long, as when it was announced I was hoping that it will be the last game in the series so I can close this chapter in my life.

When this got announced, the lack of excitement was telling. I just knew, even before I watched the trailer, that Sega was going to do a shit job of it. Main concerns

- No graphical upgrade which will essentially mean that only Shenmue fans will be getting this
- Outdated gameplay. Was a great game, still has a fantastic story but think back on it the controls are clunky
- That it will sell poorly, as with Shenmue 3, and it we will be left waiting for a conclusion yet again. Only this time it doesn't get released.

Maybe you should go read up on the details about this, considering you don't even know a new control scheme is being included or that textures have been improved (skybox in the original Shenmue is the most notable one so far).

If you wanted a remake, tough. The junior modders comment is ignorant, though.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: Reprise, VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Niowiad » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:25 pm

Reprise wrote: I really, REALLY hope they don't add a modern map system with waypoints and objective markers. I don't think they will... I hope.

Ah... to me that's one of the worst things that ever happened to videogames.
Especially the Elder Scrolls series was heavily affected by this.

Niowiad has received a thanks from: Elevensixty
Niowiad
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Technophilz » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:35 pm

I am glad that we'll finally get to play Shenmue I & II on modern hardware. The released teaser made me a bit concerned about the quality of those ports though.
The most outdated aspect of Shenmue & Shenmue II imho is their clunky controls, which will be improved in the new ports. I wish they could've remade the two games with more improvements instead of simply porting them with minor visual and control tweaks, but again I'll take it as it is .. at least I won't be annoyed by the very noisy Dreamcast lens while playing them anymore.
Last edited by Technophilz on Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Technophilz has received a thanks from: darksniper
Technophilz

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Postby Jibby » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:41 pm

A remake was never going to happen. I don't think anyone ever expected that.

It's also a WIP trailer so expect improvements in the visuals before release.

Jibby has received a thanks from: Reprise
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby TheThirdComing » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:51 pm

I never even wantd a REMAKE, all the nuances of Yokosuka would just be lost. I want Shenmue 1 & 2 as they are just with a resolution bump & Widescreen presentation! Heard the controls may be altered, not issues with that.

Something to the equivalent of Final Fantasyx/x-2 & xXII's Remastering would be ideal :)

TheThirdComing has received 4 thanks from: Elevensixty, Jibby, Niowiad, Reprise
TheThirdComing

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Peter » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:55 pm

Riku Rose wrote:
Peter wrote:Not that i can explain as to why, but i also feel the footage is old. Why do they do that? With Shenmue 3 i know for an absolute fact that the teaser we seen was old and nowhere near representative of where they are at today (see latest images), and I get the vibe this is the exact same thing. Is this common practice in video game promotion or something?

Normally it’s the opposite with the promotion looking a lot better then the final game. The Gearbox Alien game is the most famous but Ubisoft have done it with at least one game every E3 for about 5 years now showing something super impressive looking only for it to be very downgraded at release.

My main concern is the release date. I think that after August they will loose a lot of people who buy it out of curiosity as the big games start coming out.

I also move to America August 3rd and won’t have a PS4 on me and it’s not the top of my list of things I need to get. If it doesn’t come out before then I imagine it could be quite awhile before I play it.

Shit Riku congrats on moving to America.

Yea i thought the opposite too. I dont get it at all.

As for the release date, ive heard rumors so dont take this as gospel, but it could be released in August.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby vnisanian2001 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:57 pm

The first 3DO trailer for Policenauts from Fall 1994 showed clips from the original PC-9821 version. They said in the trailer that all images were a work in progress.

Ergo, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same deal here.
vnisanian2001

Postby shredingskin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:58 pm

BlueMue wrote:All they have to do is change the Fov and "zoom" in the cutscenes so they fill the screen.

That's a stupidly clever approach.

EDIT: TBH it's weird, I think that most of us that have played Shenmue on Demul knows that it can look a lot better than what they have shown, without having the overhead of having to be emulation and with higher quality (at least uncompressed) assets it should look great.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Jibby » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:30 pm

shredingskin wrote: TBH it's weird, I think that most of us that have played Shenmue on Demul knows that it can look a lot better than what they have shown, without having the overhead of having to be emulation and with higher quality (at least uncompressed) assets it should look great.

They're probably focusing their efforts on getting the game running well first. Doubt it's an easy task getting code written for a Dreamcast to function well natively on modern day hardware. After that I imagine they'll sort out the visual side of it.

Jibby has received 2 thanks from: Kirino_Matsuyama, Reprise
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kirino_Matsuyama » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:13 pm

Did Adam play the PC version of Shenmue, and if so please can he confirm if it has dual audio?

I'm asking this because the Steam community are worried that they will only get the English audio version because that’s how it is listed on Steam.
Kirino_Matsuyama
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:37 pm

Kirino_Matsuyama wrote: Did Adam play the PC version of Shenmue, and if so please can he confirm if it has dual audio?

I'm asking this because the Steam community are worried that they will only get the English audio version because that’s how it is listed on Steam.

Uh... both languages are listed on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/758330/Shenmue_I__II/

In the right hand bar, in the Languages block. Full audio in English and Japanese.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release