New batch of screens

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: New batch of screens

Postby Niowiad » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:44 am

At some point you should simply be aware that you're looking at a 20 years old videogame.
Graphics is most likely the last problem people encounter with Shenmue, even 20 years later.
Niowiad
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby FlagshipFighter » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:54 am

Never has seeing new HUD/UI elements excited me so much, they look really great and compliment the sharp/clean look the game has now that it's uprezzed. Looks perfect.

Shenmue 2 looks beautiful with the vibrant colours as always. Regarding Shenmue 1: At first I kinda liked the fuzzy filter the game use to have (that made all the colours appear cool instead or true/warm) but seeing these screenshots has and the neon colours and true-er lighting really gives off a fresh new look for one.

I love shenmue 2, but seeing 1 again like this just really melts my heart, just because that was always the least accessible game out of the two (coming out only for the DC) so seeing that shot of Ryo running down Doubuita street really evokes so many positive/memories of joy I had back then with he first game.

Also curious if Ryo's instagram filters from Shenmue 2x will be back :D (This game really was ahead of it's time lol!) I never did use them much though, although it could be interesting if they wanted to add new ones (as seen for some games like UC4, like a comic/cell-shaded filter. It's also nice when you see some people brute force these filters for older games through emulators, especially early PS2 era ones)
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby adom11800 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:53 am

Peter wrote: Not saying this in terms of graphics, ratios or anything like that. But that image of Ryo staring at the Shenmue Tree gave me chills. I can't believe there will be players out there who will get to experience that for the very first time.

Indeed.
adom11800

Postby life_247 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:00 pm

Rafik wrote:
ShenSun wrote: new screenshots looking hot. Im pretty sure there will be a 4:3 mode and 16.9 mode, similar to classic and modern controls.

I'm more excited to play Shenmue 2 this time around as i played it far less than Shenmue 1. These screenshots are only adding to that excitement, especially the shenmue tree shot.

I hope there will be a 16.9 mode for everything, I'm a little afraid about cinematics in 4:3.

Me too but it really looks like the S1 cut scenes will be 4:3, S2s were in 16:9 (with bars on old tellys) so they should render in 16:9 fine. Both games can be played in 16:9 but you might be watching S1 in the original ratio.

However these screens do look v nice compared to what we’ve seen thus far imo.
life_247

Postby b_ren » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:36 pm

So much colour in the Shenmue II screens, cannot wait to play this game in HD!
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Dragon St. » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:49 pm

Spaghetti wrote: Via the Japanese site for Shenmue I & II.

Is my memory deceiving me or did the Dreamcast version have a 'foggy' look outside of the Heartbeats bar? This looks far too light and clean to me...
Dragon St.

Postby GYO6161 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:53 pm

I really think we could be a little biased when it comes to the pictures since we love the games so much but that's ok. Still can't wait to see how the modern gamers are going to react to these games. Despite the graphics not being up to current standards these games are too speciaI that i'm sure people would get over that.
Will be sure to be on the lookout on Twitch for any streamers when this hits. I wonder if most newcomers will choose the English voices or Japanese? :-k

GYO6161 has received a thanks from: Reprise
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby OL » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:57 pm

EDIT: I think it should be pointed out that this isn't a press-release batch of screenshots; it's just a bunch of images taken from the site, which were scaled down to fit a little "collage" for each game.
So no, they aren't meant to actually show off the strengths of the HD release. They're really just random images of the games.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Niowiad » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:09 pm

Dragon St. wrote:
Spaghetti wrote: Via the Japanese site for Shenmue I & II.

Is my memory deceiving me or did the Dreamcast version have a 'foggy' look outside of the Heartbeats bar? This looks far too light and clean to me...

Maybe a little darker but I don't remember it being foggy.
I played it so many years ago but i just looked at a couple of screenshots.

The Shenmue1 intro located outside the hazuki dojo (showed in the announcement video) definitely missed the fog though... we'll see how they'll deal with that.
Niowiad

Postby OL » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:51 pm

"Magic Weather" maybe?
It's been a while since I've played it, but I'd imagine the place looks different depending on the day.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Niowiad » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:09 pm

That also came to my mind. It should vary according to the date.
I just made of quick search of screenshots and a few let's play videos and it always seemed to look like that.
It has been a such long time and I can't wait to play it again :shock:
Niowiad

Previous

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release