Shenmue I & II HD : FAQs Answered by Sega & d3t

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Shenmue I & II HD : FAQs Answered by Sega & d3t

Postby Kiske » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:43 pm

Someone on Twitter asked D3t about PNJ's popping up in the trailer in the same way they did on Dreamcast.

https://twitter.com/thck2/status/101479 ... 37952?s=21

That's something I assumed would be "fixed" as modern systems ressources are more than enough to prevent pop-ups but I guess that it's more complicated to fix than I thought.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:50 am

Something I never see praised enough about Shenmue 2 on Xbox is the snapshot mode. It was diverting enough just to be able to take and save photos within the game, but what really sets it apart even from modern games with similar modes is that it detected which characters were in the frame and attached their biographical data to the photo. And not content with the novelty factor of this, the function was put to practical use for unlocking bonus content when lists of specific characters were photographed throughout the game, lending a whole new side challenge to engage the player. Some characters, after all, could only be seen once.

So I'm very glad to see this included in the new version. I think a number of new converts are going to start asking why elements of this feature are still new and surprising to them nearly two decades later.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby DigitalDuck » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:51 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: Something I never see praised enough about Shenmue 2 on Xbox is the snapshot mode. It was diverting enough just to be able to take and save photos within the game, but what really sets it apart even from modern games with similar modes is that it detected which characters were in the frame and attached their biographical data to the photo. And not content with the novelty factor of this, the function was put to practical use for unlocking bonus content when lists of specific characters were photographed throughout the game, lending a whole new side challenge to engage the player. Some characters, after all, could only be seen once.

So I'm very glad to see this included in the new version. I think a number of new converts are going to start asking why elements of this feature are still new and surprising to them nearly two decades later.

My favourite part of the snapshot feature is that you can take photos during a flashback too, so Ryo can somehow have pictures of Ziming and Iwao on his camera.

The photo sidequest is a great one to speedrun too. It's a fun route that doesn't skip absolutely everything like the any%, but still allows you to skip some things (like the planks in Ghost Hall Bldg.) unlike a glitchless any% run, and you can end without a "let's hurr" mentioned.

What do you think the chances of having the snapshot feature in Shenmue I are? I'm not expecting any unlockables related to it, but it would be nice to have it in. (Although then again, every platform it's on has its own screenshot feature, so...)

DigitalDuck has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, James Brown
DigitalDuck
Asia Travel Representative

XBL: DuckProgrammer
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Life

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:24 pm

I'm not holding my breath for it to be added to 1. Besides, Ryo's not a tourist in Yokosuka. :)
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:15 am

I've contacted Sega Europe's support about which subtitles are planned for the game. Here's the reply I got.

Vincent, Jul 5, 15:09 BST:
Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting SEGA Support.

The European version of the game will have English, French and German subtitles available.

I hope this information is of use.

Best Regards,

Vincent

Regarding the subtitles. Seems indeed that no Spanish or Portuguese subtitles are planned, at least not in the PAL version. They're gonna do French and German ones on top of the original English subtitles from the Dreamcast versions, however. Also, the Asian version will include Chinese subtitles, according to Play Asia.

I think business-wise this does make a lot of sense actually. Keep in mind this is Sega Europe we're talking to here and they don't cover the Latin American markets, so Spain and Portugal alone were probably not big enough markets to warrant their own subtitles. Also, releases like Yakuza or Persona 5 are English only in Europe, so Sega Europe are already going out of their way, by their standards, by making French and German subtitles for two games from almost twenty years ago.

Maybe Sega of America will fork out the cash for Spanish and Portuguese subtitles in the Americas version. Who knows?
Last edited by Hyo Razuki on Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Tosh » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:39 am

its a bit weird that they only have german and french subtitles.
most of the time, when a game has german subtitles, you will find pretty much every "EU language"
in the game and not just one or two.
especially the spanish people made a lot of noise on twitter, steam etc
and i think d3t even acknowledged that. but it seems like it didnt achieve anything.

i dont know how expensive or hard it is to provide more languages,
but if you already invest money in something like german and french menues and subtitles,
wouldnt it be clever to invest in all of the most spoken languages - like spanish?
Tosh
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:59 am

Tosh wrote:
i dont know how expensive or hard it is to provide more languages,
but if you already invest money in something like german and french menues and subtitles,
wouldnt it be clever to invest in all of the most spoken languages - like spanish?

Not for Sega Europe. Spanish only has like 45 million native speakers in Europe, French something like 70 or 80 million native speakers in European markets, German is at about 100 million native speakers in Europe.

I think it would be a wise move for Sega of America to invest in Spanish and Portuguese subtitles as they are the ones who will cover the Latin American markets.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Tosh » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:57 am

but even on steam only english, german, french, korean and chinese subtitles are listed.
so i dont think that they will provide anything else or different in the console versions.
i mean i can live with that, i am german but i have no problems with english text.
i play all of the yakuza games with english text.

but if you look at the kickstarter campaign for Shenmue 3 -
german, french, italian and spanish subtitles are already backed and thats "just" a kickstarter game.
thats why i think it would have made sense to put a little more effort in the translation of Shenmue HD.

of course i know that 1 & 2 are from Sega and 3 is not but it would be just a better package
for a wider audience.
Tosh
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:14 am

I'm not sure which continental division of Sega is publishing the Steam version. Is it Sega Europe, Sega of America? I don't know.

From a global perspective, ti seems it would have made sense to include Spanish subtitles but for some reason(s) we don't know, someone calling the shots decided against it. Well, I'm pretty sure there will be a Spanish subtitles mod for the PC version at least.

Anyway, it is what it is. The fact that we are getting these games on modern platforms is a miracle and a triumph in itself so I don't wanna complain to Sega and/or D3T about anything.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby punkmanced » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:33 pm

Sure, but that still doesn’t justify not including either Spanish or Portuguese subtitles here, IMO.

This is a legacy title which always had its share of fans in Europe and South America. The idea is to bring it back in the 21st century not only for existing fans, but to hopefully convert new ones. Hence, it’s shortsighted, at the very least, to not include the most spoken language on the planet in this day and age.

[Additionally, IIRC the notebook changed languages in Shenmue 2 (DC) based on your console region, and Spanish was available.]

I don't know, this just seems like a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ decision.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby DigitalDuck » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:30 pm

punkmanced wrote:Hence, it’s shortsighted, at the very least, to not include the most spoken language on the planet in this day and age.

They included Chinese subtitles.

Unless of course, you meant the second-most spoken language in the world, in which case the games have always had English subtitles. :mrgreen:

(I think Spanish is third though, and it's certainly more widely spoken than French or German.)
DigitalDuck

Postby Sappharad » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:49 pm

Here's something I thought about recently and haven't seen asked yet: I wonder which Japanese dub they're using for Shenmue 2? (Going to wait until I see them actively tweeting answers again before sending that one out)

It doesn't really matter much to me which one they use and we'll know next month anyway, but it's one thing that would be pretty harmless for them to answer. I'm assuming we will be getting the 'censored' UK Japanese Dreamcast dub, since it more accurately reflects the English subtitles, but it would be a difference to look forward to if we got the original Yuan VO and tape recording that was replaced for the English versions. The character bio on the Shenmue 3 website references the uncensored stuff, but that was probably translated directly from Japanese by someone who wasn't familiar with the changes made for the west. (And wouldn't be affiliated with these ports anyway)
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Peter » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:43 pm

Sappharad wrote: Here's something I thought about recently and haven't seen asked yet: I wonder which Japanese dub they're using for Shenmue 2? (Going to wait until I see them actively tweeting answers again before sending that one out)

It doesn't really matter much to me which one they use and we'll know next month anyway, but it's one thing that would be pretty harmless for them to answer. I'm assuming we will be getting the 'censored' UK Japanese Dreamcast dub, since it more accurately reflects the English subtitles, but it would be a difference to look forward to if we got the original Yuan VO and tape recording that was replaced for the English versions. The character bio on the Shenmue 3 website references the uncensored stuff, but that was probably translated directly from Japanese by someone who wasn't familiar with the changes made for the west. (And wouldn't be affiliated with these ports anyway)

This is literally the definition of how the relationship between fans and developers has morphed over the years.

You are asking a question, with no real reason behind it. You don't care about the answer, but you feel obliged to ask it anyways. You are also asking a question which you seem to already logically know the answer to, but relating it to something else which as you know yourself, has absolutely nothing to do with the development of these games.

Why are you even meddling?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby DigitalDuck » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:34 pm

...?

That seems to me an incredibly hostile response to someone who merely expressed curiosity.

DigitalDuck has received 2 thanks from: Mr357, SickOctopus
DigitalDuck

Postby Peter » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:56 pm

If you have been reading said users posts and tweets you would understand Digital Duck.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release