Random Shenmue HD Thoughts

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Random Shenmue HD Thoughts

Postby Scribe86 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:15 pm

Reprise wrote:The English voice over in Shenmue 2 was just flat out abysmal though.

Hmm.. I can’t quite agree with such a harsh statement, I do agree that some of the voices of NPC’s were reused for multiple characters that were in close proximity to one another but other than that I thought the VO’s in Shenmue 2 were upto the same standard as in Shenmue 1. But hey, opinions are like arseholes.. everyone has got one ;-)
Scribe86
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Peter » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:50 pm

Centrale wrote:
Jibby wrote:I can't remember for sure so don't quote me on this, but if I recall correctly it was actually handled by Microsoft who rushed it so that there would be an English dub in time for the Xbox release in the US. That's probably the reason why it's so poor.

Wasn't there an interview years ago with one of the voice actors who, speaking anonymously, said that there was a very strong direction to deliver some of the lines in ways which wouldn't be natural-sounding (to put it mildly) to Westerners? They said that the actors told the director this but the director insisted. It wasn't made clear who the director was, however.

Oh boy that sparked some memories and made me fire up a search:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=42218

Bit of a weird one that Yama brought to us when he took over. We had to find footage of specific NPCs in Shenmue 2 in exchange for an unidentified voice actors interview on working on Shenmue. Originally I thought it was Eric Kelso, but when you read it, you can see pretty quickly it's definitely not. Who it is became a mystery. To this day we still don't know who it was, but here's the interview link:

http://shenmuedojo.net/new/extras/2010/ ... hemic.html

Peter has received 3 thanks from: Centrale, Gen, Spaghetti
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby ShenGCH » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:18 am

redline wrote: i was wondering, should we as fans be persuading first timers (online/ on other forums) to play sHD in japanese first?

unfortunately the english dub hasn't aged well..so overall i think new gamers would respond better to the full japanese experience. = more interest in s3.

Shenmue is generally known for four things: QTEs, sailors, forklifts, and bad voice acting. To deprive newcomers of any of those would be sacrilege :P
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:01 am

Peter wrote:Oh boy that sparked some memories and made me fire up a search:

Bit of a weird one that Yama brought to us when he took over. We had to find footage of specific NPCs in Shenmue 2 in exchange for an unidentified voice actors interview on working on Shenmue. Originally I thought it was Eric Kelso, but when you read it, you can see pretty quickly it's definitely not. Who it is became a mystery. To this day we still don't know who it was, but here's the interview link:

Fascinating.

In a morbid kind of way...

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Gen
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Gen » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:13 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Peter wrote:Oh boy that sparked some memories and made me fire up a search:

Fascinating.

In a morbid kind of way...

Now I want to know who that Clint Eastwood/Richard Simmons-character is.
Gen
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby GYO6161 » Wed May 02, 2018 7:22 pm

I assume the ''Fully scalable screen resolutions'' feature listed on the steam page means that arbitrary resolution support is in for PC right? So 1440p, 4k, 5k ect? I sure hope so. Shenmue I & 2 at 4K and beyond would be amazing.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby dietsoap » Wed May 02, 2018 8:22 pm

ShenGCH wrote:
redline wrote: i was wondering, should we as fans be persuading first timers (online/ on other forums) to play sHD in japanese first?

unfortunately the english dub hasn't aged well..so overall i think new gamers would respond better to the full japanese experience. = more interest in s3.

Shenmue is generally known for four things: QTEs, sailors, forklifts, and bad voice acting. To deprive newcomers of any of those would be sacrilege :P

Fucking hell this is hilarious. I really want to hear that Eastwood/Simmons NPC in the game now.
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Valascaziel » Thu May 03, 2018 9:39 pm

Well,

It is really nice to see the outpouring of support during this Tweetathon. It seems SEGA Europe responded to it recently; I'd wager they are quite happy, but content to ride the wave until they want to give up a little more information

I think they'll wait til E3, honestly--I know everyone says to not get your hopes up, but we are really moving towards something big here. It all depends on how in-depth progression has been made in Shenmue III.

It has been almost 3 months since the last "update", which was a recap of MAGIC and a couple of screens from an unknown build. We are due for a proper re-reveal soon. Here's hoping.

This game series has a far more expansive fanbase than even I thought. It is still in the Top 30 Best Sellers on Amazon, 3 weeks after the announcement.

Valascaziel has received 2 thanks from: celsowm, Kiske
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ShenGCH » Sat May 05, 2018 3:22 am

dietsoap wrote:
ShenGCH wrote:

Fucking hell this is hilarious. I really want to hear that Eastwood/Simmons NPC in the game now.

Leaked image from the voice recording sessions:

ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sappharad » Sun May 06, 2018 5:42 pm

I was thinking about this yesterday, and realized they could potentially include What's Shenmue as an extra. They probably won't, but it would be neat if they did.

Going further than that, it would be neat if they did a "Shenmue Museum" similar to what Insomniac had hidden as extras in some of their old games. I really liked discovering the Insomniac Museum in Ratchet & Clank A crack in time, it had a bunch of weapons cut from the game, a couple mini games that were cut, and I think that was also the game where they had a beta version of one of the areas playable. There were so many unused assets and areas from the first two Shenmue games, some we've seen via hacking, but it would be neat if they had a mini documentary and/or museum showing whatever unused assets they could find during the porting process. I know a lot of people want to see more of Shenmue Saturn, which last we heard from Ryan Payton they hadn't found anything beyond that, but I think there's a lot of cool stuff from the Dreamcast that I'd love to see even more. I wonder if they still have the early versions of thousand white convent where it was a small dumpy looking room with the statue in front, or the version of Man Mo Temple where it was surrounded by pine trees.

Sappharad has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ShenGCH » Mon May 07, 2018 3:53 am

Three curators on Steam have already commented on Shenmue I & II:

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: Kiske
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kiske » Mon May 07, 2018 5:47 am

ShenGCH wrote: Three curators on Steam have already commented on Shenmue I & II:

Do you have a direct link to this? Thanks :D
You must be logged, that's right?
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby johnvivant » Mon May 07, 2018 7:29 am

I wonder whether vibration function will be added to the games.

johnvivant has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenGCH » Mon May 07, 2018 4:35 pm

Kiske wrote:
ShenGCH wrote: Three curators on Steam have already commented on Shenmue I & II:

Do you have a direct link to this? Thanks :D
You must be logged, that's right?

Sure thing: https://store.steampowered.com/curators/curatorsreviewing/?appid=758330

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: Kiske
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby GYO6161 » Mon May 07, 2018 6:02 pm

johnvivant wrote: I wonder whether vibration function will be added to the games.

Forklift and when you are close to catching the leaves would be parts that will fit nicely.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release