Less Forums

(Latest news, updates & questions about the site)

Re: Less Forums

Postby Yama » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:35 pm

Again, considering that type of talk (what the hell did I even read, am I supposed to take this seriously) is dated until March, I doubt that type of activity would be missed nor is it necessary for the worth of this site.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Neo Matrix » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:44 pm

I've mostly regarded it as a spam topic forum where there are no rules on what you can post, but I haven't seen many threads in there that I'd actually post in regularly as a result.

Neo Matrix has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Zeokage
XBL: Zeokage
Currently playing: Naruto: UNS Generations

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:47 pm

^Exactly. Whilst I'd be all for gettin rid of Junk (as it is just junk), it's an outlet for a lot of members to just spam the shit outta the place so that they don't do it in GD or owt.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Yukupo » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:06 pm

Yeah I'm not really sure when Junk became all about NSFW anyway. It seems originally it was just a place for spammy behavior that wasn't wanted clogging up General Discussion which isn't really necessary with a much smaller community it would seem. But yeah I don't really think a NSFW forum should be a desirable thing for this forum to have.
Yukupo
Digital Artist
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Neo Matrix » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:07 pm

It's got post counts off too, hasn't it?
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Zeokage
XBL: Zeokage
Currently playing: Naruto: UNS Generations

Postby Axm » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:22 pm

I really dont mind if its gone either, that seems to be the general opinion these days. But I dont care if it stays either. My personal preference is to also direct most of the discusion to general.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:39 pm

Good god, I just looked into General Gaming, and its a clutster fuck of topics, why get rid of the company (sega nintendo sony ms) specific shit? It certainly wasnt hurting anything. Ugh... this place seems like its changing and changing fast, I am neutral to some of the decisions that have been made. I would say slow it down guys, lets not jump into unfamilar territory too fast. One person left the forums ONE PERSON. That doesnt mean its automatically time to rebuild the forums from the ground up, my god its like everyone has had an epiphany or something.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:12 pm

It has nothing to do with Blue. Blue is my boy. It has to do with moving forward and helping the site prosper.

Think of it this way. We had four people living in a fourteen bedroom apartment before, there is simply no need. Simplifying the formula to keep the community together and not segregated is a good thing. And I found fourteen forums with eighty five stickies to be much more of a cluster fuck, this is clean and active. Just look at NeoGAF (at least when it was good), one forum. It works. Start subscribing to threads you find useful, it's the easiest way to take advantage of the forum software.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby Yukupo » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:17 pm

Personally I think the idea of multiple forums is rather antiquated to begin with. When you look at modern blogging type software, tags and categories make more sense. It's easier to search and organize however the user wishes to see it. But phpbb is still a bit in the past. I feel there's a lot of room for improvement with this software without making it lose the feel of a forum.

Imagine users being able to sort it how they like and pin their own categories and forums based on their search terms. Of course ultimately such a thing would rely on people properly tagging their topics. :P

Yukupo has received a thanks from: Yama
Yukupo
Digital Artist
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:19 pm

Yama wrote:I've wanted to do something like this for a while now. Many times I feel certain games or topics fit in way too many forums in regards to games.

Ridding of the Shenmue Cast forum was a start, expect big changes tomorrow. It's as if you read my mind Riku.

Btw I'm not here ATM, I'm here for good unless I announce otherwise. I had my own demons keeping me away from this place at times, they're long gone. It's not just a site I run now, it's my other baby next to the Haze.

wow, that's awesome.
whatever went on/is going on/might happen stick with us, man.
we will help out making everything work out to the best of our abilities.

less, more active forums sounds good in my book.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Yama » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:20 pm

Yukupo wrote:Personally I think the idea of multiple forums is rather antiquated to begin with. When you look at modern blogging type software, tags and categories make more sense. It's easier to search and organize however the user wishes to see it. But phpbb is still a bit in the past. I feel there's a lot of room for improvement with this software without making it lose the feel of a forum.

Imagine users being able to sort it how they like and pin their own categories and forums based on their search terms. Of course ultimately such a thing would rely on people properly tagging their topics. :P

Agreed. As for now though, bookmark and subscribe suffice fairly well.

Also with more topics in one place, it's easier to search for what you want. So many times it was hard to remember if a gaming thread was in general, Sony, etc. It's never a good thing when creating a topic fit accordingly in three forums, that's how you know the structure is flawed.

Yama has received a thanks from: Yukupo
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby mue 26 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:34 pm

Good job. I'm glad you rearranged the gaming forum, as it was pretty awful before. There was absolutely no need for Sony/Nintendo/Sega sub-sub-forums. It just meant that only about two threads (RPG and Square Enix) ever got posted in usually, while we had about four lifeless sub-sub forums.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: Yama
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:01 pm

AG after awhile the gaming forum will be fine and you'll get used to it. One thing I hope people do is don't call topics like GTAV new trailer. Just call it GTAV and let all talk and trailers go in there. Always seemed silly to me we have a topic 10 pages long called something like Ni No Kuni Screens.

As for the junk forum I'd say just delete all the nude shit and unhide it. Mostly the reason it is not used is because most people can't even see it or know how to. Just don't let nudes in and let people spam in there rather then general.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Spokane
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Axm » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:58 pm

Riku Rose wrote:AG after awhile the gaming forum will be fine and you'll get used to it. One thing I hope people do is don't call topics like GTAV new trailer. Just call it GTAV and let all talk and trailers go in there. Always seemed silly to me we have a topic 10 pages long called something like Ni No Kuni Screens.

As for the junk forum I'd say just delete all the nude shit and unhide it. Mostly the reason it is not used is because most people can't even see it or know how to. Just don't let nudes in and let people spam in there rather then general.

Totally agree with this. :smile:
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby ys » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:59 pm

Yama wrote:I had my own demons keeping me away from this place at times, they're long gone. It's not just a site I run now, it's my other baby next to the Haze.

Nice.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue Dojo