PC Version Modding

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

PC Version Modding

Postby Centrale » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:46 pm

I'd like to discuss potential mods for the PC version of Shenmue I & II HD. At this point I really don't know what will be possible, but my hopes include everything from texture swaps to VR.

Personally I don't have much experience with modding, but I'm a 3D Generalist professionally so I'd like to be involved somehow!
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: PC Version Modding

Postby Senpai Gamer » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:03 pm

Now this is kind of a crazy idea. But would it be possible to carry out the type of modding that the folks over at GTAForums do? Meaning perhaps we could combine the Maps of Shenmue 1+2 all into one map. This would only work on the PC version im guessing but would it be possible? I now its pointless but having the entirety of Shenmue 1 and 2 on one big map with the story working alongside it would be awesome. maybe im asking for something that is uncessarry but im just curious and find the concept cool.

Also what about adding bikes into the HD ports? from what i remember, someone was modding a useable bike into Shenmue 1 IRRC. Would doing such a thing be easier on the PC port of both games? And this next one is abit extreme, but what about total conversion mods, where we add a new story essentially set in both maps? And a even further stretch would be to make a Shenmue 1 remake on PC?....yeah i am thinking wayyy to much.

Those are just some ideas. Some that are possible and some that are insane to think about.
Senpai Gamer
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Dragon Quest IX

Postby Jibby » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:26 pm

Senpai Gamer wrote: Now this is kind of a crazy idea. But would it be possible to carry out the type of modding that the folks over at GTAForums do? Meaning perhaps we could combine the Maps of Shenmue 1+2 all into one map. This would only work on the PC version im guessing but would it be possible? I now its pointless but having the entirety of Shenmue 1 and 2 on one big map with the story working alongside it would be awesome. maybe im asking for something that is uncessarry but im just curious and find the concept cool.

Senpai Gamer wrote:Would doing such a thing be easier on the PC port of both games? And this next one is abit extreme, but what about total conversion mods, where we add a new story essentially set in both maps? And a even further stretch would be to make a Shenmue 1 remake on PC?....yeah i am thinking wayyy to much.

I think you'd hit engine limitations before being able to do things that ambitious.

Senpai Gamer wrote:Also what about adding bikes into the HD ports? from what i remember, someone was modding a useable bike into Shenmue 1IRRC.

That's an interesting one actually. I'm no modder, but the bike mod could actually be feasible on the PC considering the progress that was made on the Dreamcast version.

Jibby has received a thanks from: Senpai Gamer
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:27 am

As a long time PC game modder who's worked on many projects and games over the years: no idea what will be possible until we install the game. There will be texture mods, though. Sweet, sweet texture mods.

An aside: I have a friend who works for Rockstar games and we used to mod games together; we grew up together and I used to work for his web design company before he closed it to work for them. He's not a developer, though.

Just thought I'd mention that so I could sound more knowledgeable since I know a guy who works for Rockstar games to give my post more... gravitas.
Wude-Tang Clan
Master of the Three Blades

Postby OL » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:44 am

Nude mod.
Also, Chai as a teletubby. It was terrifying in Left 4 Dead.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby fischkopf » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:37 am

Custom high-res textures would be great, but what would be amazing is if there was a way to modify the character models and level geometry.
fischkopf
Asia Travel Representative

Postby ShenGCH » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:00 am

An NPC randomiser with each new save file. It'll be like playing the game for the first time all over again, except with dementia :)
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby JPZ » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:35 am

I think if there were any minor issues, like less signs or details, this could at least be easily fixed with a mod.

Looking forward to the texture upgrades too :)
JPZ

Currently playing: Metal Gear Solid V

Postby myshtuff » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:26 am

OL wrote: Nude mod.
Also, Chai as a teletubby. It was terrifying in Left 4 Dead.

If I saw a nude Chai jumping off a roof to defeat me, I'd fucking run for the hills.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby jasonorme666 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:37 am

I have done a lot of game development and modding in my time and It's one of those things where until you know how it's made, and with what tools/engine, it's impossible to gauge the possibilities.

Textures are the easiest one, but then again, if the in-game textures are capped in some way, then while changing them would be possible, it would only be with other low rez blurry textures.
jasonorme666

Postby ShenmueTree » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:51 pm

At the very least we might be able to restore original product placement licensing with a texture pack but others are correct, depending on the engine and the DRM implementation we'll not know how the true modding potential until it releases.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release