RELEASE DATE CONFIRMED: Shenmue 1 & 2 will launch 21/8/18!

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: RELEASE DATE CONFIRMED: Shenmue 1 & 2 will launch 21/8/

Postby Fluffball » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:49 pm

abaww wrote: Just bought it on Steam. \:D/ Also there are already keys for steam available on sales for about 24€: https://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/buy-she ... re-prices/

Not to advertise here but voidu I believe currently have the cheapest pre-order price https://www.voidu.com/en/shenmue-i-ii

I used them for yakuza 0 pre-order and got the key instantly so would recommend.
Fluffball
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:05 pm

Saw the news when I got up this morning, so I went to the game store and fully paid and pre-ordered a PS4 copy earlier today.

Dont you just love it when things can work out to where the launch of the decade wait sequel can now go as smoothly as it possibly could?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Telekill » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:15 pm

Can't wait. Really looking forward to it.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby abaww » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:17 pm

Fluffball wrote:
abaww wrote: Just bought it on Steam. \:D/ Also there are already keys for steam available on sales for about 24€: https://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/buy-she ... re-prices/

Not to advertise here but voidu I believe currently have the cheapest pre-order price https://www.voidu.com/en/shenmue-i-ii

I used them for yakuza 0 pre-order and got the key instantly so would recommend.

24€ <29€ :P This time voidu is not the best deal.
abaww
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: abaww

Postby ianpm31 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:23 pm

Have the digital ps4 and physical preordered :)
ianpm31
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby xatruio » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:00 pm

TheThirdComing wrote: https://gematsu.com/2018/07/shenmue-i-i ... -august-21

Is the game 4:3 or widescreen?

Gameplay where the player can control the camera is 16:9.

Cutscenes are letterboxed in their original formats.

Devistated.

Devastated* :P

You backed the kickstarter pretty well, why give up so easily if you're obviously a pretty big fan? Gameplay in 16:9 matters much more and the only realistic need. Cinema ratio is usually widescreen, sure, but it is a creative decision. In art you just have to learn to live with how the direction was intended to be viewed. Besides, 4:3 on "full" screen setting isn't quite as ugly as wide/fit-to-screen zoom on most TVs, if not all. Play my Dreamcast at 4:3, but full; side bars truly aren't too noticeable. Allows me to sit back a bit if I'm not in an edge-of-seat gameplay mode.

Definitely do appreciate your Dreamcast loyalty, though haha. I'm never gonna give them up especially since I play both PAL and already use save transfer and have a damn nice DVI upscale setup. I'm mainly psyched for presumably quicker load times, save anywhere and Japanese VA.
Last edited by xatruio on Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xatruio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Tosh » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:07 pm

i'm a tiny little bit disappointed that the the voices still sound like some 64 kbit mp3 file
that you are hearing through an old telephone. but its nice to have physical editions of 1-3 on one platform
so i will buy the HD remaster regardless.
Tosh
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby TheThirdComing » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:11 pm

xatruio wrote:
TheThirdComing wrote: https://gematsu.com/2018/07/shenmue-i-i ... -august-21

Is the game 4:3 or widescreen?

Gameplay where the player can control the camera is 16:9.

Cutscenes are letterboxed in their original formats.

Devistated.

Devastated* :P

You backed the kickstarter pretty well, why give up so easily if you're obviously a pretty big fan? Gameplay in 16:9 matters much more and the only realistic need. Cinema ratio is usually widescreen, sure, but it is a creative decision. In art you just have to learn to live with how the creation as intended to be viewed. Besides, 4:3 on "full" screen setting isn't quite as ugly was wide/fit-to-screen zoom on most TVs, if not all. Play my Dreamcast at 4:3, but full; side bars truly aren't too noticeable. Allows me to sit back a bit if I'm not in an edge-of-seat gameplay mode.

Definitely do appreciate your Dreamcast loyalty, though haha. I'm never gonna give them up especially since I play both PAL and already use save transfer and have a damn nice DVI upscale setup. I'm mainly psyched for presumably quicker load times, save anywhere and Japanese VA.

Yeah I did back the KickStarter & Just thsi week ordered an additional copy, as i really care for the series much like everyone here and want it to succeed. But the lack of widescreen cutscenes simply doesn't do the set justice. The Opening to Shenmue was such a jump forward for presentation and cinematography within the gaming medium. To see such constraint is just painful. I just don't see the point in Re-releasing a set like this and not putting the effort to convert the presentation for modern standards.

I went through all my PS4/PS4 HD Collections just now
All of these are in widescreen, even the PS2 to PS3 titles. Metal Gear Solid had terribly cropped cutscenes but even they were spread out to full widescreen:

So when I see this:
I see no valid reason for it.
TheThirdComing
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Fluffball » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:49 pm

abaww wrote:
Fluffball wrote:

24€ <29€ :P This time voidu is not the best deal.

It was €24 but now €21.64! :D
Fluffball
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby ShenmueForeseen » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:12 pm

Would be great if Steam would support mods on this but I doubt it, either way I expect the PC version will have community mods to force widescreen for cutscenes.
ShenmueForeseen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:32 pm

Lads, continuing a topic of conversation from a locked thread is no bueno, when the thread was locked to stop it becoming a shit show because of that topic.

Suspensions will be issued if you ignore this. Not kidding here.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby xatruio » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:51 pm

Shit show? My reply and his back were completely civil.

Noticed the other thread and near same post was locked after initially seeing this, anyway. Geez.
xatruio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Kintor » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:53 pm

Anyway, changing the subject - save anywhere in Shenmue 1 is a big deal. This is the kind of improvement that justifies the HD port, besides porting Shenmue for its own sake, of course.

This will be a big help to new players who have never experienced Shenmue before. Although, I'm wondering if I will still continue to save only in the bedroom, just purely out of habit.

Kintor has received a thanks from: xatruio
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby SheepheadCG » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:23 pm

A couple more bits from Adam. He uploaded a 2 minute video this morning, but this is a 10 minute one with a bit more detail (basically goes over the FAQ). He does talk about how this could mean big things, and that Sega are taking a lot of notice.
phpBB [video]

Hopefully this will give us Shenmue 4 :D!
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Centrale » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:24 pm

I have to say, it's a wild feeling to know with certainty that a new Shenmue release is 48 days away. It's something that has been the focus of a vast spectrum of feelings over the course of many years. Hope, desire, worry, anxiety, despair, confusion... it seems fitting for some other emotions to have their time now: relief, elation, joy, satisfaction, and love. :heart:

Not to mention... this is only the appetizer before the main course.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release