Nice to have Features for HD Release

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Nice to have Features for HD Release

Postby myshtuff » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:10 pm

I wonder what theyll do about Coke or any other real world companies that were in the games. Are we going back to Bellwood cola?
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby GYO6161 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:13 pm

Uncensored S2 would be good, Yuan's voice, the tape recorder scene, ect
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Gen » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:18 pm

Spaghetti wrote: I have a fairly modest wishlist. Texture filtering, anti-aliasing, and shadowing for buildings. I'll even take shadowing in Shenmue II only if it comes to it.

This.

My number one wish for SHD was 60 FPS but I realize that's unlikely to happen, and might even be impossible for them to implement. I do think that better quality audio and music is not unreasonable to expect if Sega still have the original files. I also hope they don't overdo the bloom like they did with S2X.

Interestingly, I compared the zoom-in on Shenua with the original and they seem to have updated textures for the eyes. In the original she looks straight into the camera, and in the trailer she looks past the camera. The image also looks stretched although it's presented as 4:3.
Gen
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:20 pm

myshtuff wrote: I wonder what theyll do about Coke or any other real world companies that were in the games. Are we going back to Bellwood cola?

Ryo's watch doesn't appear to be TIMEX anymore, and you can see the Bellwoods machine in the background of the shot at the harbour in the trailer. I think all the licensed stuff is gone.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby KidMarine » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:21 pm

myshtuff wrote: I wonder what theyll do about Coke or any other real world companies that were in the games. Are we going back to Bellwood cola?

Even if all the licensed stuff is removed I guarantee modders will have them back in the PC version in no time at all.

KidMarine has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby myshtuff » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:26 pm

Oh well. I'll take some jet cola I guess. Another thing I thought of was bringing the bicycle back in. That would be sweet.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby johnvivant » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:01 pm

-Passport features, (cutscene viewer, stats, music, talking heads, characer bios ect.
-Whats shenmue playable demo
-interviews with original developers
-uncompressed audio
-full Shenmue Premiere event bonus video
-Shenmue Saturn version bonus footage
- concept art viewer
- unlock the bicycle when you complete the game (S1)
- in-game checklist for the capsule toys, tapes
-retained licensing
- all the shenmue 2 bonus content and mini games collections, and battles (play from the menu)
- S1 70 man battle menu option time trial (from disk 3)
-retain the authentic weather option in S1 (i'm sure they will)

thats all i can think of for now
Last edited by johnvivant on Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

johnvivant has received 2 thanks from: khmlight3, VukBZ2005
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Jibby » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:05 pm

I think I enjoy the game more with the fictional juice brands anyway to be honest.
The Coca-Cola branding was cool for realism, but product placement is product placement and it's a form of advertising I'm not hugely keen on. It never quite felt right when I played a version with the real world brands.

Jibby has received 3 thanks from: iyapol, Reprise, Spaghetti
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby yuc02 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:19 pm

uncompressed audio definitely. As a personal nice-to-have, the ability to play in first person mode and use PC mouse controls for the camera view, so I can play in VR :)

Oh and online forklift racing!
yuc02

PSN: yuc2002

Postby Superrayman3 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:37 pm

Here's my list:

1. Uncompressed voices in Shenmue I is a must, SEGA shouldn't skimp out and use the files that were compressed for the Dreamcast release and make sure that the audio mixing is right (I actually addressed an issue I had with the PS3 JSR rerelease where from time to time the voices/SFX would sound far away or something along those lines because the audio is I believe 5.1 at least that's the impression I have but it wasn't designed with normal HDMI audio output in mind and I'm a bit concerned that this release is going to suffer from the same mistake).

2. If possible a fully playable version of Chapter 2 instead of the manga version (I'd love to be able to kick Chai's butt again on the way to Hong Kong).

3. Options to allow both the original 4:3 aspect ratio and a 16:9 version for newer TV's (or if you want to experience Shenmue in a different way, I'm pretty sure this is an already announced feature but I'm posting it anyway just to be safe).

4. Playable Saturn Shenmue prototype, it'd be nice to see what Suzuki-san and AM2 were pulling off with the Saturn hardware towards the end of the systems life, also next year marks the 20th Anniversary of the Shenmue series in Japan so it'd be the perfect opportunity to do something like that in commemoration of that milestone.

5. An optional subtitle track containing a direct translation of the Japanese audio track for Shenmue I (II already has subs for the original Japanese voices thanks to the PAL DC version so hopefully they'll include an optional subtitle track containing that version as a subtitle option as well for the purists which also makes me wonder something, how are they going to handle Yuan on the Japanese audio side of things, English is a given, but the Japanese side gets a bit more murky because the original Japanese release has Yuan portrayed as a cross dressing man, the PAL DC version on the other hand has the character portrayed as a woman, with this in mind it'd gonna be interesting to see what SEGA decides to do, this also applies to that recorded call that was changed on disc 3 for the PAL DC release when compared to the same call on the Japanese DC release), if they're gonna offer us the original Japanese audio I'd prefer to have a proper translation to go along with it (II I'm not too worried about I is what has me concerned), and it's also needed because too much of the dialogue was changed for the U.S. release so a proper translation is pretty much a necessity.

6. Shenmue Passport not much needs to be said here give us the Shenmue passport as well and the complete experience will be available to the world.

Superrayman3 has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Superrayman3
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue 0.400

Postby Batosai » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:57 pm

Agree with all the above, wouldn't mind a cut-scene viewer with option to have a continuous playback of all as a feature film using in game engine rather then video encode of DVD bundled with Shenmue 2 on XBOX
Batosai
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby VukBZ2005 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:26 am

Jibby wrote: I think I enjoy the game more with the fictional juice brands anyway to be honest.
The Coca-Cola branding was cool for realism, but product placement is product placement and it's a form of advertising I'm not hugely keen on. It never quite felt right when I played a version with the real world brands.

Some people like hyper-realism in that sense, i.e., having brands like Coca-Cola in Shenmue. It can be a truly immersive experience for them. It can also get them in the game seriously.
VukBZ2005
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: VukBZ2005
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PS4) ;)

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:03 am

Training with Fuku-san everytime.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby darksniper » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:39 am

Lots and lots of bloom for Shenmue II. More bloom than we can handle!!!
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Tosh » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:21 am

i'm german and it was always strange for me, that Shenmue 2 had a translated start menu and notebook but everything else was in english. it was a really weird combination. i hope they will translate the whole thing now. and it would be nice to have the original "uncensored" content and voices in better audio quality.

maybe the japanese PS4 version gets the original licenses and "uncensored" content?
Tosh
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release