Random Shenmue HD Thoughts

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Random Shenmue HD Thoughts

Postby Mestre Ziming » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:48 am

Ok, I was curious and did some analysis using the stream uploaded on youtube, timelines are in the pictures and you can check yourselfs too.

Window in Dojo isn't rendered, it's passable I guess but noticeable:

Camera inside Ryo's arm, noticeable:

Camera inside lights, not very noticeable:

Kid stuck in the back, very noticeable:

Camera inside Ryo's head, very noticeable:

Fisherman stuck in the back, very noticeable:

Camera inside Hisaka-san arm, noticeable:

Camera inside Ryo's arm, noticeable:

Camera inside Ryo's head, very noticeable:

Actually it's kind what I was expecting, keep in mind that this is what I noticed (could be more) and I only did it until reaching the beginning of disc 2, didn't feel like continuing.
As you can see there's a lot of problems just for this portion of the game alone.

As for Shenmue 2 I didn't try looking at it yet but its a mixed bag, one would expect to be the best game to support 16:9 because of the letterbox already implemented but the game just keeps jumping from 19:6 to 4:3 in cut scenes with QTEs. Probably would be very jarring, everything would need to be cropped I guess...

Probably disc 4 would be passable since there's almost no QTEs there. I'm curious what they will do with this game actually...

Mestre Ziming has received 7 thanks from: Ceej, Centrale, Jibby, Kiske, OL, Reprise, SledgeNE
Mestre Ziming
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Jibby » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:00 am

Good post!
I think this kind of stuff is acceptable in a fan hack, but in a commercially sold product I can see why they'd want to avoid it.

Jibby has received 2 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, SheepheadCG
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby GYO6161 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:50 pm

I wonder if the Platinum Trophy will be separate between Shenmue 1 and 2 on PS4 or whatever it's called on Xbox.
Found this picture online and it seems that for Xbox, the games will be separate applications.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:04 pm

Listed as a bundle on the PlayStation Store, so it's looking like two separate applications.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Robfozz » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:46 pm

GYO6161 wrote: I wonder if the Platinum Trophy will be separate between Shenmue 1 and 2 on PS4 or whatever it's called on Xbox.
Found this picture online and it seems that for Xbox, the games will be separate applications.

Rare Replay also does this despite having a menu that connects all the games together. There could still be some kind of menu that connects the 2 games together.
Robfozz
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: Robfozz_
XBL: Robfozzz
Steam: Robfozz

Postby PILMAN » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:49 pm

redline wrote:
Niowiad wrote:
Japanese audio literally was my only request for the HD remasters.

with the 2 different languages, it seems were pretty much getting 4 games with sHD. (same goes for shenmue 3). japanese vs english give the games a totally different feel imo.

i plan to play both in japanese, then in english :)

for me I play the 1st in japanese, second in english as in hong kong english was a defacto primary language so it isnt necessarily historically inaccurate. I do love the Japanese voices.
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby lorddanilo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:05 am

Sorry for cutting off the discussion, but I would like to say how happy I am with the rerelease of Shenmue I & II.

I'm Brazilian and here Shenmue was not very well known (despite the effort of Tectoy, the Sega representative here), so I met the series only in 2016, in a playthrough of an oldgamer youtuber, Velberan.

It was love at first sight. I had a Dreamcast for a short time, but I never got close to that amazing game. I had to play in emulators, so I found this forum.

As I played and followed the forum, I began to participate in attempts to persuade Sega to relaunch the first games before Shenmue 3 be released. These few 2 years of waiting have already been a torture. I can only imagine the waiting and hope of all here since 2000, until finally the rerelease has been confirmed.

I really want to get the physical here in Brazil, but Sega is not very present here, so I think I'll have to settle for the digital version of PS4 and Steam, because I'll buy both.

[Sorry for this poor english

lorddanilo
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: danilo_tino
Currently playing: Zelda BotW

Postby Peter » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:42 am

Use a lighter blue bud. Easier on the eyes ;-)

Peter has received 2 thanks from: lorddanilo, mjq jazz bar
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Supa » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:32 pm

GYO6161 wrote: I wonder if the Platinum Trophy will be separate between Shenmue 1 and 2 on PS4 or whatever it's called on Xbox.

I think you're right.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/shenmue/bz75xhfdz14q
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/shenm ... 9lqqw7q0mz

Supa has received a thanks from: GYO6161
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Robfozz » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:14 am

Since the Microsoft page lists the game as a bundle, we can take a look at the games individual file sizes. Together, the package is 13.62GB. Shenmue 1 is 4.25GB which sounds about right, but then Shenmue 2 is a whopping 9.37GB. How did Shenmue 2 skyrocket to an extra 5gb? Uncompressed textures or voices? Uncompressed bonus movies(the Digest and Saturn videos)? Maybe even just cool new bonus material? This is certainly interesting.
Robfozz

Postby Kiske » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:03 am

Robfozz wrote: Since the Microsoft page lists the game as a bundle, we can take a look at the games individual file sizes. Together, the package is 13.62GB. Shenmue 1 is 4.25GB which sounds about right, but then Shenmue 2 is a whopping 9.37GB. How did Shenmue 2 skyrocket to an extra 5gb? Uncompressed textures or voices? Uncompressed bonus movies(the Digest and Saturn videos)? Maybe even just cool new bonus material? This is certainly interesting.

Shenmue II is way bigger than Shenmue I.
More textures, more audio, larger file size. I don't expect a special treatment for Shenmue II when it comes to bonus material, but who knows.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby GYO6161 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:24 am

13.62GB in total is quite interesting considering the Steam version says it requires 30 GBs of storage. :-k
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Hazuki00 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:35 am

GYO6161 wrote: 13.62GB in total is quite interesting considering the Steam version says it requires 30 GBs of storage. :-k

Why is that difference?? :shock:
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Robfozz » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:39 am

Kiske wrote:
Robfozz wrote: Since the Microsoft page lists the game as a bundle, we can take a look at the games individual file sizes. Together, the package is 13.62GB. Shenmue 1 is 4.25GB which sounds about right, but then Shenmue 2 is a whopping 9.37GB. How did Shenmue 2 skyrocket to an extra 5gb? Uncompressed textures or voices? Uncompressed bonus movies(the Digest and Saturn videos)? Maybe even just cool new bonus material? This is certainly interesting.

More textures, more audio, larger file size. I don't expect a special treatment for Shenmue II when it comes to bonus material, but who knows.

Yes I'm well aware Shenmue 2 is a much bigger game but its been clear theyre not really doing anything to update these games outside of rendering resolution and updated lighting. Unless they're actually using the source, uncompressed textures and voices(pretty sure they said they weren't), there's no reason for the game to increase in size from its original 4~gb.
Robfozz

Postby Kiske » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:23 am

Robfozz wrote:
Kiske wrote:

Yes I'm well aware Shenmue 2 is a much bigger game but its been clear theyre not really doing anything to update these games outside of rendering resolution and updated lighting. Unless they're actually using the source, uncompressed textures and voices(pretty sure they said they weren't), there's no reason for the game to increase in size from its original 4~gb.

I understand what you mean.
You are referring to the number of discs of the original release of Shenmue I and Shenmue II?

I guess that's a technical question for the Dojo experts who know every bit of Shenmue files after years of modding and hacking. That said, Shenmue is only 3 discs and every disc contains a good part of the overall datas since you keep doing back and forth from the Hazuki Residence to the harbor during the whole game.

Shenmue II works on 4 discs, and they probably don't include all the whole game datas (I'm talking about textures and audio mainly). Beside, both games will have English AND Japanese audio, which is going to make the size difference bigger.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release