Famitsu Article

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Famitsu Article

Postby BlueMue » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:38 am

These screenshots are resized in ways we don't know so they aren't anything to be judged very well.

And also to make this clear once and for all: The Dreamcast outputs a resolution of 720x480 with a 640 pixel display area. Many digital devices take this as 640 overall and make the image too narrow. Old TVs and the monitors on the Naomi arcade handled it correctly and a full width 4:3 image is how Dreamcast games are intended to look like.
Shenmue I & II does this right for sure so please stop trying to talk d3t into they made any mistakes there.

BlueMue has received 5 thanks from: Anthony817, Gen, Reprise, SheepheadCG, Spaghetti
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Gen » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:18 am

BlueMue wrote: These screenshots are resized in ways we don't know so they aren't anything to be judged very well.

And also to make this clear once and for all: The Dreamcast outputs a resolution of 720x480 with a 640 pixel display area. Many digital devices take this as 640 overall and make the image too narrow. Old TVs and the monitors on the Naomi arcade handled it correctly and a full width 4:3 image is how Dreamcast games are intended to look like.
Shenmue I & II does this right for sure so please stop trying to talk d3t into they made any mistakes there.

Ah, thanks for clearing it up, I did a quick comparison with image from emulator and it appears to match the screens.
I think the thinner Ryo is what I'm used to seeing on my old tv.
Gen
Master of the Three Blades

Postby SheepheadCG » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:25 am

BlueMue wrote: These screenshots are resized in ways we don't know so they aren't anything to be judged very well.

Please post this on ResetEra as it will hopefully shut the guy up who found it out :P He spamming like crazy, and has apparently been trying to contact D3T non stop lol

https://www.resetera.com/posts/6989337/
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Telekill » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:50 am

James Brown wrote: Hi Allen! It's really awesome to see a dev interacting with fans like this! You're a credit to the industry that you can be so down to earth like this! Thanks for all the hard work to yourself and the rest of the team, and thank you so much for bringing us the original Shenmue's back :D really hope we get a ton of new fans to the series, and caught up with plenty of time for Shenmue 3! All the best!

I really can't say it better than that. Very cool to have a dev working on the project actually interacting with the fanbase. Thanks for being here and talking with us.

Telekill has received a thanks from: SheepheadCG
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby brad86 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:17 am

SheepheadCG wrote:

Please post this on ResetEra as it will hopefully shut the guy up who found it out :P He spamming like crazy, and has apparently been trying to contact D3T non stop lol

I feel slightly responsible for bringing his post over here now, after reading the take from you guys lol.

I'm not going to be concerned any more about little issues that will probably be fixed, and just be happy this is finally happening.
brad86
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby SheepheadCG » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:22 am

brad86 wrote:
SheepheadCG wrote:

I feel slightly responsible for bringing his post over here now, after reading the take from you guys lol.

I'm not going to be concerned any more about little issues that will probably be fixed, and just be happy this is finally happening.

Haha no worries. I'm glad you bought it over so BlueMue could shut it down :D

I'm personally doing the same. We know everything we have seen is a WIP, so in my eyes, there is no need to worry at the moment. From what we have seen so far, we are getting such a great version of the games, with some added extras. What is there not to like :D
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mjq jazz bar » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:33 am

Allan, hope you didn't get in trouble for posting here. I noticed whoever's running your company's social media is keeping everything very hush-hush and didn't want to present any additional information until it was ready.

Thanks for answering what you could.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Gen » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:46 am

I'm a bit confused by this I have to say, so the game as I know it has always been squeezed? I'm going to have to look into this more since I clearly don't know enough. If I recall correctly, the thinner image in those examples is the way the game has always looked on my dreamcast, regardless if it was on an older tv or on a modern screen with VGA.
Gen

Postby SheepheadCG » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:01 am

It would appear that the guy on ResetEra has either seen this thread, or someone PM'd him BlueMue's post, as he is now saying that it is wrong lol
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby GhostTrick » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:14 am

Alright, just registered to bring my input on that. BlueMue is 100% right. Stop spreading false information about the aspect ratio. Yes, the remaster is "stretched" because this is HOW the game is supposed to look. Back then, the game was developped with CRT in mind and was meant to be stretched. What evidences do I have ? Pretty simple.
Here's an official screenshot of Shenmue from SEGA:
As you can see, it's at 640x480 but with black bars. Which according to people here, is how the game is supposed to be display. It's true, it's the native resolution of the game. BUT pay attention to the watch. It's not round:
As you can see, the watch on the HUD is 69*78 pixels.
But if you take the picture inside the black bars and stretch it at 640*480 like the remaster does...
TADA ! It's now perfectly round at 78*78 pixels.

You don't believe me yet ? Well, take a look at the game on Dreamcast when captured with a capture device, so displaying the game how the Dreamcast intend to display it and not how the Dreamcast process it...
As you can see, round again. And the proportion of Ryo match.

More simple, here's a screen capture from the Xbox version of Shenmue II, so without any dreamcast internal resolution shenanigans...
The watch is round again and Ryo has the same body proportions. And the watch is again 78*78 pixels.

Now here's the remaster screenshot:

As you can see, Ryo's body match. I even made a gif to prove it:

So please, don't spread false information that may mislead d3t ltd's work. I seen bad stuff said about them already, so please don't spread misinformation.
Last edited by GhostTrick on Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

GhostTrick
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Jibby » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:22 am

Thanks for signing up GhostTrick.
Great comparison! I think that settles it once and for all.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Gen » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:24 am

Yeah, that's how it looks on demul also.
Gen

Postby BlueMue » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:25 am

People didn't believe me earlier when I said that round objects like the watch are meant to be round and are only round when the image fills the 4:3 format. Thanks for pointing this out in images, I think that makes the message a lot more clear.

BlueMue has received 5 thanks from: Anthony817, SheepheadCG, Spaghetti, Switch, VukBZ2005
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby The_Fuzileiro » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:38 am

GhostTrick wrote: Alright, just registered to bring my input on that. BlueMue is 100% right. Stop spreading false information about the aspect ratio. Yes, the remaster is "stretched" because this is HOW the game is supposed to look. Back then, the game was developped with CRT in mind and was meant to be stretched. What evidences do I have ? Pretty simple.
Here's an official screenshot of Shenmue from SEGA:

What an impressive find GhostTrick! Congratulations!
The_Fuzileiro
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Reprise » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:03 pm

Thank you so much for clearing that up GhostTrick!
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release