No Time Skip In Shenmue I

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: No Time Skip In Shenmue I

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:59 am

Does anyone else suspect that maybe Yu Suzuki would actually not want the time skip feature added to Shenmue 1. Maybe they’re just respecting his original vision? I don’t know. It’s a possibility. I also think it’s also just something that’s difficult to implement.

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: Reprise
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Jesse » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:15 am

I never expected a time skip for the first chapter so this isn't a shock to me. Now if it was being remade from scratch then I would expect that just to appease modern gamers.
Jesse
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby jasonorme666 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:55 am

I'm happy about it.
jasonorme666

Postby johnjohnbrem » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:23 pm

mrandyk wrote: A lot of people calling this decision "admirable". My money says that Sega is too lazy to implement a time skip. They're adding zero features to the game that require any real work. It would be in everyone's best interest for them to add the time skip, but this is about getting some of the free money strolling by - not an attempt to help resurrect the series.

So getting shenmue 1 & 2 hd and being able to play it on pc and ps4 and whatnot is not enough...We've got nothing to complain about really, a couple of years ago the idea of shen 1 & 2 HD and s3 being released, let alone on the same year, seemed ridiculous...
johnjohnbrem
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: PUBG

Postby Suzuki Yu » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:00 pm

i am fine with this, never was a fan.
but at the same time it was optional in SII.
Suzuki Yu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Enigma » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:20 pm

I'm fine with it. Sometimes the best bits of Shenmue 1 is the waiting where you would be forced to go explore the game world until that one shop finally opens, as you would do in real life. Feels more immersive.
Enigma
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: SWOTOR

Postby BlueMue » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:00 pm

I like to mention the facts about how the Beta of Shenmue technically has both a time skip option and save anywhere with the aid of its debug options. Not everyone knows about them so it might be interstings.

The save option brings up the regular menu where you select a file and save, just as one would expect. It just isn't 100% on the spot though as Ryo will be standing at an entrance point of the area he's in. NPCs also have to respawn wich can mess up their routines a bit.

The clock can be turned forward and back at 3 different speeds each at any point. This definatly messes up the NPC routines as they just can't keep up with their schedules and thus the streets will be very crowded and stores open with no one inside to attend it. These results are amusing in their own way but not something that should be seen normaly. Of course messing with the time whenever you like goes much further than skipping time in Shenmue II.

These examples shows where the problems are and why these features were ultimately easier to pull of Shenmue if not the only way to pull them of at all at the time. That is not to say that it's impossible to make this work properly with todays technology. The save files can be much much larger and include all the necessary locations and routine points of the NPCs as well as Ryo's of course.

The time skip wouldn't really mess up the NPCs the way they work in Shenmue II because you don't really see things moving about and the time will skip to the point where Ryo has to go to bed. Of course that means only points where Ryo has to wait for the next day are sure to work without issues but adding these would be enough.
Another approach to save some time would be to allow Ryo to advance time quickly in his bedroom until he can go to sleep. Or just make it possible to go to sleep whenever you want... though that approach really goes against the foundations of Shenmue.

BlueMue has received 4 thanks from: Amir, BayStone, Niowiad, Yokosuka
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Reprise » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:43 pm

Interesting, thanks for explaining that. I'm not too familiar with the beta and wasn't aware of any of that. So I wonder if because of how the first Shenmue handles people's schedules, they might have encountered similar problems whilst exploring adding a time skip feature (assuming they have even explored it - maybe it's just not something they want to do).
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mrandyk » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:19 pm

johnjohnbrem wrote:
mrandyk wrote: A lot of people calling this decision "admirable". My money says that Sega is too lazy to implement a time skip. They're adding zero features to the game that require any real work. It would be in everyone's best interest for them to add the time skip, but this is about getting some of the free money strolling by - not an attempt to help resurrect the series.

So getting shenmue 1 & 2 hd and being able to play it on pc and ps4 and whatnot is not enough...We've got nothing to complain about really, a couple of years ago the idea of shen 1 & 2 HD and s3 being released, let alone on the same year, seemed ridiculous...

I'm ecstatic that we're getting a physical release of Shenmue 1+2 on modern consoles. Just don't give Sega any credit for merely hopping on the gravy train. The fans and YS resurrected the series. Now Sega will cash in with a minimal effort.

I will play the hell out of this port, but I'm a fan of the original games already. Newcomers to the series will be looking to these ports to determine if they want to purchase Shenmue 3. The moment they are inundated with Shenmue 1's requirement of wasting time they will be turned off. That's a scenario that affects the future of Shenmue and should be a concern to everyone here.

mrandyk has received 2 thanks from: Pollito Diablo, Yokosuka
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mrandyk » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:27 pm

Jibby wrote:
mrandyk wrote:They're adding zero features to the game that require any real work.

I wouldn't say that. They completely revamping the controls, redoing the UI from scratch as well as adding options for both Japanese and English audio. None of these things are exactly easy feats.

Yes they are. The UI isn't complex, the audio files already exist, and they're just going to map the d-pad to the analog stick. Look to the features that others have requested for items that would require effort from the developer.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:40 pm

mrandyk wrote:
Jibby wrote:
mrandyk wrote:They're adding zero features to the game that require any real work.

I wouldn't say that. They completely revamping the controls, redoing the UI from scratch as well as adding options for both Japanese and English audio. None of these things are exactly easy feats.

Yes they are. The UI isn't complex, the audio files already exist, and they're just going to map the d-pad to the analog stick. Look to the features that others have requested for items that would require effort from the developer.

To be fair to Sega, this is exactly what people spent years campaigning for. Adam Koralik also said there are more things to come, so just try to chill out. I think this is way better than the alternative we were all looking at just a week ago, and I think I’m one of the more negative people on this forum. We now have two games the majority of Cbox One, PS4 and PC owners could not play, released before a highly anticipated sequel. I can’t see the negatives here.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Centrale » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:53 pm

mrandyk wrote:
I'm ecstatic that we're getting a physical release of Shenmue 1+2 on modern consoles. Just don't give Sega any credit for merely hopping on the gravy train. The fans and YS resurrected the series. Now Sega will cash in with a minimal effort.

Sega has already sunk anywhere from $40-70 million into this. Now they're investing more for these releases.

Centrale has received a thanks from: mjq jazz bar
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Hazuki00 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:31 am

mrandyk wrote:
johnjohnbrem wrote:
mrandyk wrote:
I will play the hell out of this port, but I'm a fan of the original games already. Newcomers to the series will be looking to these ports to determine if they want to purchase Shenmue 3. The moment they are inundated with Shenmue 1's requirement of wasting time they will be turned off. That's a scenario that affects the future of Shenmue and should be a concern to everyone here.

That's what worries me the most, I'm afraid newcomers playing Shenmue 1 will lose their intentions to buy Shenmue 3 because of the slow pace of Shenmue 1 and its little action.
Shenmue 2 enhanced Shenmue's 1 fails and I'm sure Shenmue 3 will be funnier and more "fluent" than its precesors.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Jibby » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:39 am

Why do people assume that newcomers will instantly dislike Shenmue because of its slower pace? Almost everybody I've introduced Shenmue to in real life has loved it despite having to wait around a bit.

On top of this, there's been a pretty big influx of relatively large streamers playing the game all whom that I've seen (+ their chat) have really enjoyed it. Heck, BrutalMoose even said it was one of his favourite games of all time after playing Shenmue I.

I don't think this is a big of an issue as people are making it out to be.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Hazuki00 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:08 am

Jibby wrote: Why do people assume that newcomers will instantly dislike Shenmue because of its slower pace? Almost everybody I've introduced Shenmue to in real life has loved it despite having to wait around a bit.

On top of this, there's been a pretty big influx of relatively large streamers playing the game all whom that I've seen (+ their chat) have really enjoyed it. Heck, BrutalMoose even said it was one of his favourite games of all time after playing Shenmue I.

I don't think this is a big of an issue as people are making it out to be.

Reading through forums today it's common to see people moaning about its slow pace and "It's a boring walking and talking simulator game". I understand there's a lot of trolls but we know Shenmue(1 above all) it's not for everybody.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release