Famitsu Article

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Famitsu Article

Postby Somaflux » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi there Allan, I know this is a really minor detail to ask about, but as an avid trophy hunter I'm curious if both games will have platinum trophies in the collection, or if it will be a shared list? I've preordered either way and look forward to the game's release- thank you for saving Shenmue!
Somaflux
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: Alos88
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Gromber » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:50 pm

MGS 2 and 3 have great 16:9 remaster in cinematics with option to remove black bars and are also old games, so i hope this studio can fix the game, they are game developers and have the source code.
Gromber
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:25 pm

d3tAllan wrote:We've ported the xbox version of Shenmue II so yes it does have stencil shadows.

Welcome. Interesting stuff.

I don't suppose you can talk about stuff like the bloom and motion blur featured in that version of the game? A lot of fans find both effects overdone in most cases, even if there's a good argument that the bloom at least really enhances the look of the game at night because of the neon signage, etc.

Also, how hard was it to port the game to modern platforms from the source code?

Spaghetti has received 3 thanks from: Gen, punkmanced, Reprise
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby BlueMue » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:45 pm

Allan, what are you doing checking out forums, wasting time that could be put into the developement? :lol:
No seriously, it is awesome that you check out this place and get in touch with the community!

I hope some of the feedback can still be applied to make Shenmue I & II a better experience overall for everyone.
In any case it is cool enough that you can give us some first hand insights. You really have a very important and iconic project on your hands and you can be proud of it!

BlueMue has received 3 thanks from: Anthony817, Telekill, VukBZ2005
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kiske » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:59 pm

d3tAllan wrote:
Amir wrote:
d3tAllan wrote: I'd say we're further along than 70%

Hi Allan, thanks for joining the forum! I'm not sure how much you're at liberty to say, but are you allowed to say how cutscenes will be presented in Shenmue II? Will they be letterboxed for people who select 4:3, and full widescreen for people who select 16:9?

Also, will the stencil/environment shadows from the Xbox version of Shenmue II be implemented at all? I only ever played the Dreamcast version and despite owning an Xbox never felt the urge to own the Xbox version of Shenmue II, but watching the DF Retro episode on the game, it was cool to see environmental shadows that I'd never seen before. Not a deal-breaker if they're not included, though.

Thanks!

I think its best I don't talk about 4:3 vs 16:9. All I will say is that for technical reasons parts of the game are currently limited to 4:3. If you play the game in an emulator with a widescreen hack you will see some of the issues.

We've ported the xbox version of Shenmue II so yes it does have stencil shadows.

Welcome to the Dojo Allan and thank you very much to you and d3t for giving us the opportunity to have a direct access to Shenmue 1&2 development. We are definitely very grateful for that!

If I may ask you more about the cutscenes aspect ratio, when you say "currently limited to 4:3" does that mean that you are working on solutions about that issue? Should the technical reasons prevent a clean coherent display in 16:9, do you envisage to include an option to choose the aspect ratio despite the result not being perfect?
Also, are those technical reasons limited to Shenmue 1 or do some Shenmue 2 cutscenes have the same issue?

Thank you very much for your availability and sorry to welcome you with so many questions.
As you can imagine, the announcement of Shenmue 1&2 just made us fans over-excited for the future of the series!
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby aries » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:46 pm

d3tAllan wrote:
We've ported the xbox version of Shenmue II so yes it does have stencil shadows.

It is probably too much to ask, but I would love if you were able to take the best of both versions and combine. The Dreamcast one has more textures and geometry in places ... Little details like more street signs and stuff make the Dreamcast version the better looking one to me.

Here you can see good examples of stuff just missing or having reduced detail on Xbox.
http://shenmuedojo.net/new/extras/s2xbo ... mcast.html

Especially things like the radiators basically being glitched into the mesh they should be sitting on would be a shame to have implemented like that.

Not to mention the overbearing heavy bloom.

aries has received 7 thanks from: Amir, Anthony817, dietsoap, Gromber, Reprise, Stromer, VukBZ2005
aries
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Sappharad » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:04 pm

For what it's worth, I'm glad someone from d3t has reached out to the community. But I hope he doesn't get in trouble for it, since that kind of thing is borderline risky from an NDA standpoint.

When Christian Whitehead and co were working on Sonic Mania, Christian would occasionally confirm minor non-gameplay details like he mentioned the CRT filters before they were officially shown. But with Mania Plus the whole team has been completely silent, probably because Stealth from Headcannon confirmed on Steam that Denuvo DRM wasn't something they wanted in the PC version of the game and Sega of Europe added it themselves. (The post was later deleted)

I hope some of the fan feedback ends up getting considered at some level though. It seems like the two most common pieces of feedback are the same ones I'd like to see resolved too. Reverting the geometry / transparency cuts that had to be made for Xbox Shenmue 2 and offering the option to have cutscenes always 16x9 are my biggest hopes. Maybe the efforts they made to port Shenmue 1 would give them some tricks to handle 2's original assets better? And since editing cutscenes is probably too much work, maybe the few scenes that don't work expanded to 16x9 could have the camera zoomed so you lose some detail from the bottom but the sides would be fine then?

Sappharad has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby dietsoap » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:12 pm

aries wrote:
d3tAllan wrote:

It is probably too much to ask, but I would love if you were able to take the best of both versions and combine. The Dreamcast one has more textures and geometry in places ... Little details like more street signs and stuff make the Dreamcast version the better looking one to me.

Here you can see good examples of stuff just missing or having reduced detail on Xbox.
http://shenmuedojo.net/new/extras/s2xbo ... mcast.html

Especially things like the radiators basically being glitched into the mesh they should be sitting on would be a shame to have implemented like that.

Not to mention the overbearing heavy bloom.

Thanks for bringing this up and posting that link aries. Some of those texture changes too are just such a shame.
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby aries » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:19 pm

I think d3tallan posting here shows that he really cares to get some input. :) There are aspects like the differences in geometry, textures, glass or some glitchy graphics on Xbox he may not even have been aware of. It took fans to really put both versions side by side to make out all the differences, I imagine it would be harder for a programmer who is not that much of a hardcore fan to see.

You see it all the time that people just assume the Xbox version is simply "better" with no cutbacks.

I understand there are limits in schedule and viability. But his posting here gives me hope. In the end, this is a pretty big thing, and the way this collection turns out will probably be the way most people will onow Shenmue for many years to come. A big responsibility for a high profile classic, and one I imagine a studio will want to turn out as good as possible. You probably want to be seen more like Bluepoint with their remasters than like the guys who did the Silent Hill Collection. :)
aries
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby The_Fuzileiro » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:40 pm

Greetings from Brazil Allan! Could you say why did you guys decide to not include the time-skip feature in shenmue I ?

Nice to have you at the Dojo man!
The_Fuzileiro
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Centrale » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:03 pm

dietsoap wrote:Thanks for bringing this up and posting that link aries. Some of those texture changes too are just such a shame.

It's not just cut and dried in favor of the DC version, though. In some instances the DC version is better. But many of those Xbox examples in the link are improvements over the DC version. Fixing the Out Run texture and the Rockola badge on the jukebox, for example. Others are kind of a wash either way.

Centrale has received a thanks from: Amir
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Supa » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:32 pm

Allan, I would just like to say thank you to you and d3t for their work on this project. It is much appreciated!
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby brad86 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:10 am

***Mod note: This was proven false on the following pages. Please keep reading***

Hello Allan. Thank you very much for interacting with us.
You will probably get countless posts about fixing up the XBOX versions texture issues and horrid bloom, but that is because a lot of us are very passionate about the original Dreamcast game. There are some glaring geometry issues with the XBOX game.

Also, the aspect ratio is wrong in the remaster. You're most likely already aware, but just in case...

brad86 has received 3 thanks from: dietsoap, Gen, Yokosuka
brad86
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby dietsoap » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:23 am

brad86 wrote: Hello Allan. Thank you very much for interacting with us.
You will probably get countless posts about fixing up the XBOX versions texture issues and horrid bloom, but that is because a lot of us are very passionate about the original Dreamcast game. There are some glaring geometry issues with the XBOX game.

Also, the aspect ratio is wrong in the remaster. You're most likely already aware, but just in case...

Wow, good catch. I did not notice this at all. I knew something looked strange when I saw the heartbreaker pic, but I couldn't tell what it was. This is it.
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Gen » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:27 am

brad86 wrote: Hello Allan. Thank you very much for interacting with us.

Interesting. I noticed that the 4:3 scenes in the trailer were stretched and was a bit puzzled by that, but didn't look at the screens in detail. I wonder if the trailer and the screens are from a recent build or represent early testing.
Gen
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release