"5% of what he knows" says Adam Koralik?

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: "5% of what he knows" says Adam Koralik?

Postby Sappharad » Sun May 06, 2018 5:21 pm

Supa wrote:It was confirmed on Muecas that the motion was completed...maybe it is done and only cut because of disc space?

No, it definitely wasn't disc space. Disc 4 is the smallest disc of them all; if you downsample the 15 minute Shenmue 1 summary video a bit there's enough room for all of the voice acting without any downsampling on that and you can still fit the whole thing onto a standard 80-minute CD-R. Back in 2002 when I made my own English Dub for personal use before there was a public AHX encoder that's exactly what I did. It was nice to go from 3 discs of partially dubbed to the final disc being fully dubbed. (Note that I agree the Japanese acting was better, but I wanted to try the Dreamcast version in English)

There was another interview somewhere where they said the section was cut because it didn't fit or wasn't necessary for the flow of the game. (Or something like that)
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Rikitatsu » Mon May 07, 2018 11:14 am

Supa wrote: Kiyuu always said she thought it was from the river journey between Kowloon and Guilin. I think it was confirmed at some point as well by someone who worked on the game.

Also of interest: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12646&p=323102#p323102

It was confirmed on Muecas that the motion was completed...maybe it is done and only cut because of disc space? I hope there are a lot of extras included in this release, but I'm not holding my breath. It sounds like what they are doing already is pretty decent and honestly more than I expected.

Also: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12943

Chapter 2 might just be feasible... :-k I don't want to set myself up for disappointment, but if Yu and co. were in an advanced stage with Ch.2, then maybe d3t could've assembled it with supervision from Yu or/and AM2?
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mjq jazz bar » Mon May 07, 2018 11:38 am

Has anyone played any of the titles D3T is credited with? Specifically, the ports, not the originals.

What kinds of features do these games have that are above and beyond the original source material?

http://www.mobygames.com/company/d3t-ltd

I would measure my expectations against those releases.

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: Reprise
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Ceej » Mon May 07, 2018 12:15 pm

I really don't think it's realistic to expect anything as drastic as Chapter 2 or the bicycle to be added to these games. They're not even implementing a time skip into Shenmue I, which would be a very small addition in comparison to those things.
Ceej
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Mon May 07, 2018 12:16 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote:I would measure my expectations against those releases.

I wouldn't, personally. Shenmue represents a fairly unique challenge for D3T, and isn't really comparable to the titles on that list.

I feel the fact D3T does support work on AAA and "known" named games should be enough to acknowledge them as a safe pair of hands. Trying to pick into the minutia of their previous work (which would have been made under different conditions/restrictions/budget regardless) is over-analysis with this in mind.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mjq jazz bar » Mon May 07, 2018 1:00 pm

I'm suggesting ideas like a missing chapter being placed in the re-release or extra modes that weren't in the original releases doesn't seem likely based on what their portfolio looks like. Of course I don't know if that's true, but I'm very skeptical about the 5% figure meaning there's a whole load of new features coming to the games.

Of course, I'm always glad to be wrong when it comes to Shenmue.

mjq jazz bar has received 3 thanks from: dietsoap, Reprise, VukBZ2005
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Spaghetti » Mon May 07, 2018 1:20 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: I'm suggesting ideas like a missing chapter being placed in the re-release or extra modes that weren't in the original releases doesn't seem likely based on what their portfolio looks like. Of course I don't know if that's true, but I'm very skeptical about the 5% figure meaning there's a whole load of new features coming to the games.

Of course, I'm always glad to be wrong when it comes to Shenmue.

No, I agree in that case.

The boat section stuff is a pie-in-the-sky idea. Doesn't matter if the motion capture was done, a whole shitload of other stuff to make it functional could be unfinished or not even started, and it's only value would be to superfans who know about it. Same with the Miao Village too ultimately, even if it was much further along by comparison.

D3T's main goal is to get these games onto modern platforms with a fresh coat of paint. Stuff that was cut, will likely stay cut.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby life_247 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:25 pm

Dont know if this was posted up with regards to chapter 2:

The Cutting Room Floor

Q: I’ve heard that there was going to be a “Chapter 2 – The Boat” between Shenmue I and Shenmue II, but Shenmue II starts with Ryo disembarking from the boat, doesn’t it. And the mother of a little girl makes reference to something about that. (laughs)

Suzuki: That’s right. “Chapter 2 – The Boat” from the original scenario was dropped completely.

Matsukaze: Oh yeah, the boat! Actually Chai shows up there. It turns out that Chai survives being cast into Yokosuka harbor, and he shows up on the boat where Ryo fights against this unseen enemy. That was how the scenario was going to run.

Q: Were the scenes filmed?

Matsukaze: Yes, they were. They were filmed in a really over-the-top style. (laughs) Several of the people involved in the story on the boat were to then appear again in a later scenario. They would say something along the lines of “Oh, it’s you from that time on the boat...”, connecting the plot together. That was the plan for the scenario.

Suzuki: The confrontation with Chai would have made a nice situation. We had completed the designs for the boat interior, with everything detailed - from the escape routes and deck heights to the length of the handrails. The plan was that it would develop into a large-scale action scene.

Matsukaze: We completed filming of all the motion capture too. It started with opening the cabin door, and events developed spectacularly from there.

Q: So as you were working on making Shenmue II, you reluctantly had to cut it?

Suzuki: Well, it didn’t trouble me too much. I was like “It’s impossible, it won’t fit – cut it!”. (laughs)

I reckon Whats Shenmue could realistcially be on there and maybe some form of Saturn playable demo if the build was that far along. Otherwise I expect it to be a straight port with not a lot changed other than menus and some new control options. At the end of the day - if its not a Kiwami style remake other than boosting the resolution of bits and pieces do you really want them to touch the game that much??
life_247

Postby KiBa » Tue May 15, 2018 4:56 pm

Really reaching here, but it would be nice if the remasters included extra Saturn content, such as footage of the early demo Yu Suzuki mentioned in the "post mortem" a few years ago.

KiBa has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby darksniper » Tue May 15, 2018 5:06 pm

KiBa wrote: Really reaching here, but it would be nice if the remasters included extra Saturn content, such as footage of the early demo Yu Suzuki mentioned in the "post mortem" a few years ago.

I'd pay extra just to see all of the footage that was on the Saturn. Add that and the missing Daytona USA track to the forklift race would be great
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby south carmain » Wed May 16, 2018 4:37 am

I hope they include the secret gun in Kowloon.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby dietsoap » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:29 am

Less than two months from release now and it's still looking like a pretty straightforward HD port. Not that I have any issues with that, but jesus christ Adam.
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Reprise » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:23 pm

dietsoap wrote: Less than two months from release now and it's still looking like a pretty straightforward HD port. Not that I have any issues with that, but jesus christ Adam.

What were people expecting? It's a budget release (then again, so was the incredible Shadow of the Colossus remake I suppose) to get the games onto modern platforms.

The main things I have always wanted was dual audio options and a HD upgrade. I'm getting my wishes and more :)
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby dietsoap » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:27 pm

Reprise wrote:
dietsoap wrote: Less than two months from release now and it's still looking like a pretty straightforward HD port. Not that I have any issues with that, but jesus christ Adam.

What were people expecting? It's a budget release (then again, so was the incredible Shadow of the Colossus remake I suppose) to get the games onto modern platforms.

The main things I have always wanted was dual audio options and a HD upgrade. I'm getting my wishes and more :)
Personally a straightforward HD port is exactly what I'm expecting, I'm just taking issue with Adam's 5% statement.
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Valascaziel » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:51 pm

Seems he was just baiting for clicks and retweets.

Valascaziel has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release