Shenmue HD in Discussions Before Shenmue III Announcement

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Shenmue HD in Discussions Before Shenmue III Announcement

Postby Amir » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:53 pm

“We saw the talk surrounding the announcement of Shenmue III, and we saw the demand for that game,” [John Clark, Sega Europe’s executive vice president of publishing] told IGN Japan at Tokyo event Sega Fes 2018. “(Ports of) Shenmue I & II had been a discussion pre Shenmue III, but I think that it all helped raise the awareness internally and externally,” giving Sega Europe’s team the leverage it needed to push the project forward.

That said, Clark believes the re-releases would have happened eventually even without the existence of Shenmue III, citing a general increase in global appetite for Japanese games, and for classic Sega IP.

"We have a wishlist [for most-wanted re-releases], and one of the first games that we brought out [from that list] was Valkyria Chronicles. That came out on PC, and the appetite for that game on PC led to it coming out on console as well, and now we see that the franchise is becoming really healthy.” Indeed, a Western release of Valkyria Chronicles 4 is due this fall on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch.

“That triggered renewed interest in the West for [Sega’s] Japanese titles, and they started to go to a bigger audience in the West than they had, say, 10 years or 15 years ago,” continued Clark. “It was encouraging for us and for Sega in Japan to see that. I think that influenced and gave us leverage on the kind of titles we could bring out, titles like Shenmue.”

http://au.ign.com/articles/2018/04/19/s ... nouncement

Amir has received 2 thanks from: Arm Wrestler, SheepheadCG
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Re: Shenmue HD in the Works Before Shenmue III Announcement

Postby Amir » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:58 pm

As for why the project took so long to come together, Clark said that solving contractual issues was a major factor. “Some of it does come down to the availability of licences and voice actors and things like that, which does sound a little bit corporate, but you do have to go through that. It’s a big project, and there were very many elements to consider.”
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: Shenmue HD in Discussions Before Shenmue III Announcemen

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:00 pm

Sorry, quick alteration to the thread name to reflect a bit more accurately what was said. Don't want to give people the impression it was in active development pre-2015.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: Kiske, VukBZ2005
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Valascaziel » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:00 pm

Clark confirmed that the same project development team at Sega Europe responsible for Valkyria Chronicles is leading the Shenmue I & II project.

Good tidbit of news here. Valkyria Chronicles was a very nice remaster.

Valascaziel has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:03 pm

I thought Little Stone Software did VC on PC?
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Amir » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:18 pm

Spaghetti wrote: I thought Little Stone Software did VC on PC?

Yeah, I'm not seeing anything linking D3T to Valkyria Chronicles, may have been he just got confused.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ProjektHate » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:27 pm

Amir wrote:
Spaghetti wrote: I thought Little Stone Software did VC on PC?

Yeah, I'm not seeing anything linking D3T to Valkyria Chronicles, may have been he just got confused.

I assume he's talking about the Sega Europe corporate team overseeing the project, and not the development team (d3t) themselves.

ProjektHate has received 3 thanks from: Amir, Spaghetti, VukBZ2005
ProjektHate
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: ProjektH8
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: KotOR

Postby Ucuetis » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:27 pm

As for why the project took so long to come together, Clark said that solving contractual issues was a major factor. “Some of it does come down to the availability of licences and voice actors and things like that, which does sound a little bit corporate, but you do have to go through that. It’s a big project, and there were very many elements to consider.”

I wonder if the line about voice actors meant they are or were planning to add additional content or maybe re-recording lines for either censorship (Yuan situation) or better fidelity or all three? If it's additional content it might have something to do with the Passport portion of Shenmue I? That'd be very interesting if they actually do add extra stuff.
Ucuetis
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Amir » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:28 pm

I think he means what their contracts stipulated at the time, i.e. if they had to be paid for future versions/releases of the game or not.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Ucuetis » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:40 pm

Oh really? I assumed that voice actors didn't get royalties or residuals like traditional actors do. That's the reason they had that huge strike back in 2016. Maybe SEGA is different in the industry?
Ucuetis
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Amir » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:44 pm

I can't say I'm an expert, but I know this thing has been a sticking point before: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... -HD-Remake
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:18 pm

I wonder if Japan will get coke cans and the west will get jet cola and other altered licensed in game items? TBH I want jet cola.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby BlueMue » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:30 am

There were discussions before? Well duh, they pretty much have been in various forms for like the last 10 years.
They have acknowledged the demand for Shenmue HD for quite a long time, leading to some very unfortunately statements and almost teasing as we all know.

The fact that they were actively pursuing licensing stuff checks with what we we're all expecting as an issue that takes time but worded as it is above, it sounds like Shenmue I & II might actually have at least some renewed.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby adom11800 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:16 am

Seems like they really were interested from the start then. Can't wait to play it.

Also, “There are more games on the list, there are more announcements to be made, and we’re just happy that we can bring out Shenmue I & II now.”

That line filled me with joy. Please be Skies of Arcadia! [-o<

adom11800 has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Amir » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:57 am

I just realised now that the VR platforms are a perfect fit for Samba de Amigo. Make this happen, Sega! #SaveSamba

Amir has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release