Random Shenmue HD Thoughts

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Random Shenmue HD Thoughts

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:36 pm

Yeah, it will definitely be because of the game's having dual audio that will add things up a lot, plus Shenmue II's cast size being bigger than Shenmue I's as well (more NPCs + more voiceovers = more GB). Pretty sure Shenmue II just has more cutscenes as well.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Robfozz » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:27 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Yeah, it will definitely be because of the game's having dual audio that will add things up a lot, plus Shenmue II's cast size being bigger than Shenmue I's as well (more NPCs + more voiceovers = more GB). Pretty sure Shenmue II just has more cutscenes as well.

If its just Japanese voices wouldn't the Shenmue 1 be double the size as well? Yes Shenmue 2 has a lot more audio I know.

Point Im making is dual language isn't going to magically make the game an entire 5gb larger. It wouldn't even make it 4gb larger because you're ignoring the space taken by the actual game assets.

Its all speculation right now I guess but there's clearly something more happening to add an extra 5gb

Robfozz has received a thanks from: Hazuki00
Robfozz
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: Robfozz_
XBL: Robfozzz
Steam: Robfozz
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kyo_JP » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:48 pm

Just talking about scenarios assets Shenmue I shares almost all scenario assets thought 3GDs, Shenmue II has 3 different settings (Hong Kong, Kwooloon and Guilin) in 3 and a half GDs, probably this affects the games size
Kyo_JP

Postby Anthony817 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:30 am

Here are some high resolution promotional game screenshots from the Xbox version taken many years ago.

Gallery link

https://imgur.com/a/2mxR58A

Anthony817 has received a thanks from: Esppiral
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: Anthony817
Currently playing: Shenmue II English 99min

Postby FlagshipFighter » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:58 am

SEGA Europe Twitter Teases something tomorrow (perhaps Koralik's Yokosuka tour video?) https://twitter.com/SEGA_Europe/status/ ... 8461983745
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby redline » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:30 pm

phpBB [video]
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Jibby » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:03 pm

Adam hyping up tomorrow. I suspect it's going to be footage of his Shenmue travel tour as well as maybe his E3 video with Corey Marshall. The fact that SEGA Europe are tweeting about it too suggests to me that we might see a (little) bit of new material to go with it (maybe comparisons of ingame locations vs the real deal). That's just speculation on my part though.

Looking forward to it whatever it is!
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Robfozz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:44 am

I wonder what enhancements will be made for PS4 Pro and Xbox One if any? Aren't enhancements for new releases mandatory by Sony and Microsoft?
Robfozz

Postby Valascaziel » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:17 am

Robfozz wrote:I wonder what enhancements will be made for PS4 Pro and Xbox One if any? Aren't enhancements for new releases mandatory by Sony and Microsoft?

Pretty sure this latest video confirms that is a negative for Pro and X support. Sony and Microsoft do not require enhancements, though it is encouraged. If they included support, but PC did not there would be some serious questions asked.

It is worth noting that the PS4 Pro does have Boost Mode which enhances performance for non-patched games, though it doesn't do anything for resolutions or HDR enabling..it is strictly for framerates and load times.

It may help Shenmue HD run consistently at 30FPS and decrease load times even more. I doubt it would enable 60FPS, though as the game is hard coded for 30.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby asdfguy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:37 am

Anthony817 wrote: Here are some high resolution promotional game screenshots from the Xbox version taken many years ago.

Gallery link

https://imgur.com/a/2mxR58A

Hahah. I'm sure this was running on a PC with that high resolution. I know Microsoft does this all the time. When they showed Forza and other games, it was running on PC and Microsoft disguised as running on Xbox One
asdfguy

Postby FlagshipFighter » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:06 am

Robfozz wrote: I wonder what enhancements will be made for PS4 Pro and Xbox One if any? Aren't enhancements for new releases mandatory by Sony and Microsoft?

Neither of them impose developer restrictions like that.

The exception is 3rd parties with exclusive marketing deals with the console manufacturer, then having mid-gen console enhancements options are often encouraged with additional funds and resources directed to the developers to provide a plethora of performance options.

As for the launch of Shenmue 1 and 2's re-release, the improvement that you'll see will likely be one's tied to the additional hardware provided (i.e. the faster bandwidth of data those HDD's provide may decrease loading times under the base platforms "1-2seconds" unless they're hardcoded to a specific minimum number to avoid them vanishing too quickly).

I understand the appeal of having feature-full future-proofing options in these games with resolutions and such but 1080p is a great resolution for retro games as it's usually difficult to discern the details above this resolution when it comes to clarity and textures (at most it'll bring AA/reduction of jaggies). Just the fact thatv they're on the current generations of consoles (sans Switch) and PC with all the QoL/effects does more then enough to future-proof these games imho.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby Robfozz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:10 pm

Blue haired clown has been fixed, I repeat, blue haired clown has been fixed!(Screenshot from the new Return to Dobuita Street video)

Robfozz has received a thanks from: iyapol
Robfozz

Postby Jibby » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:58 pm

Either that or it's an older build of the game.

Jibby has received a thanks from: iyapol
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby south carmain » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:09 am

Can someone who has some knowledge on the subject explain to me why it's possible to easily emulate the shenmue games at 60fps but not implement it in to the remasters without having to rewrite the entire code? I'm a bit confused how an emulator can tell the engine to output at 60fps but it's impossible to do so without.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby iyapol » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:23 am

south carmain wrote: Can someone who has some knowledge on the subject explain to me why it's possible to easily emulate the shenmue games at 60fps but not implement it in to the remasters without having to rewrite the entire code? I'm a bit confused how an emulator can tell the engine to output at 60fps but it's impossible to do so without.

Enough with the reasonable questions!

iyapol has received a thanks from: ner0
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release