No Time Skip In Shenmue I

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: No Time Skip In Shenmue I

Postby Benwah » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:16 pm

I don’t mind this too much, the only thing that bothers me is the perception newbies have coming to the game. I hope it doesn’t turn them off the Shenmue franchise. Don’t forget we need Shenmue 3 to sell well to ensure the 4th game and further are made.
User avatar
Benwah
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Mukdahan, Thailand
PSN: ThaiBenwah
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Ni No Kuni 2

Re: No Time Skip In Shenmue I

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:21 pm

That's a shame. Hopefully it has the save anywhere feature. Just to mitigate times where you'd be forced to wait overnight to progress if you failed a story challenge. Playing pool with the dock workers comes to mind..
You can find me at Tojo Dojo Forums along with Shenmue Dojo regulars!
User avatar
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III
 
Joined: February 2004
Location: UK

Re: No Time Skip In Shenmue I

Postby Ceej » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:38 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote: That's a shame. Hopefully it has the save anywhere feature. Just to mitigate times where you'd be forced to wait overnight to progress if you failed a story challenge. Playing pool with the dock workers comes to mind..


Shenmue technically did have a Save Anywhere feature (that made you shut the console off afterwards). I would imagine that would be converted to the actual save system for the HD version.
User avatar
Ceej
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades
 
Joined: January 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: No Time Skip In Shenmue I

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:44 pm

While I wouldn't use that feature myself, I think that it would actually be a kind of lazy decision not to include the time skip. It's something which is mandatory in "modern" gaming, in my opinion.

So, for myself, I don't care but for some people the Charlie part and some days at the harbour will be annoying. Then again, this is not an official statement from Sega or D3T, is it? It's just one website. They could be wrong.

I really do hope they'll include save anywhere for S1. I always make a point of kicking Chai's ass at the You Arcade but sometimes it takes me like 10 attempts to do so and I always hated having to reload and run all the way from Hazuki Residence to the You Arcade in S1, when I had lost the first Chai fight. Would be awesome to be able to save right in front of You Arcade.
Yu Suzuki & Sega: Dream Makers (Getting it Done)
User avatar
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"
 
Joined: June 2015

Re: No Time Skip In Shenmue I

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:04 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote: While I wouldn't use that feature myself, I think that it would actually be a kind of lazy decision not to include the time skip. It's something which is mandatory in "modern" gaming, in my opinion.

So, for myself, I don't care but for some people the Charlie part and some days at the harbour will be annoying. Then again, this is not an official statement from Sega or D3T, is it? It's just one website. They could be wrong.

I really do hope they'll include save anywhere for S1. I always make a point of kicking Chai's ass at the You Arcade but sometimes it takes me like 10 attempts to do so and I always hated having to reload and run all the way from Hazuki Residence to the You Arcade in S1, when I had lost the first Chai fight. Would be awesome to be able to save right in front of You Arcade.

I wish it was included. I saw it as bad game design, personally.

It's from a Sega spokesperson (also backed up by Adam K) so I'd take that as read..
You can find me at Tojo Dojo Forums along with Shenmue Dojo regulars!
User avatar
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III
 
Joined: February 2004
Location: UK

Re: No Time Skip In Shenmue I

Postby GYO6161 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:05 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote: While I wouldn't use that feature myself, I think that it would actually be a kind of lazy decision not to include the time skip. It's something which is mandatory in "modern" gaming, in my opinion.

So, for myself, I don't care but for some people the Charlie part and some days at the harbour will be annoying. Then again, this is not an official statement from Sega or D3T, is it? It's just one website. They could be wrong.

I really do hope they'll include save anywhere for S1. I always make a point of kicking Chai's ass at the You Arcade but sometimes it takes me like 10 attempts to do so and I always hated having to reload and run all the way from Hazuki Residence to the You Arcade in S1, when I had lost the first Chai fight. Would be awesome to be able to save right in front of You Arcade.

This tweet seems to further confirm it.
https://twitter.com/SEGA_Europe/status/ ... 1147527173
User avatar
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: September 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Re: No Time Skip In Shenmue I

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:09 pm

As far as the move may sound wise and admirable, it's a terrible decision imo.

The No-Time-Skip was, and still is a brilliant idea as itself, but Shenmue 1 world has no longer the material to captivate the modern player.

Will the fast loading attenuate the rough perception of it? I hope so.
User avatar
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: August 2014
Location: France
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Re: No Time Skip In Shenmue I

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:17 pm

Well, this decision kills any chance we had at gaining a big audience for the Shenmue series.

Not giving the choice is an idiotic decision, just like having to wait for 30-40 minutes of real life because of a 20 years old design decision is idiotic.

The remasters are a blessing to the fans, but they are also the biggest and only chance this series has to attract major interest from newcomers...
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: June 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: No Time Skip In Shenmue I

Postby mjq jazz bar » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:29 pm

So much negativity. Not that I’m surprised. Chill out, guys.

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: Reprise
User avatar
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: June 2015
PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Re: No Time Skip In Shenmue I

Postby Reprise » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:35 pm

Shenhua-Nani? wrote: Well, this decision kills any chance we had at gaining a big audience for the Shenmue series.

The remasters are a blessing to the fans, but they are also the biggest and only chance this series has to attract major interest from newcomers...


Did people still think this was going to happen? It could be an amazing remaster, done by a team going above and beyond, and it'll still be a fairly niche title...

Reprise has received 2 thanks from: BayStone, VukBZ2005
User avatar
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: March 2009
Location: somewhere deep in the UK...

Re: No Time Skip In Shenmue I

Postby punkmanced » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:40 pm

^ You all bring up some fair points.
The longtime fan in me is ecstatic that they’re keeping the game intact, allowing me to revisit Shenmue 1 as I remember it (more or less ;) )...but what about the modern player? How will he feel having to spend real time waiting in an outdated world? Interesting times ahead.

Well, the series has always been polarizing I suppose….looks like that’s another feature that will be kept ‘as is’ ;)
User avatar
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: May 2003
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: No Time Skip In Shenmue I

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:44 pm

Reprise wrote:
Shenhua-Nani? wrote: Well, this decision kills any chance we had at gaining a big audience for the Shenmue series.

The remasters are a blessing to the fans, but they are also the biggest and only chance this series has to attract major interest from newcomers...


Did people still think this was going to happen? It could be an amazing remaster, done by a team going above and beyond, and it'll still be a fairly niche title...


Are you asking me if i believe a series that never released for PlayStation, but instead was out 20 years ago for 2 relatively niche systems (NA Dreamcast players never even got the sequel)and that is so good it got resurrected 20 years later by sheer force of will of the fans, has a chance of becoming big?

Yes, I absolutely do.
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: June 2015
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: No Time Skip In Shenmue I

Postby BayStone » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:46 pm

The modern player issue is definitely a thing, sure, but if a game sort of wants to or at least seems to want you to do things in a certain way, then being able to time skip to get to the next important bit, when you want to, goes against that.

It goes against the mundanity, the thing the game tries to go for. It also destroys the juxtaposition between the mundanity and the non-mundanity.

Of course they broke this thing for S2, which leads to me to believe that the above rant isn't actually that important, or it is and they decided to break their own vision for gameplay purposes.

I don't know what to believe, but the whole time-skip thing has always rubbed be the wrong way. :D

EDIT: Also, what they could do is make the time-skipping at least contextually a little better. :-k
Last edited by BayStone on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
BayStone
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Finland
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: No Time Skip In Shenmue I

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:47 pm

punkmanced wrote: ^ You all bring up some fair points.
The longtime fan in me is ecstatic that they’re keeping the game intact, allowing me to revisit Shenmue 1 as I remember it (more or less ;) )...but what about the modern player? How will he feel having to spend real time waiting in an outdated world? Interesting times ahead.

Well, the series has always been polarizing I suppose….looks like that’s another feature that will be kept ‘as is’ ;)

I chuckled.
You can find me at Tojo Dojo Forums along with Shenmue Dojo regulars!
User avatar
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III
 
Joined: February 2004
Location: UK

Re: No Time Skip In Shenmue I

Postby Reprise » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:52 pm

Shenhua-Nani? wrote:
Are you asking me if i believe a series that never released for PlayStation, but instead was out 20 years ago for 2 relatively niche systems (NA Dreamcast players never even got the sequel)and that is so good it got resurrected 20 years later by sheer force of will of the fans, has a chance of becoming big?

Yes, I absolutely do.


I admire your optimism.

BayStone wrote:
EDIT: Also, what they could do is make the time-skipping at least contextually a little better. :-k


Have Ryo slip off to one of those seedy little bars with the women hanging outside, disappear with one and then re-emerge pulling the zip of his jeans up.
User avatar
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: March 2009
Location: somewhere deep in the UK...

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000-
ShenmueDojo.net