How do you hope they handle the load screens?

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

How do you hope they handle the load screens?

Postby Ceej » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:58 am

Obviously, modern consoles won't require the same amount of time to load new areas as the Dreamcast did. Do you hope they still retain some variation of the load screens that we're familiar with? Or are you hoping for a more modern way for Ryo to transition between areas?

Ceej
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: How do you hope they handle the load screens?

Postby Centrale » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:26 am

Perhaps they could be manually skippable. That way you could read the location name and time, but advance past it as soon as you want to by pressing a button. Or you could just wait and it would last as long as it used to.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby BalHan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:40 am

Yeah definitely some modern way of transitioning between areas would be a welcome change. It's just not necessary now to wait several seconds in real time for the next area to load with these eighth-gen consoles being as powerful as they are. It just wouldn't make any sense and would unnecessarily disrupt the flow of the games whereas with the originals, it unfortunately wasn't optional.

I hope the load screens appear sparingly in the rerelease. You have your watch to view the time and the menu screen to view the date.

Unless anyone can think of why it be necessary to retain the load screens?
BalHan
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:48 am

BalHan wrote:Unless anyone can think of why it be necessary to retain the load screens?

Before we get into this, are you just expecting load times short enough where the classic load screens don't appear and moving to new areas is done with a simple fade down/fade up, or somehow making the original games seamless maps apart from interiors?
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Centrale » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:53 am

BalHan wrote: Unless anyone can think of why it be necessary to retain the load screens?

I expect it's necessary because the game is made of several separate maps, not one continuous one.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby alexh86 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:01 am

I think they add value to the game and, of course, are an iconic part of the presentation. Leaving them up as long as they are in the original games is unnecessary though. I think a good way to handle them would be an on/off toggle in the game menu. If on, they appear where they normally would but the player skips through them with a button press at any time.
alexh86

PSN: ahark86
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Jibby » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:35 am

It's not just about the power of the hardware. That's not the only factor at play when it comes to loading times. Hard limitations will arise from things such as the age of the engine/code so I wouldn't expect loading to be instant. It'll be reduced, but still probably long enough to read the info displayed on the screens.

Jibby has received a thanks from: Reprise
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BalHan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:51 am

Spaghetti wrote:
BalHan wrote:Unless anyone can think of why it be necessary to retain the load screens?

Before we get into this, are you just expecting load times short enough where the classic load screens don't appear and moving to new areas is done with a simple fade down/fade up, or somehow making the original games seamless maps apart from interiors?

Yes a fade down/fade up when moving to new areas. I know this wouldn't be particularly helpful for first-time players though so I'm not sure how they would address that.
Last edited by BalHan on Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
BalHan

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:58 am

BalHan wrote:Yes a fade down/fade up when moving to new areas. I know this wouldn't be particularly helpful for first-time players though so I'm not sure how they would address that.

I think you've kind of answered your own question about why they'd retain the loading screens here. They help orient the player.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Reprise » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:10 pm

10 bucks says the loading screens remain intact, however loading is marginally faster than seen on the Dreamcast and Xbox originals.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby FlagshipFighter » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:50 pm

I think it'll be 2-3 seconds, which seems fine tbf as I like hearing the music setting the tone as well as a reminder of the time while still appearing seamless.

The ability to skip an arbitrarily-extended loading screen by pressing start sounds neat in theory but I worry that it'll condition newcomers (as well as us) to impatiently always press the menu/options to press it every-time you see it, which'd be a nuisance imo (although I imagine it would be welcomed by speedrunners?).

I think if the loading times no longer pose any problems tech-wise: it'll be the case of them testing and finding the magical length of seconds/milliseconds for the loading screen to appear and be functional/set the mood while not outstaying it's welcome or going anyway so quick that it's jarring (maybe they can get rid of the 'now loading' sign?)

Seamless loading imo isn't something essential for a faithful remaster and I think it may pose too much of a risk losing something integral to the game if they managed to omit it out entirely (although that'd be a huge accomplishment if they manage to make 1 and 2 seamless.

In the case of Shenmue 3: it makes sense for it to be re=approached (maybe when you're loading into the game for the first time or when you're going to another city/story transition/fast travelling (if that becomes a thing?) but I expect it'll occur less frequently)
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby BlueMue » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:53 pm

They definately won't remove the loading screens. They are an essential part.
They definately will be shorter, however. The real meat of the load times came from the GD drive.
My comparisons showed that the GDEMU easily cuts the load times in half and a bit less. That is still on the Dreamcast with all its limitations.

On the hardware that they target everything can load from HDDs or even SSDs with a much higher bandwith, not to mention processing power. And for games the size of Shenmue and Shenmue II it would even be possible to dump the entire game into RAM to make it even quicker, though that really won't be necessary.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Reprise
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Enigma » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:59 pm

I think they'll remain but will just be a lot faster.

They wanted to stay true to the originals so much that they avoided tampering with the first game to insert a time-skip feature (of which I'm glad), so I think they'll retain something as iconic as the load screens.
Enigma
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: SWOTOR

Postby GYO6161 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:01 pm

I can see them and HOPE they keep the loading times. Though i am worried they might become too short that we will struggle to read all the info. Would be weird but i wouldn't mind artificial lenghing the loading times a bit if it comes to that.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: God of War

Postby johnvivant » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:23 pm

my preference would be '4 second only' loading screens (between areas) but with the option to skip them by pressing confirm repeatedly.

i hope the loading screen retain the same appearance/ font.

i also hope the subtitles have the same font, or very similar, just in HD.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Next

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release