Famitsu Article

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Famitsu Article

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:15 am

Famitsu have a two page article on the game. I know we have a few people who like to translate this stuff and there may be some new info included.

https://s.famitsu.com/news/201804/17155759.html

Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Re: Famitsu Article

Postby Hyo Razuki » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:47 pm

Gamefront.de, one of the best video game news outlets in Germany have a short summary of the Famitsu article. I'll give you guys a quick translation of it.

Shenmue I & II mit moderner und klassischer Steuerung / Gameplay-Szenen 16:9
18.04.18 - Der Fertigungsstand von Shenmue I & II (PS4, Xbox One) bei Sega und d3t beträgt 70 Prozent. Das schreibt die neueste Famitsu.

Weiter heißt es, dass das Spiel eine moderne und klassische Steuerung besitzen wird. Bei der modernen Steuerung bewegt sich Held Ryo mittels linkem Analogstick, bei der klassischen Steuerung bewegt er sich mit dem Digitalkreuz.

In normalen Gameplay-Sequenzen wird das Bild beim Spielen im 16:9 Verhältnis gezeigt. Event-Szenen werden hingegen weiterhin im Original 4:3 Verhältnis dargestellt, heißt es in dem Bericht werden. Release: 2018 (Europa)

Shenmue 1 & 2 with modern and classic controls/gameplay scenes 16:9

Shenmue 1 & 2, at Sega and D3t is about 70% complete, says the latest Famitsu issue.

Furthermore, the article says the game will have a modern and a classic control scheme. In the modern control scheme, the hero Ryo will be moved by the left analog stick, whereas in the classic control scheme he will be moved by the d-pad.

In regular gameplay sequences, the picture will be displayed in 16:9. Event scenes (cutscenes) however, will be kept in the original 4:3 proportions.

Just a quick translation of a translation by myself. Hope I could help you guys out.

Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Jibby » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:02 pm

I would question if they are basing this off of what we've seen so far like many people here are doing, or if they have independently confirmed this from the source.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby johnvivant » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:51 pm

yeah its better to wait for the Switch translation to see whether these facts were confirmed by sega/developers, and not just an observation based on the wip build they played.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby punkmanced » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:00 pm

Jibby wrote: I would question if they are basing this off of what we've seen so far like many people here are doing, or if they have independently confirmed this from the source.

Perhaps, but then again wouldn't it be weird for a reputable magazine like Famitsu to start throwing around random facts and figures (70%) if they weren't confirmed on some level?
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Jibby » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:05 pm

punkmanced wrote:
Perhaps, but then again wouldn't it be weird for a reputable magazine like Famitsu to start throwing around random facts and figures (70%) if they weren't confirmed on some level?

I addressed that in another thread, but will copy and paste here too:

Jibby wrote: Who really knows what that '70%' figure entails. We don't know if it's an arbitrary figure given on a whim or if they are really are that close to completion. We also don't know factors such as how old the material we've seen is or where Famitsu is getting this info from. There's a lot of things we still need to consider.

I'm not going to defend a decision to include 4:3 elements if that does turn out to be the case, but it's not yet impossible that full 16:9 will be implemented if it hasn't already been.

I mean, it could even be an estimation by Famitsu. We don't have a full translation yet.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:14 pm

At Japanese game shows it’s commonplace at a booth to display a percentage of how far developed a game is. We don’t see it at things like E3 but they do it at TGS so with this being announced at a show I imagine a Sega rep has given them this number.

With so many cogs in the machine with modern games many developers just make it up with a rough guess while some actually look into it.

The director of Final Fantasy XV director kept saying the percentage of how far the game was from being finished and over a year it only increased 10% to about 70% and was out not long after.

TLDR: Japanese game studios like to tell people how far along their games are.
Last edited by Riku Rose on Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:15 pm

If D3T are looking to talk with the community about the development process, I'll wait for elaboration from the horse's mouth before calling "time" on this 4:3/16:9 thing, and at least try to understand if they have an explanation.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenmueTree » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:17 pm

Man, it's so surreal to see Shenmue getting so much attention lately. A double page feature in Famitsu? Wow.

I wonder if SEGA would create some mobile games based of the mini games in Shenmue I and II if the collection sales moderately well.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kiske » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:06 pm

What I don't understand is, how come, if the cutscenes are really going to be in the original 4:3 ratio that this screen capture from a Shenmue 2 cutscene in the announcement trailer is in 16:9 ratio?

Kiske has received a thanks from: Peter
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:08 pm

Kiske wrote: What I don't understand is, how come, if the cutscenes are really going to be in the original 4:3 ratio that this screen capture from a Shenmue 2 cutscene in the announcement trailer is in 16:9 ratio?

Yep.

This isn't open and shut just yet. So I encourage members to keep this in mind.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sappharad » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:01 pm

Kiske wrote: What I don't understand is, how come, if the cutscenes are really going to be in the original 4:3 ratio that this screen capture from a Shenmue 2 cutscene in the announcement trailer is in 16:9 ratio?

The little box in the lower right of the first page of the article has a list of changes. The 2nd bullet point says:

●操作可能なシーンでは、画面比率が16:9に変更
(イベントシーンなどは4:3)

Which, you can copy/paste into Google translate yourself and it confirms what the german article claims. I think the article is accurate. I'm going to re-post this screenshot again:
The Shenmue 2 cutscenes were already widescreen, just letterboxed. After we got the letterboxed Yuan shot, my opinion on this is that it's probably going to be selectable, but we're going to be stuck with 4x3 in Shenmue 1 because they don't want to manually fix every cutscene with problems outside of the safety area.

Sappharad has received 4 thanks from: Kiske, Mystere, Niowiad, ShenmueTree
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Amir » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:33 pm

I just hope they avoid "double black bars"/letterboxing for Shenmue II cutscenes like in this screenshot:

Could this not be panned and scanned so only the black bars on the top and bottom remain, or no black bars at all (I can't remember if the cutscenes were 16:9 or 2.35:1)?

Amir has received a thanks from: Reprise
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Kiske » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:01 am

That Yuan's knife cutscene is not 16:9.

Also, have you noticed the messed up pixels on the borders and in the bottom roight area when zooming the 1920*1080 Yuan's screenshot? It's way more noticeable when you download the image and open it on Photoshop.

It's almost like the devs have done a still shot of the scene with a wide angle and then have added a maske to match the cutscene original look.

It looks very odd and I would love to hear a rational explanation about why there should be a mask there?
Covering areas that are graphically messed up? Could that mean they are trying at least to optimize cutscenes ratio aspect and camera angles?
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Telekill » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:31 am

I'm not worried about the aspect ratio of the cut scenes. Frankly, I didn't care if the entire game was still in the 4:3 ratio so long as it was HD. All I wanted was a straight port on my PS4 so I didn't have to strain my eyes to play. I have an AV to HDMI converter for my 4KTV but it still doesn't upres it very well.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Next

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release