Random Shenmue HD Thoughts

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Random Shenmue HD Thoughts

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:00 pm

Just as long as the keep the weird back pack glitch, I remember the first time I ran into it well.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: Reprise
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby GYO6161 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:20 pm

I also hope they keep the Map Walls/Loading sections Bypass exploit from 2. I sure love to abuse it sometimes on replays.

GYO6161 has received a thanks from: Reprise
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby redline » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:44 am

i was wondering, should we as fans be persuading first timers (online/ on other forums) to play sHD in japanese first?

unfortunately the english dub hasn't aged well..so overall i think new gamers would respond better to the full japanese experience. = more interest in s3.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Enigma » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:58 am

redline wrote:i was wondering, should we as fans be persuading first timers (online/ on other forums) to play sHD in japanese first?

unfortunately the english dub hasn't aged well..so overall i think new gamers would respond better to the full japanese experience. = more interest in s3.

I'm not worried about this. I can imagine that newcomers will understand the inclusion of both English and Japanese as a subtle way to tell the player 'Psst. You can switch voices if you don't like the dub'. At least, that's what goes on in my head when I'm presented with the option in other games. Plus, I think new players of Shenmue HD (likely, people already interested in Japanese games) will already be aware of dubbing's reputation, but may still prefer it to reading subtitles. If the HD ports were releasing with only the English voice-acting, then I'd be a little more concerned.

Enigma has received a thanks from: redline
Enigma
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: SWOTOR

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:21 am

What I've noticed from watching people playing these games for the first time in these last few years, is that the cheesy charm of the dub can win them over and be enjoyed either earnestly, or ironically in a sort of post modern way.

I'll always maintain Shenmue II's story is carried better in Japanese though.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: redline
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:50 pm

- I hope SEGA will bundle HD and III together at a discount, eventually.
- Hopefully the release date for III will be revealed when HD is released.
Wude-Tang Clan
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby GYO6161 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:05 pm

redline wrote: i was wondering, should we as fans be persuading first timers (online/ on other forums) to play sHD in japanese first?

Maybe SEGA could include the JPN audio as the default to steer newcomers in that direction but i honestly feel anyone with a problem with the dub will have the common sense to change it.

I could see a lot of newcomers that are yakuza fans which is a series that only has Jpn audio go with subs so it will be interesting. I will definitely hop on twitch and youtube gaming and see how many people choose one or the other.

Here's hoping S3 has dual audio as well since last time i checked it wasn't fully confirmed. Would be a shame to have S1&2HD with both and not 3.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby staplepuffs27 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:13 pm

Spaghetti wrote: What I've noticed from watching people playing these games for the first time in these last few years, is that the cheesy charm of the dub can win them over and be enjoyed either earnestly, or ironically in a sort of post modern way.

I'll always maintain Shenmue II's story is carried better in Japanese though.
I haven't tried the S2 English dub before. I'm curious how its worse, so I'll try it for my first re-release playthrough.
staplepuffs27
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: staplepuffs27
Currently playing: Sonic CD

Postby Jibby » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:54 pm

staplepuffs27 wrote:I haven't tried the S2 English dub before. I'm curious how its worse, so I'll try it for my first re-release playthrough.

Unlike the first game it's not as charming as it is just... bad. It's not unbearable by any means, but it's clear that the English dub was an afterthought.

I can't remember for sure so don't quote me on this, but if I recall correctly it was actually handled by Microsoft who rushed it so that there would be an English dub in time for the Xbox release in the US. That's probably the reason why it's so poor.

Jibby has received a thanks from: Reprise
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:56 pm

staplepuffs27 wrote:I haven't tried the S2 English dub before. I'm curious how its worse, so I'll try it for my first re-release playthrough.

My main problem is a lot of flat delivery in scenes where they're much more emotionally charged in Japanese.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Scribe86 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:06 pm

My random Shebmue HD thought is the capsule toy “boobie” prizes of the controller buttons. These were altered for the Xbox version of Shenmue 2, but I wonder wether they will bother changing the ABXY & their respective colours to PS4, Xbox One & Steam controller inputs or just remove them entirely from the gotcha gotcha vending machines.

Scribe86 has received 3 thanks from: Jibby, Peter, Spaghetti
Scribe86
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Jibby » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:10 pm

Scribe86 wrote: My random Shebmue HD thought is the capsule toy “boobie” prizes of the controller buttons. These were altered for the Xbox version of Shenmue 2, but I wonder wether they will bother changing the ABXY & their respective colours to PS4, Xbox One & Steam controller inputs or just remove them entirely from the gotcha gotcha vending machines.

I've wondered this too. Will be interesting to see if we get Playstation symbol buttons on PS4, or if they'll just be generic ABXY buttons across all platforms.

Jibby has received a thanks from: Scribe86
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:26 pm

Scribe86 wrote: My random Shebmue HD thought is the capsule toy “boobie” prizes of the controller buttons. These were altered for the Xbox version of Shenmue 2, but I wonder wether they will bother changing the ABXY & their respective colours to PS4, Xbox One & Steam controller inputs or just remove them entirely from the gotcha gotcha vending machines.

That's a hell of a good point.

Peter has received a thanks from: Scribe86
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Centrale » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:52 pm

Jibby wrote:I can't remember for sure so don't quote me on this, but if I recall correctly it was actually handled by Microsoft who rushed it so that there would be an English dub in time for the Xbox release in the US. That's probably the reason why it's so poor.

Wasn't there an interview years ago with one of the voice actors who, speaking anonymously, said that there was a very strong direction to deliver some of the lines in ways which wouldn't be natural-sounding (to put it mildly) to Westerners? They said that the actors told the director this but the director insisted. It wasn't made clear who the director was, however.

Centrale has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Reprise » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:58 pm

Yeah, for whatever reason, the Shenmue 2 English dub is undoubtably far worse than it was the first game. I honestly don't even mind the English voice acting in the first game, for the most part. It was charming, as Jibby mentioned. The English voice over in Shenmue 2 was just flat out abysmal though.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release