No Time Skip In Shenmue I

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: No Time Skip In Shenmue I

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:56 pm

Reprise wrote:
Shenhua-Nani? wrote: Well, this decision kills any chance we had at gaining a big audience for the Shenmue series.

The remasters are a blessing to the fans, but they are also the biggest and only chance this series has to attract major interest from newcomers...

Did people still think this was going to happen?

As the article says, there was a rumor anticipating that. I was sure to read the feature officially confirmed somewhere (on the Steam page?) but I couldn't find the mention again.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby BlueMue » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:10 pm

“We’ve tried to stay as close to the original feature sets in each game as possible, so Shenmue 1 will not have the time skip feature,”

This is actually very admirable. That they don't want to change things too much in order to honor the legacy.
Makes it sound like we won't be getting a save anywhere option either, though nothing definitive yet of course.

It think that feature is definaltey more important for newcomers. The system where the resume file deletes itself is really confusing in this day and age. If you can read it's not a big deal of course but I know of people that tried the game on emulators and didn't bother to read and they were baffled why the files were gone.

Hope they change at least this up a bit. The fact that they are redoing the controls shows that they know about the new player problems.

BlueMue has received 3 thanks from: Gen, Reprise, VukBZ2005
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rakim » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:16 pm

Not a big deal really. Just give me the game exactly as it was 20 years ago(wow I can't believe it's really been that long lol), with no new features, but on a more accessible platform and I'm happy. Anything else is bonus. Shenmue will still be a great game and an experience you can't get anywhere else.

The new generation of kids who will be playing Shenmue for the first time this Christmas are going to love it and hate it for the same reasons we did way back when. Would time skip be nice? Yeah. Is it gonna be a deal breaker for the types of young people who would play a slow-paced mystery game about traditional Chinese culture? No.

Only a minority of super nerds and people who already didn't like Shenmue are gonna whine about stuff like this not being implemented.

Rakim has received 2 thanks from: KidMarine, Reprise
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Senpai Gamer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:37 pm

Okay so there ISNT a time skip feature no biggie imo. But i hope and would LOVE to see a 2X speed increase for Ryo in both Shenmue 1 and 2. Like if you look at how Squeenix did it with FF 12ZA, they made it so that the speed of the character could be increased so its alot more faster and fluid.
Senpai Gamer
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Dragon Quest IX

Postby ShenGCH » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:45 pm

I've always said a time skip would be a decent feature to include for a remaster, but is it essential? Absolutely not. There's tonnes of stuff to do during down-time in the game; if it isn't to the taste of new players, that's their problem, whereas veterans know exactly what to expect and will make good use of that time.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shredingskin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:03 pm

Reprise wrote: Interesting... It's either a bold move or a lazy move. That said, I don't think it's a big deal, but I know others will disagree.

To me it kinda is.
I already know the game, I just boot it up again for the feel, or nostalgia about a certain part. almost all of the times when I play it now are with nulldc unlocked framerate so I can skip time or go faster to X place in the story.

In shenmue I the time that you have to waste can be frustrating for new players (well, for everyone), look at the first hours in Shenmue, if you have bad timing you might have to wait for the chinese eatery, you then have to wait for the barber to open, then for the bars to open, then another day to trigger the you arcade fight, then wait to the next day for the tatoo parlor to be availeable, then wait another whole day for the charlie ambush.
How much is that ? like half an hour ?
I understand trying to add some padding to the game, but now that there are 2 games it isn't needed IMO. And it can be quite frustrating.

It's sad you don't get the choice.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby ys » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:38 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote: ...
So, for myself, I don't care but for some people the Charlie part and some days at the harbour will be annoying.
I always hated having to reload and run all the way from Hazuki Residence to the You Arcade in S1, when I had lost the first Chai fight. Would be awesome to be able to save right in front of You Arcade.

Good point about the saving. And I don't care about skipping time either but I think that it's not very wise since some new players gave up because of this and never bothered to check out Shenmue 2.

Hoping for new fans isn't just about being optimistic either. Besides doing this for existing fans, Yu hopes to attract new fans with Shenmue 3 and had this in mind when designing the game. So a remaster that also follows this philosophy a bit improves the odds of new players continuing until Shenmue 3.

Yokosuka wrote: As far as the move may sound wise and admirable, it's a terrible decision imo.
The No-Time-Skip was, and still is a brilliant idea as itself, but Shenmue 1 world has no longer the material to captivate the modern player.
Will the fast loading attenuate the rough perception of it? I hope so.

Hopefully. With faster loading times people would likely check out more stores at least.

And Shenmue still has very unique elements. But as you said, back then, the graphics, just being able to walk around, visit an arcade to play games, call people etc. was new and more easily captivating.

Rakim wrote:Would time skip be nice? Yeah. Is it gonna be a deal breaker for the types of young people who would play a slow-paced mystery game about traditional Chinese culture? No.

I kind of agree about the type of player but have seen some who were into the game but got annoyed because of the waiting. Not all of them cared about playing arcade games.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Jibby » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:41 pm

I think if people get invested enough in the game to the point they actually reach a place where time skip would be useful, having to wait around a bit probably isn't going to convince them to stop playing.

Jibby has received a thanks from: Rakim
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenSun » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:49 pm

Personally, I think they should have given new players the option to skip time in shenmue 1. Most ppl who I know that didnt like Shenmue 1 were put off when you were forced to wait around. I think the major segment is the tattoo parlor and charlie.

Let's hope there is a save anywhere feature.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Centrale » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:58 pm

Adding some online leaderboard functionality to the arcade games would help players pass the time.

Centrale has received 2 thanks from: Martin, Niowiad
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:00 pm

Jibby wrote: I think if people get invested enough in the game to the point they actually reach a place where time skip would be useful, having to wait around a bit probably isn't going to convince them to stop playing.

All the sequence I talked about are just in the first hours of the game, most of the people will have to wait another day to talk to the barber, to get to that point you just need to talk to yamagishi san, nozomi, tom and the chinese cooks.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Jibby » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:23 pm

shredingskin wrote:
Jibby wrote: I think if people get invested enough in the game to the point they actually reach a place where time skip would be useful, having to wait around a bit probably isn't going to convince them to stop playing.

All the sequence I talked about are just in the first hours of the game, most of the people will have to wait another day to talk to the barber, to get to that point you just need to talk to yamagishi san, nozomi, tom and the chinese cooks.

Perhaps the first few hours for us, but for someone who's never played the game before, I imagine it'll take them a lot longer due to them exploring and being engrossed in the game world for the first time.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mrandyk » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:32 am

A lot of people calling this decision "admirable". My money says that Sega is too lazy to implement a time skip. They're adding zero features to the game that require any real work. It would be in everyone's best interest for them to add the time skip, but this is about getting some of the free money strolling by - not an attempt to help resurrect the series.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:53 am

You’re right. They probably don’t want to spend more money than they need to to implement features a few people would appreciate. Buy the game, tell your friends to buy the game, and then maybe Sega will feel like it’s a good investment to further support the Shenmue franchise. They’re a business driven by profit, not a Shenmue charity. I think they’ve shown they’re willing to listen, which is more than I expected from them in the past. This is what they’re offering us and I think it’s a lot better than the alternative. Now we have Shenmue 1 & 2 ported to three platforms, by a completely competent developer, and the full support of Sega. We’re even getting physical copies of the game. I think they’ve done a lot for us, even if the games aren’t as fully featured or upgraded as some would hope. I could only imagine the bloodcurdling screams if Sega had actually decided to upgrade graphics or anything else; the purists would never let us hear the end of it.
Last edited by mjq jazz bar on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Jibby » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:56 am

mrandyk wrote:They're adding zero features to the game that require any real work.

I wouldn't say that. They completely revamping the controls, redoing the UI from scratch as well as adding options for both Japanese and English audio. None of these things are exactly easy feats.

Jibby has received a thanks from: mjq jazz bar
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release