Shenmue I & II HD : FAQs Answered by Sega & d3t

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Shenmue I & II HD : FAQs Answered by Sega & d3t

Postby Sappharad » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:34 pm

Peter wrote:You are asking a question, with no real reason behind it. You don't care about the answer, but you feel obliged to ask it anyways. You are also asking a question which you seem to already logically know the answer to, but relating it to something else which as you know yourself, has absolutely nothing to do with the development of these games.

Why are you even meddling?

We're not talking directly to the developers though, they're not supposed to interact with us for confidentiality reasons. It's just PR people whose jobs it is to interact with fans. I literally did just come up with a question for the sake of asking a question, and yes, we probably know what the answer is, but this is the kind of stuff the PR team probably wants to be getting - easy questions. They have to deal with a bunch of people complaining to them, I thought they might like an easy question where they can get some new material to post out of answering. What's wrong with that?

I'm not planning to tie the question into anything else that's going on if that's what you're implying. Those are separate issues.
Peter wrote:If you have been reading said users posts and tweets you would understand Digital Duck.

I've been pretty consistent between the two, and he has read and replied to some of my forum posts here and elsewhere. I think it's fairly obvious where I stand at this point - I was disappointed by some of the decisions that they've made, but ultimately I realized based on the price point that they were necessary and I agree with both the price point and those choices were reasonable based on that. I'm still advocating for anything else they can possibly do to improve customer reception, just not so much here because you don't like me right now. ;-)

If you'd like to discuss things privately feel free to reach out. I just feel like you and Spaghetti are upset a lot recently and none of this (especially me) is worth getting upset over. If there's some way I can help just let me know.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Peter » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:41 pm

You know what, I actually will concede and apologise because you are right on that. That apology also extends to anyone who also feels I have spoken to them in a disrespectful manner. I have been upset lately. Not upset, that would be the wrong word. Extremely stressed and under pressure would be a better way to word it, and whilst I could post a list of all the stuff that's going on right now on a daily basis, I would. But I am certainly not going to pander for any sort of sympathy.

When it comes to comments made about HD on these forums it honestly makes my blood boil on what could be argued, an unjustifiable level. So with that in mind I think it's fair to say that I shouldnt come onto these boards with a shitty attitude. I have had private conversations with people both from this site and across the community, and if it helps matters, my presence will be less over the coming weeks, so you and others can have conversations more freely.

Peter has received a thanks from: Mr357
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Sappharad » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:00 pm

Peter wrote: You know what, I actually will concede and apologise because you are right on that. I have been upset lately. Not upset, that would be the wrong word. Extremely stressed and under pressure would be a better way to word it.

If it helps at all, I used to like a lot of the posts you were making in the Shenmue 3 forum a year or more ago. You made a lot of reasonable and logical arguments when people had negative things to say about how things were going. I don't remember particularly which one, but at one point you wrote a long post which basically one of those long posts that justified things still being in progress and you had faith in what they were doing. It was one of the first times I understood why everyone referenced your opinions on how you thought things were going when I agreed such that if you think it's good then I have nothing to worry about.

I think that's still the case, I loved the Shenmue 3 trailer from last August, was satisfied with the character models then and had no worries about the robotic people even while other people were/are still worried it won't be fixed on time. I'm completely satisfied with what YSnet has done on that side and look forward to further discussions there once this re-release business is past.

I think part of my worries when things get negative as you call them here, is that I'm familiar with places like Sonic Retro, where most of the staff is used to there being good games and bad games such that when something like Sonic Forces comes out, the staff doesn't interfere at all people discussing what they don't like because some of them probably agreed. On that side of things Sega has a great PR team too, some of which came directly from the community and even post on the forums outside of official channels. I kind of wish that could happen here, but given that Shenmue is not a strong brand for Sega (yet) I doubt we'll ever get that cozy with them.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby PILMAN » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:06 pm

I have to say I am quite surprised by the lack of information that some have been spreading particularly on the Steam forums, sadly it seems to be causing a major division as well. I'm not sure how the other forums have been such as gamefaqs/ign/etc. but I think trying to get more of the new folks over here may help significantly with at least providing correct information.

From what i've seen on the Steam forums, the general view seems to be either very happy and excited to mediocre disappointment over the game not being completely redone (I don't think any of us expected it), to flat out boycott avoid. Some are also confused and believe Shenmue 3 is being financed by SEGA without realizing that the games released by Sega and the 3rd game are completely different and Yu Suzuki does not have control over the re-releases made by SEGA.

Part of me feels a bit mixed, there are definitely a lot of questions I have. I know that with my Dreamcast aging, my discs being kept mainly in storage, and not being a huge fan of the xbox version (though to give credit, it's the first version I played), there are a lot of concerns and I think some fans are either opposed to any criticism of the release by SEGA while others are pure no compromise and frustrated about the release.

This is the general vibe I am feeling in regards to the game currently and seeing a split when really all of us were just wanting the game to continue and remakes would be nice to preserve the legacy of the trilogy.

I guess time will tell...
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Tosh » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:19 am

PILMAN wrote: I have to say I am quite surprised by the lack of information that some have been spreading particularly on the Steam forums

i'm sorry to say this but the Steam board has probably the worst community of all the platforms.
there are thousands of accounts that were just created to troll people in every single thread.

you have all the master race people, who will rage if a game doesnt run in 4k/60 fps
on their four years old 700$ machine, you have the lying people with a magical computer
that has no technical problem with game XYZ even though everyone else on this planet has a problem.
you have the people who will hype and defend everything like their life depends on it,
you have the people who will criticize the smallest things without any sense,
you can find death threats, gay xenophobia, nazi glorification and so on.

and you can find atleast one person of every category in every bigger thread,
which makes it impossible to get anywhere with the discussion.
you can find like five useful comments in a thread with one hundred answers.

i have seen atleast ten or fifteen Steam boards where the developers had to withdraw from the board
because it was not possible to handle the community because they were freaking out about every announcement.
(and not in a good way)

so i wouldnt use the Steam boards to measure anything because you will always find a extreme side there.
just look at the Shenmue HD Steam board now ... there are 45 threads on the first three pages
and you could delete like 41 of them because its trash.
Tosh
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby PILMAN » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:49 pm

Tosh wrote:
PILMAN wrote: I have to say I am quite surprised by the lack of information that some have been spreading particularly on the Steam forums

i'm sorry to say this but the Steam board has probably the worst community of all the platforms.
there are thousands of accounts that were just created to troll people in every single thread.

you have all the master race people, who will rage if a game doesnt run in 4k/60 fps
on their four years old 700$ machine, you have the lying people with a magical computer
that has no technical problem with game XYZ even though everyone else on this planet has a problem.
you have the people who will hype and defend everything like their life depends on it,
you have the people who will criticize the smallest things without any sense,
you can find death threats, gay xenophobia, nazi glorification and so on.

and you can find atleast one person of every category in every bigger thread,
which makes it impossible to get anywhere with the discussion.
you can find like five useful comments in a thread with one hundred answers.

i have seen atleast ten or fifteen Steam boards where the developers had to withdraw from the board
because it was not possible to handle the community because they were freaking out about every announcement.
(and not in a good way)

so i wouldnt use the Steam boards to measure anything because you will always find a extreme side there.
just look at the Shenmue HD Steam board now ... there are 45 threads on the first three pages
and you could delete like 41 of them because its trash.

Ive been on steam since 2004 and it is sad how much the community has degraded but even more so the monopoly that they hold on digital gaming on PC. I remember the controversy of halflife 2 requiring Steam. It brought about an easy way to buy games and download them but i feel paranoid to even post there or give an opinion. I was advised to not post my video showing the emulated version of the game. More so, not owning the game and having a revokable license is also concerning.
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kiske » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:04 am

Here's a summary of the latest information released by Sega and Adam Koralik since the release date announcement.

Kiske has received 6 thanks from: James Brown, Jibby, Let's Get Sweaty, Nankeiro, Switch, Telekill
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Jibby » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:23 pm

Fantastic presentation Kiske! Great job.

Jibby has received a thanks from: Kiske
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby darksniper » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:53 pm

Peter wrote: I have been upset lately. Not upset, that would be the wrong word. Extremely stressed and under pressure would be a better way to word it, and whilst I could post a list of all the stuff that's going on right now on a daily basis, I would. But I am certainly not going to pander for any sort of sympathy.

I hear you. One thing to remember is that at sometime next year, we'll finally be playing Shenmue III. It may not solve any personal issues or stress that you have going on, but at the end of the day it will feel great knowing that you're literally going to encounter a moment you've waited likely half your life for. I know for me personally, I'm don't think I'm emotionally prepared for the day I actually hold a physical copy of Shenmue III in my hand Just remember there's a light at the end of the cave. :D

There's a myriad of issues that I could get into about Shenmue HD and Shenmue III, but ultimately I'm getting exactly what I wanted at bare minimum (Shenmue I and II HD + Shenmue III) so with that said I'm happy. I just want to play the damn HD remasters next month.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Verderame » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:04 pm

Do we know why it costs 5€ more in Europe? :-k
Verderame
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Outrun

Postby Tosh » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:02 pm

Verderame wrote: Do we know why it costs 5€ more in Europe? :-k

no idea. 35€ for the digital steam edition, 35€ for the physical PS4 edition on amazon. (germany)
but there are some german online shops where you can pre order the PS4 edition for 29,95.

(but then you have to pay 3-5€ for shipping so its not that much of a difference)
Tosh
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Verderame » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:51 pm

Tosh wrote:

no idea. 35€ for the digital steam edition, 35€ for the physical PS4 edition on amazon. (germany)
but there are some german online shops where you can pre order the PS4 edition for 29,95.

(but then you have to pay 3-5€ for shipping so its not that much of a difference)

Like, not even a 1:1 conversion with the UK price. Looks like a very arbitrary and un unpleasant overcharge.
Verderame

Currently playing: Outrun

Postby Sappharad » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:36 pm

The primary reason you'll usually hear is because in Europe, VAT is included in the sale price. In the US, sales tax is not included in the advertised price. Sales tax in the US can vary from state to state too, even down to the city level in some cases. I live in a suburb, and if I were to buy something downtown about 30 minutes from here I'd pay 0.5% more in sales tax than I pay where I live. Even Amazon US adds local taxes to the cost if they have a warehouse in the same state.

Now, nobody really has tax high enough to turn a $30USD game into $35 but it's likely they'd rather round up to the nearest 5€ than come up with an unusual amount. It's also not accounting for the fact that 35€ is about $40USD right now, but I don't think you're going to find much better of an answer than the VAT excuse. Here's an article that also says things:
https://www.pcgamer.com/the-weird-ecomo ... the-world/
They don't even mention the tax situation, but have a lot to say on the topic as a whole.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby GYO6161 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:21 pm

Expected of course but confirmed that What's Shenmue? isn't included on the re-releases.
https://twitter.com/SEGA_Europe/status/ ... 8808609793

GYO6161 has received a thanks from: Niowiad
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby punkmanced » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:34 pm

^ Wow...it hadn't even occurred to me.
(Strange, I know!)

Thinking about it now, that would've been a really cool inclusion.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Previous

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release