THE NEW SHENMUE DOJO WILL GO LIVE THIS FRIDAY 27/7

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: THE NEW SHENMUE DOJO WILL GO LIVE THIS FRIDAY 27/7

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:25 am

I thought I’d stop in to see this thing through. I almost made it 15 years on here. Can’t wait to see what is in store for the dojo!
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby redline » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:17 am

every time i hear how long since the launch of shenmue or the dojo.. i feel really old :|
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Rom » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:24 pm

Even though I don't have as much time to post on here as I used to have, I wanted to come one last time on the old forums. I'm so glad that things have finally gone our way and I hope that the best is yet to come!
Rom
Master of the Three Blades

Postby dbzruler88 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:16 pm

Just saw the post on Facebook about the new site coming. Been on these forums since 2004. I used to post a hell of a lot more in those days. Figured it was worth one more post on here for old times sake.

Although it will be a sad day to see these forums closed, I understand why it needs to happen, and appreciate all the work that has been put into this.

I'll see everyone on the new site!
dbzruler88
Atheist Activist
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: jeremylovesanna
XBL: jeremylovesanna
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0

Postby PILMAN » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:28 pm

Just want to say for the record, thank you all for the memories.

I remember in 2001 one of my classmates in my tech class told me about Shenmue for the first time and showed me the shenmuedojo page. He explained to me that it was a game like real life where you could go into arcades and work, you could talk to friends and call people and fight 99 people which sounded amazing. I saw it was exclusive to Dreamcast and during that period my family didn't have much in the way of money. I did later get an Xbox for preorder as a birthday gift and most places no longer stored the Dreamcast. The odd thing is I rarely ever saw Dreamcasts outside of a mall where it was being offered as a prize at this nascar simulator arcade and some of the commercials.

A friend of mine loaned me his Dreamcast and I borrowed him my Xbox but he did not have Shenmue, I was able to experience PSO, and some other games on the DC.

Having moved out of Chicago to rural Florida due to some issues with my parents, I went through a rough period where we barely had any money for anything really, my computer was having issues and my mom ended up getting an old tv from a garage sale which I bought a rf adapter from radioshack. I would go to the mall and hang around gamestop. I bought a gameinformer magazine which had explained ahenmue IIx was coming to the US on the Xbox and I remembered my pld classmate telling me the 2nd one never came to the US on Dreamcast so October 2002 I rented the game and played it for the first time and started visiting Shenmuedojo reading the forums.

My first experience playing the game I had watched the dvd that came with and then started playing the second game. I was intrigued stepping off the boat for the first time and seeing a huge variety of npca and all the various tasks you could do, working, arm wrestling, gambling, fighting, lucky hit, the qte action and the diverse shops and interiors of restaurants.

Visiting this forum and reviewing my forum posts, I can see how different I was at that time and replaying Shenmue, I learned so many things on this forum. I remember asking mundane or irrelevant questions that ironically other members also were curious in, small things like why are there guns in the convenience store in shenmue 1 or questions about rens knife, learning Kowloon was a real place as well as Guilin, the forum opened my eyes to a lot of things.

I remember the following years waiting on an announcement for Shenmue 3, we would be hyped up and then dissappointed, I remember at times how dead the forum was but I would always come back to read LanDC or Tails or other members posts explaining possibilities of what the future of the story would contain and the various modders who found hidden speech or back stories.

The day Shenmue III was announced, I was going through a layoff but I ztill wanted to be a part of history, I remember celebrating on the forums and watching Yu Suzuki live as the power failed but yet the hoal succeeded in raising the funds.

I will truly miss the forums here and I know it is easy to say it is time to look forward but there is a nostalgia of having been here so long and attachment. I am glad the forums will at least be archived .

Thank you again for the memories.

PILMAN has received 2 thanks from: spud1897, TheTimeRanger
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby lDarkWarriorl » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:54 pm

Just popping in to say goodbye. I have great memories here.
lDarkWarriorl
Creator of Earth Crisis
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: TAF_Nukem
XBL: TAF Nukem
Nintendo FC: DukeNukm
Steam: DukeNukem

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:45 pm

I actually owe my time here to the guys at the Neoseeker forums. I wandered over to google for answers after I heard nothing about the 3rd game through my game informer subscription for over a year. There were three consistent posters in the Shenmue forums on Neoseeker who pointed me over here due to my enthusiasm about the game. None of my friends at the time had any interest in the series, so finding this oasis of Shenmue was sort of a big deal for me. :-({|= :)
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby myshtuff » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:52 pm

Can't wait to see it!
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:18 pm

People showing up to say goodbye to the Dojo, but didn't really bother when Shenmue III was announced. Further proof that this place is more than just a video game fan site.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby SaM_4000 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:07 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: People showing up to say goodbye to the Dojo, but didn't really bother when Shenmue III was announced. Further proof that this place is more than just a video game fan site.

True. I think the majority of my posts were in the old junk forum when I were a youngin'

The most memorable moment for me at this place was the Kotaku article. It's funny to think back at how excited, skeptical and eventually pissed off we all were...

I never posted much but bloody hell, I am going to miss this place damnit...
SaM_4000
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sailors? » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:14 pm

What a strange and wonderful time it was, I think it's the smilies I'll miss most of all :lol:. Be seeing you all at the new place.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight

Postby Peter » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:22 pm

SaM_4000 wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: People showing up to say goodbye to the Dojo, but didn't really bother when Shenmue III was announced. Further proof that this place is more than just a video game fan site.

True. I think the majority of my posts were in the old junk forum when I were a youngin'

The most memorable moment for me at this place was the Kotaku article. It's funny to think back at how excited, skeptical and eventually pissed off we all were...

Do you mean Kikizo? A great bunch of lads.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby SaM_4000 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:30 pm

Peter wrote:
SaM_4000 wrote:

Do you mean Kikizo? A great bunch of lads.

Oh yeah, my bad! Haha
SaM_4000
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Suzuki Yu » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:34 pm

Thank you all for keeping this community strong through all these years.
Exiting times ahead indeed.. Shenmue HD releases, new Shenmue game and a new Dojo! Best of luck.
Suzuki Yu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby TheThirdComing » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:46 am

Like many I thank you for keeping this forum going, it's been my no.1 source for all Shenmue goodness for all these years. It's been a true delight to see the community pull through 15+ years of hope and support and to finally have such yearning fulfilled. The dedication from this community is something unlike any other. We've brought back Shenmue! A game which sunk on abandoned console and is finally coming back! This is a real achievement guys and gals and I've been proud to be a part of it and support along the way. I'm a tad bit hesitant about the move, but I'll be there with you all to celeberate and experience what we've all been waiting for!

(I've had other accoutns before this, but couldn't remeber details so this account is from Shenmue3K' onwards :P)
TheThirdComing

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release