Shenmue HD Announcement = Better Chance for Shenmue 4?

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Shenmue HD Announcement = Better Chance for Shenmue 4?

Postby Telekill » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:30 pm

Sega has officially done what many of us didn't think they would actually ever do; announce Shenmue HD Collection.

With that, and watching the Sega live stream of the announcement, it seems that at least Sega EU is very excited that Shenmue is back in action.; the marketing guy even had a replica of Ryo's jacket on. Does this mean that Sega is once again on the Shenmue train and if so does that mean that Shenmue 4 is a far greater possibility then even a year ago?

I've been concerned since Suzuki stated Shenmue 3 wouldn't be the ending that we would get stuck in the same position that we fans have been in since we completed Shenmue 2... no continuation or end to the story. With Shenmue HD being on three of the four major platforms, I'm sure Shenmue will see far more success than it did when it was tied to the Dreamcast only. Now it seems that it's not solely contingent on Shenmue 3's success for Sega to green light the 4th and perhaps final game in the series.

What are your thoughts on this?
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Re: Shenmue HD Announcement = Better Chance for Shenmue 4?

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:54 pm

If HD and III do modestly well I can maybe see SEGA bringing YSnet into the fold and forming a partnership to make IV.

SEGA's current strategy is to reinvigorate old brands and create new ones. If this holds past Shenmue III's release and the sales are encouraging enough, they might decide to take a bigger interest in Shenmue's future.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:52 pm

The only way Sega will want to be involved in Shenmue IV is if they feel they can make money from it. They’ll only think that’s possible if 1&2 and 3 sell well.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:03 pm

It's definitely gonna increas our chances of getting S4. People who haven't played S1 and 2 being able to play both of them on the same systems S3 will be on is a huge point in favor of S3.

Just like Riku said, it boils down to S3's sales figures. But as of right now, I'd say it's highly likely for S4 to get off the ground if S3 sells well. Sega have a vital interest in the Shenmue brand, as they showed by announcing the HD ports.

If S3 does well, I think we may well see Sega funding or co-funding S4, be it as a pure Sega game, with Yu re-joining Sega or as a co-production between Sega and YSNet.

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby darksniper » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:12 am

Shenmue I and II is really what's going to be the key factor. The best part of the HD announcement is there will be a new wave of gamers who are going to feel what we've felt for years anticipating the release of Shenmue III. The more, the merrier when it comes to Shenmue III's sales. As soon as a new gamer beats Shenmue III, is another gamer who will be on #SaveShenmueIV campaign if it comes to that.

darksniper has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release